Arizona Arizona Chapter

Night run soon??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Night run soon??

Any interest in the AZ YT group doing a local night run in the near future? Are weekday nights hard for everyone to make? Weekends better?

I was thinking either an evening next week or perhaps Friday or Saturday (7/7, 7/8).

Some ideas:
Trail 404 (Camp Creek, North Scottsdale area... maybe 3 hrs, 2+ difficulty)
Link Bartlett to Log Corral (maybe 6 hours, have to ford the Verde, 3+ difficulty)
Hackberry Mesa (by superior, probably 6 hrs, 3+ difficulty)

Open to suggestions on dates and which trails to run. Would like to get out without the sun blaring down. Trying to keep locations pretty close to cut down on the commute distance to the trail head.

I've done 404 many times at night, Westy has done Hackberry at night (I only during the day). I have done Log Corral during the day, but never linked it to Bartlett. The would be the most adventuresome route due to the unknown.

Let's get these rigs we put so much money and time into back out on the trails...
Old 06-30-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would love to go if we could get a run goin while im in town and off work. im defintly up for it just let me know when u get one planed.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm out of these one, since I'll be up there for the sunflower run. I might hit up the night run though with the yuma 4wheelers.
lol
Old 07-01-2007, 06:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd be in... except I think I'll be up in LV again that weekend. I'll watch the thread in case my plans change.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Count me in for a couple night runs soon. Log Corral is high on my list. I still havent done that whole trail.

I would be willing to lead a run through Rocker Panel pass one of these evenings this week. Its close (Four Peaks area) and a short trail. It has one very short challenging section. Rear locker and rock sliders would be necessary.

If there is any interest in this, lets pick a night ~ Wednesday?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:38 PM

I'm in as well for a night run. Itching to get the tacoma on the trail.

Brian, what about Tuesday night since most people will not be working on the 4th? Either day is fine, just count me in.

Kent
Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kent
Brian, what about Tuesday night since most people will not be working on the 4th?
This crossed my mind last night too. Probably the best night this week to do it.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 AM

I have tentative plans for Tuesday, and I assumed most others would have plans that night as well, but I will check back here as soon as I can.

I'd be up for running Log Corral or Rocker Panel the coming weekend as well if we cant a run setup for a weekday night this week...lets see what Elvota's schedule is like...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

I had actually forgotten about no work on Wednesday. I would agree that Tuesday seems like the best night. We can all sleep in Wednesday if we get lost and are out for to long.

I'd like to do Log Corral starting from Bartlett, but don't know the exact route.

Westy, you know anyone who has done it? I know over on VJC they run it often, and at night. Maybe we can PM someone over there for directions. I think if we can get to the Verde and across, the rest will be a pretty straight forward route.

If Rocker Panel, Hackberry or other make more sense, I'd be open to those as well. Would just be nice to get back out on the trails.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

I just wish I was a bit more "local". I'd join ya...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 AM
JGM

I would be interested if it isn't a "school" night...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Elvota
I had actually forgotten about no work on Wednesday. I would agree that Tuesday seems like the best night. We can all sleep in Wednesday if we get lost and are out for to long.

I'd like to do Log Corral starting from Bartlett, but don't know the exact route.

Westy, you know anyone who has done it? I know over on VJC they run it often, and at night. Maybe we can PM someone over there for directions. I think if we can get to the Verde and across, the rest will be a pretty straight forward route.

If Rocker Panel, Hackberry or other make more sense, I'd be open to those as well. Would just be nice to get back out on the trails.
Crossing location -
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showp...68&postcount=9
Old 07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Okay... since I started this post I'll try and makes things a bit more solid.

Seems like Tuesday 7/3 makes a lot of sense. Most off us have the 4th off, so I assume this means it's not a "school day". Westy, not sure about your plans... flexible??

I think it would be great to tie Bartlett to Log Corral. I have a trail in the area (404) that I would not plan to include with this run but would be nice to get all the pieces of the puzzle worked out for a future epic journey.

All right... I am getting a bit more of a hang of Google Earth and can now draw routes. I don't know the exact route, but looking at the aerial view, this road seems to go through.

So, I took the coordinates from the VJC trail description of the ford (N 33?48.321, W 111?39.364) and came up with this.

I drew only a portion of the trail on the E bank, as I know this is the one that intersects with Log Corral, and I have run Log Corral before. Once there, the run would be old news (except it would be dark )

I'd like to meet at Bartlett lake turnoff around 7:00 PM. It will still be light, and should still be light when we get to the Verde crossing. I think that will help with navigation a lot.

In regards to the ford itself... quote from VJC: "It should be crossable by a stock rig with an experienced driver when flows are at or below 100 CFS. If flows are over 150 CFS the river may become dangerous and impassable."

So I went here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09510000

It seems to state that CFS will be 100 on 7/2. We can check again for an update.

I am thinking the run from the Bartlett meeting point back to HWY87 would be 5-6 hours. But it may take around 4. Who am I kidding... I have no idea how long it will take.

I'd like to do this run with at least three rigs for safety and group navigation. I know many on VJC have done this route before and I don't think it will be to hard to find.

So... who is in?? I think Log Corral itself is much easier from the lake to 87. Hard obstacles are downhill. Even with the dark, I believe we will have a full moon (or close to it) to help as well. It's a cool route. Hardest obstacle is a boulder filed at the end, with a few sections thrown in for good measure.

Pic of the hardest section (which we go down, not up as shown):

Any of the silent AZ YT'rs looking to join in? Post up or PM questions in regards to required vehicle capabilities if you are unsure.

Last edited by Elvota; 07-02-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 PM

I'd love to go but I just back into town yesterday and need to make some time to get teh skid plate on before sunflower.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 PM

Steve, you mean Tuesday 7/3 right?

I'm in. Just need to know where to meet.

Kent
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kent
Steve, you mean Tuesday 7/3 right?

I'm in. Just need to know where to meet.

Kent
Whoops... yes, Tuesday, 7/3. I'll go back and edit that.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Zona4r
I'd love to go but I just back into town yesterday and need to make some time to get teh skid plate on before sunflower.
That's what the 4th of July is for... armor fabrication so you can become independent from rock hits.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

I would not take any new people on Log Corral. There are a few spots that could turn real bad. Just be careful out there.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I've been watching this and really dig the idea. Can't make this one as I AM one of the poor saps working the holiday. If something still happens on the w/e too I'd dig that. Hope to be locked in the rear by this w/e too and definately expect to be at Sunflower unless something goes terribly wrong with the install. Really like the night run idea for summer runs.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I would not take any new people on Log Corral. There are a few spots that could turn real bad. Just be careful out there.
I'll head your advice. Won't be race pace, will give the tech sections the respect they deserve, and give the dark the benefit of the doubt... I am also bringing my 1.5 million CP flashlight... which works amazing for night spotting. SOAZtim said it was liking having the sun come along, and I only blinded him with it maybe 3 times max.

You busy for this run? More the merrier. Plus you can go first.

Quick Reply: Night run soon??