The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

1999 4Runner Straight Axle Conversion Webcam - Tune in starting Feb. 2, 2005

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you wind up ordering the springs from here in Ft Fun?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bwillie
Did you wind up ordering the springs from here in Ft Fun?
That's the one thing I have not yet ordered. I figured out a set of shocks, but I'm out of cash. I need to do more paying work and catchup.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
That's the one thing I have not yet ordered. I figured out a set of shocks, but I'm out of cash. I need to do more paying work and catchup.
What kind of wheel travel are you expecting to achieve on it?

Chris

P.S. Are you going to have to cut into the fenderwell at all to maximize your upward travel and go with the longest shock possible?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
What kind of wheel travel are you expecting to achieve on it?
What do I expect for travel? Not much. It's quite bit more than IFS but it's no ramp champ by any means. What do I expect for strength? A LOT.

P.S. Are you going to have to cut into the fenderwell at all to maximize your upward travel and go with the longest shock possible?
I will not be cutting stuff like that. All I'm looking for here is stronger parts. I busted an IFS axle and one of my upper ball joints was seconds away from completely pulling the ball out of the cracked casting.

It's all about stronger parts and you guys think it's all about ramping.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:34 AM

What do I expect for travel? Not much. It's quite bit more than IFS but it's no ramp champ by any means. What do I expect for strength? A LOT.
I understand that, but in my opinion, if I was to do a SAS, I'd want both.
I will not be cutting stuff like that. All I'm looking for here is stronger parts. I busted an IFS axle and one of my upper ball joints was seconds away from completely pulling the ball out of the cracked casting.

It's all about stronger parts and you guys think it's all about ramping.

I don't give a flip about what I ramp, but I do care about keeping wheels on the ground, so I guess I'm confused on why you don't want to keep wheels on the ground as much as possible. Stronger is great, which is definitely an advantage of a SAS, but if the tires not on the ground to pull, it doesn't help much. Just bouncing ideas off, because that's the way I've always thought.

Chris
Old 02-23-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires on the ground that are not being pressured there by the other side of the axle are worthless. Do the math on what kits give tons of wheel travel and no loading.

I thought that 1000 RTI was the goal for the IFS truck.

I would hazard a guess that I have twice the rear travel that Steve does. He lifts rears, big deal. With two lockers, it makes not one iota of difference.

Fix your Flamer River stuff and park on something tall. Crack the whip so Stubby gets going!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Tires on the ground that are not being pressured there by the other side of the axle are worthless. Do the math on what kits give tons of wheel travel and no loading.
I didn't say tires on the ground with no pressure. I agree that a tire with virtually no pressure is just as useless as being off the ground. You're are correct!
I thought that 1000 RTI was the goal for the IFS truck.
You're right, I did say that recently, which is true. I think it would be cool only because I've seen some pretty sorry SAS's which don't flex as well as my IFS now. It think that's funny!
I would hazard a guess that I have twice the rear travel that Steve does. He lifts rears, big deal. With two lockers, it makes not one iota of difference.
I agree, but one of the reasons our rigs do so much better than jeeps it that our vehicles flex a lot better in the rear. But, whatever! It doesn't really matter, because Steve like his design as so do I. I was just posting more as a question or concern. No biggie!

Chris
Old 02-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Chris-

Are we going to Moab? I'll show you. That all.

Steve
Old 02-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

You're right about asking questions, but wrong about building relationships. I highly respect Steve, and his pioneering on our vehicles. I do test his knowledge regularly, and I'm not above apologizing if I begin to overstep or boundries of asking too many questions. He's always been extremely helpful to me, and don't get me wrong. We've had our fair share of disagreements, but he's been there, done that with a lot of stuff for out vehicles, so I repsect that. He knows and I know that we have differing opinions on certain subjects, but I've also followed his lead on a lot of modifications on our vehicles. He's anal at times, and he knows it, but we all are in our own way with respect to other things too.

The beauty of these boards is that we can all comment, offer our opinions, discuss it, argue about it, etc. and all still meet up and have a blast out on the trails.

We don't make friends by accusing other people of being rude, jerks, or pricks. We develop relationships through discussions as adults, learn from other people's mistakes, and forge our own paths(likely to find out for ourselves), etc.

Chris
WOW! damn good attitude. too bad more people don't have the same approach to a disagreement of opinions or views.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

You're right about asking questions, but wrong about building relationships. I highly respect Steve, and his pioneering on our vehicles. I do test his knowledge regularly, and I'm not above apologizing if I begin to overstep or boundries of asking too many questions. He's always been extremely helpful to me, and don't get me wrong. We've had our fair share of disagreements, but he's been there, done that with a lot of stuff for out vehicles, so I repsect that. He knows and I know that we have differing opinions on certain subjects, but I've also followed his lead on a lot of modifications on our vehicles. He's anal at times, and he knows it, but we all are in our own way with respect to other things too.

The beauty of these boards is that we can all comment, offer our opinions, discuss it, argue about it, etc. and all still meet up and have a blast out on the trails.

We don't make friends by accusing other people of being rude, jerks, or pricks. We develop relationships through discussions as adults, learn from other people's mistakes, and forge our own paths(likely to find out for ourselves), etc.

Chris

Only if more ppl thought like you Chris

(subscribed at the sametime)
Old 02-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

I'm really busy making parts today, so I don't have alot of time and the bathroom remodel people are coming and and and.............

Sometimes I just don't have time.

Now if I was still at my Software QA job, we could chat and post all day. No problem, I would still get paid. But now if I'm not out there building stuff, I don't make money.

Very few people know this, but Sonoran Steel is a a full time job. I pay for the kids to go to daycare and the full nine yards. I work 10-12 hour days building parts and love it. But if I spend too muc time on the web I get behind, like I just did.

Now it's off to some lunch, FedEx and start in on a bumper.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

I'm really busy making parts today, so I don't have alot of time and the bathroom remodel people are coming and and and.............

Sometimes I just don't have time.

Now if I was still at my Software QA job, we could chat and post all day. No problem, I would still get paid. But now if I'm not out there building stuff, I don't make money.

Very few people know this, but Sonoran Steel is a a full time job. I pay for the kids to go to daycare and the full nine yards. I work 10-12 hour days building parts and love it. But if I spend too muc time on the web I get behind, like I just did.

Now it's off to some lunch, FedEx and start in on a bumper.
thanks again for the deal on the skids and limiting straps

U da man
Old 02-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Buy the springs, that is why they invented credit cards.
Nothing moves forward until it steers right.

Sit tight.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM

IFS puts tires on the ground with no pressure. How much good does a full extension tire do with nothing but hope causing contact pressure? None. All it does is break axles if there is too much droop.

We do better than Jeeps because our rigs are longer, wider and made with some decent design in mind.

Steve, it is a City gig, so I only go in at 10. Should know tonight.

I try to be short in replying for brevity and clarity. Some interpret that as being a prick. Most who have actually met me disagree, or so I think.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:45 PM

Actually the third gen is the same width as a TJ or a YJ. Much longer though. If I remember they are right only around 91". There are also the benifits of factory lockers, 4.11 gears, lower stock transfer cases- no sucky spring under suspension -ooops sorry Steve. No the major weak point is the IFS on the yotas. And toyota guys are much easer to deal with (stereo typing).
Old 02-23-2005, 03:47 PM

IFS puts tires on the ground with no pressure. How much good does a full extension tire do with nothing but hope causing contact pressure? None. All it does is break axles if there is too much droop.

We do better than Jeeps because our rigs are longer, wider and made with some decent design in mind.

I try to be short in replying for brevity and clarity. Some interpret that as being a prick. Most who have actually met me disagree, or so I think.
Oh yeah you are a prick! Isn't awfully nice to have a penis, isn't awfully nice to have a dong......sing along you know the words.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 PM

So I guess this is why most buggies travel isn't that great, right? Wrong! I don't want to come across as a prick ever too, but it seems to be if what Adrian and Steve are saying is that flex isn't important, why do my modified buggies have insane travel if it doesn't help out on the trail? This is very confusing to me.

Chris
Old 02-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There are also the benifits of factory lockers, 4.11 gears, lower stock transfer cases- no sucky spring under suspension -ooops sorry Steve. No the major weak point is the IFS on the yotas. And toyota guys are much easer to deal with (stereo typing).
True, jeeps have all that, too bad chrysler can't build an engine that runs for sh-t. You can have all the lockers, suspension, gears, clearance etc... if your engine aint running ur still SOL
Old 02-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

I think thats the general concensus with many people on here who are as knowledgeable as you, Adrian.

What most people dont understand is that Steve doesnt "type" well, he's said it numerous times, he told me that the first time I met him. What I mean is that while he is very short and to the point with many of his responses, he is not being a rude person, he just doesnt waste too much time on the small talk. I mean you didnt ask him a question about something for your truck so that he could ask you how your day was.

On my first trip out to AZ I must admit I was a bit intimidated by Steve's reputation. But once you actually meet him you realize he really is a nice, helpful, and knowledgeable person. And above all else he is a crack-up!
So before those of you who might have a sour taste in your mouth after contacting Steve, you might consider that he is most likely not annoyed with your question, but it is straight to the point with no unnecessary filler.

The bottom line is that those who may sound like dicks on the net, really aren't and are some of the coolest dudes you're likely to meet in this sport.

there's my input, Im done

Oh and of course Steve, the SAS looks really nice!
-Casey
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah you are a prick!
I'm a prick too..........

Your just a Race Car Driving Mother Fudger.

Quick Reply: 1999 4Runner Straight Axle Conversion Webcam - Tune in starting Feb. 2, 2005