Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 peaks

Did a little run with El Vota up to 4 peaks today. Pics up at www.soaztim.com

Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Looks like a lot of fun, it has been awhile since I have gone.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM

WTF with the FJ. What a waste.

Anyhow looked like a good time. I wish there where mountains like that here in Yuma to play in.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Good to hear from you. I hope the balljoints worked out okay.
I'm jealous that you can drive south to the ocean so easily!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Where: Beeline Highway and Four Peaks Rd. (AKA NF-143)
Just North East of Phoenix, AZ

Directions from Phoenix: Take the 101 to Shea and turn East. Take this to the Beeline(AKA Highway-87). Turn North on the Beeline (87). Take this 15 miles. The turn is just before mile marker 204. Turn Right on Four Peaks Rd (NF-143) (east). Take the dirt road less than a mile to the restrooms and parking area.

When: February 9th. 9am-3pm. (Come by to fill 1 bag or 20 whatever you have time for. Feel free to show up anytime between 9am-3pm and leave when you need to.)

What to bring: A desire to leave it a little better than you found it. Trash bags will be provided!

Recommended Items: Gloves, long pants, sun block, a hat, water, snacks.

For more info please contact: Tim Huber
Or
http://fourpeakspickup.blogspot.com/

Thanks to: Racer Offroad for $150 worth of gift certificates that will be raffled off!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
Good to hear from you. I hope the balljoints worked out okay.
I'm jealous that you can drive south to the ocean so easily!
We'll see how they hold up this weekend.

I'll be there for the cleanup.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Very cool! If you need a floor to crash on let me know.

Originally Posted by wormhole
We'll see how they hold up this weekend.

I'll be there for the cleanup.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:58 AM

It looks like someone couldn't afford their car payment anymore and let the insurance company deal with it.

I went up there with a brother New Year's weekend.

We just took the main road from the Beeline to Rosevelte Lake. We did also take the side road to the two trail heads up there. I saw lots of other side roads. Are there any good trails out there?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by az984Runner
I saw lots of other side roads. Are there any good trails out there?
Might depend on your definition of "good".

We found a technical one making a left at the radio towers. Had some off camber and cross cut ditches. A few boulder sections and a mine. SOAZTim did great as usual, but did end up with a dent in his rear bumper. There were some truck eating holes on that trail.

I have found some others off the main road down in the foothills that are challenging, and there are many ways to get from the 4Peaks road to Saguaro lake.

In my opinion, the area overall would be considered mild... but there are definitely some more challenging trails if you know where to look or are willing to explore.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota

We found a technical one making a left at the radio towers. Had some off camber and cross cut ditches. A few boulder sections and a mine. SOAZTim did great as usual, but did end up with a dent in his rear bumper. There were some truck eating holes on that trail.
That is Edwards Park, it goes way back in there. Your destination is a picturesque meadow deep in.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM

We found a technical one making a left at the radio towers.
What direction would that be? The only road I remember seeing at the tower would head you west.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
That is Edwards Park, it goes way back in there. Your destination is a picturesque meadow deep in.
I think the main road goes to a meadow. I never knew of it's name, but Edwards Park could definitely be it. I have been to the end once. The trail Tim and I took was a less used side route off of this main road. More technical with some good views.

What direction would that be? The only road I remember seeing at the tower would head you west.
Well, this could get confusing... but I'll try my best. There is the main 4Peaks road from HWY 87, over the mountain and then back down to HWY 188. At the radio towers or just before, there is a turn off the main road. This turn has a cattle guard right away. The road is now less traveled, and if you stay on it will eventually end (I guess at Edwards Park ).

We took a right turn maybe 5 or so minutes in, but I can't remember the trail number. I can probably dig it up though if you are interested in finding it. By description, the right turn almost looks like a camping spot but the road goes on through some slickrock type terrain. Soon after you drop into a rocky right hand bend. 5 or so minutes after that you'll see a mine entrance on the left just before a stream bed.

Mind you... the trail gets harder beyond the mine. If you are having trouble at this point, best bet is most likely to turn around. Tim hit his bumper on the climb out the other side. A locker or some sort of traction device would be preferred as there are a few places where it's easy to lift a wheel and loose traction.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Tim, did you contact he BLM or the police about it possible being stolen or removed.

This is one I came across at the beginning of the year and was removed with the help of the BLM and some of the members of the Utah 4wheel Drive Assoication.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

It looks like someone couldn't afford their car payment anymore and let the insurance company deal with it.

I went up there with a brother New Year's weekend.

We just took the main road from the Beeline to Rosevelte Lake. We did also take the side road to the two trail heads up there. I saw lots of other side roads. Are there any good trails out there?
What El Vota said!
I've taken a couple of roads around here. The one we took was fun and challenging enough to be interesting. Hard enough that you should go with at least one other truck. It can be done without damage, but alas I got a bit lazy. I wanted to do this to myself ,but then I realized it was actually all El Vota's fault and it was all better.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Tim, did you contact he BLM or the police about it possible being stolen or removed.

This is one I came across at the beginning of the year and was removed with the help of the BLM and some of the members of the Utah 4wheel Drive Assoication.

Right on wormhole! We'll get the whole southwest cleaned up eventually!
The Forest Service and Sheriff are on the FJ. Its a crime scene for now and can't be touched. If the give me the okay we'll and take it out, but being a government job... I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Then I realized it was actually all El Vota's fault and it was all better.
Shiny trucks bad. Elvota make them good.

Body damage sure does seem to follow me around. Hopefully you aren't to heart broke and will be able to get some more qualified protection soon.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Shiny trucks bad. Elvota make them good.

Body damage sure does seem to follow me around. Hopefully you aren't to heart broke and will be able to get some more qualified protection soon.
Thats why you need to follow us tomorrow
Old 01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Yep Wormhole,
thank you. The Sheriff is on it!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by westy44runner
Sounds like you are implying some payback may be in order. Just help me keep my glass intact and I'll still be smiling at the end.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by westy44runner
Westy44,
If you want that Hundo we talked about make sure he pays good!
I'll go down and oosenle his ugnutsle.

Quick Reply: 4 peaks