Trucks, 1st gen-'79 to '83 Post your trucks here

Pennywize's Profile...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pennywize's Profile...

**** If you have questions or comments about my truck go to this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114.../#post50595197

About a year and a half ago I bought a 1979 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Purchased for $500 sight unseen. I had it towed in to the shop where i would be performing most of the work on it.

When I first saw it, it looked pretty bad, I wish I had some pictures of the first day. The drivers side front spring pack was completely broken in half. The paint was flaking terribly and it appeared as if it had been spray painted over 2 or 3 times.
After a few evenings of work, and scoring a free stock front spring pack I had it running. Got it to pass smog, which was impressive for a 27 year old truck that had sat abandoned for 2 years. Got it insured and registered.
Then the fun started.
Someone gave me a set of 4 Rancho lift springs and 4 Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, but I couldn't be satisfied with just a lift, I had to have it all.
Over the past year I have done the following in no particular order....
Approximate 3" Rancho Springs front and back.
Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks front and back.
Yukon 4.88's and all new bearings.
LockRight in the front.
ARB locker in rear.
15x8 Black steel wheels.
34x10.50 Super Swamper LTB's
Rebuilt front axle.
New rear axle seals.
U-Bolt flip kits front and rear
removed LSPV, brake bias seems fine, probably due to large\heavy tires.
Stainless braided brake lines
New rotors, pads, drums and shoes.
Trail Gear high steer, diff armor, axle truss, 4.7's and Transfer Case rebuild, backing plate eliminators, shift knobs.
On board air.
Weber 32\36 Electric choke
Thorley Header
$30 muffler
272 Cam
Aluminum rocker assembly
Electric fan
W56 5 speed swap
New Clutch
New Flywheel
New radiator
All new belts, hoses, full tune up.
The bumpers were on it when I got it
Rattle can OD green paint! Not done yet.
H4 conversion headlights with 55w\100w H4's
$9.99 Cabela's Hella Lights for Reverse lights
4Crawler Steering shaft spacer
Moved front axle 1" forward.
Diff breather extensions
Split bench seat with center armrest from '91 Xtra Cab
Pioneer 6x9's in doors with cheap amp and iPod connected directly to input on amp (hey it's better than nothing!)
Rear 6" Trail Gear shackles, the rear Rancho springs were not as much lift as the fronts.
Rewired the whole fuse box, now theres a separate fuse block for constant battery, ignition switched, and accessory power.

I'm sure I've forgot something, I'll edit this post as needed.

What I need.
finish painting.
Marlin twin stick in the mail as I type
Rancho steering stabilizer needs to be installed
The Rancho springs are stiff in the front, I want to go to Trail Gear 4" all around, or 3" front and the TG spring hanger, 4" in back.

I've yet to get drivelines after the W56 swap last week, I haven't driven it with the 5 speed, 4.7's or cam yet. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a rear driveline.

Need to weld some sheet over the hole in the floor where the L43 shifter was.
Sliders. Need Sliders. Must have sliders.
Eventually full exo.

Bob the bed or custom flat bed? Still deciding, leaning heavily toward custom flat bed.

All work done by me, I have access to a full shop, without that I would never have been able to do it. If I had to pay someone to do the work I never could have done it.

i think thats it for now. Pics to follow shortly....

The truck has a 21R that was in it when i got it, surprisingly with the header and carb and gears it'll do 65 on the freeway if you push it, it likes about 55 though. With the header, carb, cam and rockers it's probably the most awesome 21R out there. When it dies I'll do the 3RZ swap.

Oh yeah, the Air Conditioner still works

This is the single longest post I have ever written, anywhere.

Last edited by pennywize; 08-17-2007 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Additions....
Old 08-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics

After the lift. Custom paint by my brother. Got some funny looks driving it around town like this.

My friend in the drivers seat, notice my Glock in his hand out the window, at least we live in a very small town.

Front view

Last week in the shop just after I installed the W56

Hopefully after I get my drivelines I can get some action shots!
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by pennywize; 08-17-2007 at 12:30 AM.