Arizona Arizona Chapter

Anyone her go Spelunking

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone her go Spelunking

Does anyone here go spelunking? I did it a bunch back in Missouri growing up and a little up in Idaho. Now I'm wanting to get back into it and looking for some caves to explore and some good resources.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 PM

I used to a do a little.
I know a few caves down around Tucson...Peppersauce, Hidden, Crystal, Onyx. I could give you directions to the first two. the second I'd have to look around. Back in the day you'd have to get a key for Crystal from the Forest Service. I can look at some GIS layers and see if I can find any there if you'd like.

Any interest in old mines? I know it's not the best idea, but if you're careful it's not that bad.

I do know there's a better chance of caves where there's a lot of ocotillo and lechugia growing. Those guys love limestone.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Nope, haven't done mines but those are a different beast.

I'm not a big fan of caves that are well and are guided. I've been use't (is that even a word)to have to hick to get them.

The smallest cave I've been in was called "Uncle Wiggles" and for about the first 500-600' or so you were on your belly wiggling though about a 1 maybe 2' high tunnel.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 AM

none of the ones I mentioned are guided. Peppersauce is VERY well known but big enough that you can find some really cool spots. I remember belly crawling in there for about 200'. Got so tight you had to take your helmet off to fit. Finally it pinched out and we all had to turn around. FUN!!!

Hidden Cave is good. It's along a well known trail but the cave itself isn't that well known. It's a series of tubes and chambers that I haven't been all the way through.

Let me know if you want me to check into any others.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by wormhole
I'm not a big fan of caves that are well and are guided. I've been use't (is that even a word)to have to hick to get them.
Ah, crap that sentence doesn't even make sense.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
might want to check out www.uer.ca its about Urban exploring and exploring drains / caves. (there are a couple of YT guys on it as well) not really "spelunking" but close to the idea.