Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

SwitchDoctor

Old 01-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SwitchDoctor

In October, I purchased a new master power window switch for my '86 4Runner as my old one wasn't working well (the contacts were hard to press with the buttons and the bezel screws were stripped so it kept loosening and was just aggravating). I'm moving and need to get the vehicle safetied, and operational windows are part of my province's safety criteria.

I was going to fab a new switch, but I was studying for my LSATs at the time to go to Law School next fall.

I bought SwitchDoctor's switch off ebay (they sell it on their website too). Here's the ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1988-To...item5ae35ea98a

You can see that they claim the switch will install in under 10 minutes, has a lifetime warranty, etc, etc, and, if it doesn't work, they claim to have fantastic customer service and will work to help you!

I purchased the switch, and wasn't able to install it till I got home for Christmas. When I did, it turned out the switch was wired all wrong from the company and only the power locks worked (incorrectly might I add).

I contacted the company and they provided me with a PDF one of you guys apparently gave them of how to rewire the switch. I just used my original switch as a template so I knew nothing more would go wrong.

Long story short, the power windows still don't work. It turns out that their wiring ended up frying the 'door control relay'. I called them. They said they were already 'aware of the problem', and were working to fix it, but wouldn't do so for a few more months (while they continue to sell these units). I told them it was unfortunate this happened, to send me another relay since their window switch caused the failure (presumably there are also others in my exact position). The best they offered me was a $50 credit for the switch I'd rewired myself (or I could send the switch back for a refund... but I would still have a broken relay AND need a switch).

I ended up calling them today, and they told me that I should 'do what I had to do', and that it was their manufacturer who made the error, they just sold the parts, and it's not their problem. The best they would offer is the $50 credit.

Anyways, the relay they fried is the 'door control' module part number 85980-89101. Apparently the module is fixable (according to them and a few members on the site), but, I don't have soldering or other equipment on hand, and don't want to ruin anything even more.

These guys have made it that my truck has to stay in Ontario when it should have been coming back with me to school for this semester, as it can't be safetied where I'm moving (Quebec) until this issue is fixed.

I'm really upset with this company -- I just wanted to save anyone else the hassle of dealing with this terrible company and having them risk breaking your car and then not working to make it right.

Best,
khany2002

edit: Mods, if this isn't the right section to post this in, feel free to move it where necessary!

Last edited by khany2002; 01-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Had the exact same problem with their driver side master switch. Nice switch but it was wired wrong. I fixed the wiring by switching the positions of the connectors but the window still did not work. I went to my Toyota dismantler and got a used relay and now every thing works very well.
Sorry to hear that your relay was ruined, but a replacement goes in very easily, and then your windows will work like new again.

Last edited by Buck87; 01-06-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Thanks for your reply Matt!

I'm totally OK with buying a replacement relay -- it's just that in my area (Ontario Canada), none of these trucks exist in boneyards, so it's spending the time to hunt one down and have it shipped on my dime -- for a part I never should have had to even deal with in the first place.

If you don't mind, could you PM me which dismantler you used and how much the relay was? If it's around $50, I'll take their crappy refund and move on with life, but as of yet, all the ones I'm finding are closer to $100 (especially when shipping is factored in).

Cheers,
khany2002

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SwitchDoctor