The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Another 3rd Gen Front Bumper Build - wjwerdna

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad day, my camera was dead, and we made a lot of progress I wanted to share. Bumper needs a couple pieces of trim, some mounts for fog lights, and final sanding, the whole thing is welded and ground smoothish. It's looking pretty good, hoping to have it finished this week/next weekend
Old 02-17-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet-can't wait to see the pics!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by wjwerdna

I have bought an assortment of dewalt 1/16" cutoffs, a Bosch grinding disk that came with grinder (longest lasting so far), a "gator grit", and an assortment of other ones from TSC

What diameter are you using?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Whitey13
What diameter are you using?
it's a 5" grinder, so one that came with it was 5" but 4.5" is cheaper, so ive been buying those
Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Ready for some more pictures?

Got the rest of the welding/grinding done, rough sanded everything, needs a bit more sanding work still...

click for larger

ran out of propane for the heat, so called it a night, later this week is sandblasting and painting
Old 02-19-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The teacher doesn't matter... ever, it is how you apply yourself
When the teacher is bad (not guiding, not there, unwilling to listen, ect) aspecialy as a younger kid makes trying and wanting to succeed difficult for not just me but many others. the ability to apply yourself matters much and to do what some of us do is amazing, so I do take pride in it very much so and your right in a way. Saying a teacher doesnt matter is false granted its your opinion I think the teacher matters alot.

Anyway the bumper looks good

Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Can't wait to see it done!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
When the teacher is bad (not guiding, not there, unwilling to listen, ect) aspecialy as a younger kid makes trying and wanting to succeed difficult for not just me but many others. the ability to apply yourself matters much and to do what some of us do is amazing, so I do take pride in it very much so and your right in a way. Saying a teacher doesnt matter is false granted its your opinion I think the teacher matters alot.

Anyway the bumper looks good

ok, let me redirect a little... if the teacher is an absolute pile of crap, then yes, that is bad. If the teacher is just "not a good teacher," or the student does not like the teacher it isn't an excuse to fail or do poorly in the class. I am sick of hearing people say they did bad because of the teacher. I guess I will let it settle as a difference of opinions, because I don't feel like arguing my point =)
Old 02-20-2008, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

anyway, new pictures are somewhere on the previous page, today or tomorrow should be blasting/painting... I can't wait to get this finished
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM

it's a 5" grinder, so one that came with it was 5" but 4.5" is cheaper, so ive been buying those
Let me know before you buy any more...I'll send you some samples.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

pm sent
Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KICK BUTT thats awesome

I used to draft everything up like that when I was studying architecture (which involves most of the same software) Been away from that for a few years ah i miss it everytime i want to make something new!

AWESOME WORK my friend.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drew303
KICK BUTT thats awesome

I used to draft everything up like that when I was studying architecture (which involves most of the same software) Been away from that for a few years ah i miss it everytime i want to make something new!

AWESOME WORK my friend.
Thank you very much sir!
It is incredible being able to make something in 3D like this, then generate cut dimensions and a complete BOM automatically. Spending the (several) hours on the computer has saved so much time and effort in building I can't believe myself how well it went...

Having a thorough background and understanding in how something is to be built/processed/machined is key to making it work on paper and real life though. I can't count the times someone has said "but it worked on paper" and when it is finally made, huge problems... "it worked on paper" is almost a joke to me at work, and the tool-room guys respect me for understanding how things can be made...
Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

PAINTED!!!
not sure what the "rusty" looking streaks are... weird lighting, photo only I promise

Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM

awsome job dude, post up some more pics when that bad boy is on!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:18 PM

very smooth and well designed. Thanks for the the ideas. keep it coming on the pics!!

Maybe i should get my rear bumper done already....
Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Nice job on the bumper and blueprints.

Did you think of putting a square hitch sleeve in the front for use of a portable winch? That and maybe the 2.5" tractor lights in the upper driving light holes for turn signals and you could sell these babies like hot cakes! (I understand you have no interest in selling, just saying..)
Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the comments so far guys

Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
Nice job on the bumper and blueprints.

Did you think of putting a square hitch sleeve in the front for use of a portable winch? That and maybe the 2.5" tractor lights in the upper driving light holes for turn signals and you could sell these babies like hot cakes! (I understand you have no interest in selling, just saying..)
Yep, thought of the hitch sleeve, I don't have a winch on my long-term shopping list, my own welder is first, and that is after student loans and a place to live, so it's far enough out there that I am not considering a winch yet. But if that time comes, yes, it would get welded in (later) 2inches from the bottom of the bumper, through the middle of the sheet, there is room there and it is reinforced already.

My Turn signals are already in the "parking lights;" I am happy with them there though I am not sure if I like how small the little fogs are compared to the hole (stock pipe size, since that diameter could not be rolled)

I added this edit a few posts ago, I'll copy it again in case anyone didn't see it who hasn't read back a bit:
Originally Posted by myself a few posts back
EDIT: My friend and I are contemplating the idea of marketing these bumpers "for off-road use" of course (due to implications of safety tests for roads). We are thinking about the possibility of fully customizable bumpers, with a "you name it, we make it style." We would try to keep the cost down, but truly it wouldn't be the cheapest out there, but could still be affordable, we don't have the time or resources to stock steel and materials in large quantities to get discounts.
Our problem is that we only have 6 months out of the year to work on these (Jan-March & July-Sept), he's leaving for spring break in a week, so this term is pretty much done as far as making another...

Keep the comments coming guys, I appreciate them

If there is anything (simpler) you need designed or fabbed, that can be fit in much faster and easier
Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 AM

If there is anything (simpler) you need designed or fabbed, that can be fit in much faster and easier
I got something simple for ya!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM

bumper looks sweet man!

Quick Reply: Another 3rd Gen Front Bumper Build - wjwerdna