Arizona Arizona Chapter

Feb 23: Elvis, Upper & Lower Woodpecker: Casey & Charles from California will be here

Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wormhole
I forgot to ask if Elvis is do able with my 4runner. What about the woodpeckers?

*EDIT* Never mind I saw the photo's of the woodpeckers and um not doable . So are all of these trails going to be run or just specific ones?
Both trails are about a medium in difficulty. There are harder lines, but they all have bypasses. Some of the pictures you have seen may be on optional obstacles. Lower Woodpecker is more difficult, but it's short and you don't have to do it. Both Steve and Mike have done the trails in vehicles with no lift, just a locker or two and body protection. It will be fun and you can take a tug or two if you need it. How else are you going to learn.

Last edited by AZ4ME; 02-13-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by SOAZtim

Elvota, I always knew you were a staff. Good to see others see it as well. LOL!
Wow, look at you with the red Staff by your name. Is it a new thing. I didn't notice it before. Does it come with any percs like a parking spot, corner office, or a secretary? I guess I'll have to watch what I say about you now. I don't wanna get banned.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
Both trails are about a medium in difficulty. There are harder lines, but they all have bypasses. Some of the pictures you have seen may be on optional obstacles. Lower Woodpecker is more difficult, but it's short and you don't have to do it. Both Steve and Mike have done the trails in vehicles with no lift, just a locker or two and body protection. It will be fun and you can take a tug or two if you need it. How else are you going to learn.
x2 - couldnt have said it any better. You will be in good company and they will make sure you get through OK.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AHHH! YIKES! Even though it was deep at least it wasn't too fast moving or Elvota would be somewhere south of phoenix by now. Good pics. How did the door seals hold? Got any pics of the interior?
Luckily... no leaks on the inside. I did have to stand up and out the sunroof to plead for assistance though.

Elvota, I always knew you were a staff. Good to see others see it as well. LOL!
Yes, evidently I am a Super Staff... in RED even.

Wow, look at you with the red Staff by your name. Is it a new thing. I didn't notice it before. Does it come with any percs like a parking spot, corner office, or a secretary?
Yup, it's a new thing. Evidently I can find jobs that don't pay anything pretty easily. I think I do get a security envoy on all further trail runs, so at least you won't have to get your feet wet next time.

I guess I'll have to watch what I say about you now. I don't wanna get banned.
Bet you wish you hadn't posted such embarrassing pics of me now. You guys will have to start referring to me as "Super Elvoterator"
Old 02-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by westy44runner
x2 - couldnt have said it any better. You will be in good company and they will make sure you get through OK.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 PM

I'm a maybe for this run now. Might have a date !! Probable be running up to Sunflower/4 Peaks if it works out. If not I'll be there anyways!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up Steve; the Parke family is in and looking forward it.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Any open seats?
My truck just puked out some metal shards from the rear diff. Maybe the spider gears...
It still drives, but I trust it about as much as I would a kia or worse a land rover... I don't want to kill it so it won't be driving much until I figure out what to do............
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 PM

I should have an open seat. I'm sure there will be a few other's that have seats available also if other people are wanting to ride along.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Contributing Member

Any open seats?
I have to pass on this run or I'd offer the seats I have.

My truck just puked out some metal shards from the rear diff. Maybe the spider gears...
Sorry to hear that Tim. I've got that extra diff if you want to swap it in. Won't be able to 4WD, but should be ready for plenty of 2WD miles until you get the E-Locker setup you want.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Elvota
I have to pass on this run or I'd offer the seats I have.

Sorry to hear that Tim. I've got that extra diff if you want to swap it in. Won't be able to 4WD, but should be ready for plenty of 2WD miles until you get the E-Locker setup you want.
Thanks Steve. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I use the 4wd at least every other weekend so I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to take the leap and either get it back to how it was or take a jump to a locker and regear at the same time.

I should have an open seat. I'm sure there will be a few other's that have seats available also if other people are wanting to ride along.
Cool. Wormhole said he may be there as well. I'll either be there or working on my 4runner if there is something I can get done this weekend.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Steve. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I use the 4wd at least every other weekend so I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to take the leap and either get it back to how it was or take a jump to a locker and regear at the same time.
Understood. Just figured if it was getting undriveable for work and such 2WD might be an option.

Check with Zuk if you end up building a 3rd. He's a great guy to work with down in Chandler.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/

Who knows... he may even have a lead on a stock 3rd like what you have.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Red face

Understood. Just figured if it was getting undriveable for work and such 2WD might be an option.

Check with Zuk if you end up building a 3rd. He's a great guy to work with down in Chandler.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/

Who knows... he may even have a lead on a stock 3rd like what you have.
I know what you mean. I really appreciate the offer. I'm tempted, but trying to figure it out. There are so many options.
I was at Zuks house last night. He thinks spider gears are gone. He has another open diff he could install pretty cheaply. Its just hard to decide=

aussie locker and stock gears.
Aussie locker and 4.56
Aussie locker and 4.88

Open diff and any of the above.

ARB and any of the above.

Elocker and any of the above.

Zuk only will work on the rear so I have that to decide on too. If I regear i have to take it somewhere else to get that fronts done.
4wheelers in phoenix has more than a week wait to get gears done once I receive whichever I want to install. decisions decisions.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

I was at Zuks house last night. He thinks spider gears are gone. He has another open diff he could install pretty cheaply. Its just hard to decide
If you wanna get that stock diff from him, I can help you put it in. Probably take an hour or so. Hardest part is dealing with the drum brakes... but it's a good excuse to replace the pads at the same time.

Zuk only will work on the rear so I have that to decide on too. If I regear i have to take it somewhere else to get that fronts done.
How come he does the rear only? Something to do with the diff itself... or because you can't drive your 4Runner after you have pulled the front diff?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

If you wanna get that stock diff from him, I can help you put it in. Probably take an hour or so. Hardest part is dealing with the drum brakes... but it's a good excuse to replace the pads at the same time.

How come he does the rear only? Something to do with the diff itself... or because you can't drive your 4Runner after you have pulled the front diff?
I agree with the drums. Westy was cool about me bugging him the other night. I thought I was going to hurt them I was pounding on them so much. They are really rusted on there or something. (not a lot of rust, but they just don't want to budge)
That may be the way to go. Or if I find someone to "set" the gears and locker up could you help me pull the front out? It seems to cut down on the cost a lot to hand them a front and rear.

He just said he hate the front clam type diffs. He took a look at one once and said no way.
I can understand and he is a good guy.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM

I agree with the drums. Westy was cool about me bugging him the other night. I thought I was going to hurt them I was pounding on them so much. They are really rusted on there or something. (not a lot of rust, but they just don't want to budge)
That may be the way to go. Or if I find someone to "set" the gears and locker up could you help me pull the front out? It seems to cut down on the cost a lot to hand them a front and rear.

He just said he hate the front clam type diffs. He took a look at one once and said no way.
I can understand and he is a good guy.
Tim, what do you need to do with the drum brakes? The whole axle shaft and brake assembly can be removed with the 4 bolts on the back side. If you just want to take the drum off (to reduce the weight), you can use a couple of 12mmx1.5 bolts (IIRC). There are threaded holes on the wheel mounting surface for these bolts. As you turn the bolts in, it pushes the drum away from the assembly.

Kent
Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by kent
Tim, what do you need to do with the drum brakes? The whole axle shaft and brake assembly can be removed with the 4 bolts on the back side. If you just want to take the drum off (to reduce the weight), you can use a couple of 12mmx1.5 bolts (IIRC). There are threaded holes on the wheel mounting surface for these bolts. As you turn the bolts in, it pushes the drum away from the assembly.

Kent
Ya, Kent is right. Unless you need/want to do maintenance on the rear drums, there is no need to mess with them. Unbolt them from the axle housing, disconnect the brake lines and e-brake assy. and pull the whole thing out.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Just keep in mind that you CAN NOT drive that Semi-Float front end without the axles in and those need a diff to spin.

So once you pull that front diff, the truck is dead in the water.

Unless you convert it to Manual Hubs then you can drive it all day long. 86-95 IFS was Full Float. 95.5-04 is Semi-Float, except for Base Tacoma's with Manual Hubs.

Get Stilts to sell you his Manual Hub Setup. It makes living in our world easier.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

For some reason I thought I had to pull the drums to disconnect the parking brake.

But, my 2nd Gen may have had a different setup... or my memory is wrong. Both are very possible.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kent

Kent
I was going to take them off before we determined what the noise was. I was fairly sure that it was in the diff, but needed to rule it out. I was also going to do it to check the drums and pads.
I saw the holes, but I didn't see anything to turn. I'll look again. If I end up needing to remove the third and the front diff I think I'l go ahead and pull them to clean them out and check on the pad to see whats left.
Thank you kent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feb 23: Elvis, Upper & Lower Woodpecker: Casey & Charles from California will be here