Washington Washington Chapter

*Walkin out on WALKER Valley*

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Walkin out on WALKER Valley*

Other than my buddies oil guage blowing its line, and my rigs sheared valve stem, todays trip to walker went much worse than expected. Things go wrong, I'm not worried about the truck problems, what I'm pissed off about is the fact the every time I travel all the way out to mt vernon just to go 4wheeling where I'm supposed to, I find that the loggers or county workers or whoever does the trails out there are closing more and more of the wheelable truck trails.

What's the deal with this guys? Does anybody in mt vernon/bham area know what the plan is with walker valley? As far as I can tell, they're shutting most of the park down to log it, and they're closing all but about 5 of the truck trails, and only making ATV and dirtbike trails new. Within the past year I've seen like a 50-70% reduction by my eye, and I can't figure it out.
Some1 please explain this to me. I'm ready to go bernanas.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty typical. Im not familiar with up there but that crap is happening more everywhere.

Hell Elbe was destroyed by logging a year ago :/ Not sure if the clubs have restorted the trails yet but it was pretty pathetic last time i was up there.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
At least you still have trails to wheel. Here in CA we've lost a lot of stuff this year.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Can't we do something about this? I feel like I have absolutely no say in what's happening to my forests, and nobody cares whether there's trails to wheel or not, only if the 4wheelers AREN'T on their trails. I mean, this isn't some sport like freestyle running where 80% of ppl you tell about it don't know what your talking about, its four wheeling, and I'm ready to start carvin my own trails if we are just going to be forgotten and be expected to forget about it and move on w/ our lives like everyone that doesn't do this.
Imagine if they stopped producing football pads, stadiums, and footballs. Those are essential to the sport, just like trails are to us. I preach not littering and practice treading lightly, but I'm getting really sick of the closed gates and blocked trailheads, JUST BECAUSE.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone is sick of it. But the garbage dumpers tweakers and kids have been and still are ruining it for everyone.

The loggers do 100x the destruction any offroader ever has or will but we're the easy crowd to blame and the people in charge of the lands aren't people into our sport. They live in the city.

Wish there was more that could be done. Dedicated organized clubs are the best avenue to fight the closures and keep the trails open.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Log into nwwheelers.com if you REALLY want to find out. Go on DNR's site abd research. There was a huge washout at walker a month ago and that shut stuff down in order to fix and/or bypass what was left. A LOT of your questions can be answered by reading thru threads on NWW. DO NOT EVER CUT YOUR OWN TRAILS. That's one of many reasons why Reiter pit got shut down and its been YEARS in the making to reopen.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the tip blue, I will definitely check it out. I'm mostly joking about the whole trail cuttin idea....

....mostly....haha