Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Lil' Skip's Offroad Gas tank skid

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lil' Skip's Offroad Gas tank skid

Finally received my gas tank skid from LSO. I must say I am very happy with the quality of the product. The install instructions are some of the best I have seen. Best part...it just fits. No problems with the install and I am looking forward to testing it out soon. I will update later after I smash it on some rocks.

Link here:
http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear the feedback.

It's difficult to make a product like this to fit right on different vehicles. Toyota has close tolerances but every vehicle is a little different. We feel that we produce a product that is close to "one off custom" but still universal. We have even fit one on a 3rd gen that the frame has been tweaked from a previous accident.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
make one for a 2nd gen :/ its crazy how much aftermarket armor selections the 3rd gens have...
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Field Report: I have owned Lil' Skip's fuel tank skid for almost three months. I have managed to make use of the new skid several times already, and it has held up beautifully--no bends or dents after heavy contact, just scratches on the powder-coating. Skip's skid is the perfect complement to the Budbuilt IFS and belly skids. No longer is my fuel tank skid the lowest place underneath; it is actually slightly higher now than Bud's belly skid. When I bought the Budbuilt skids two years ago, I told Bud that the 3rd Gens needed a fuel tank skid because the stock one was lower than everything else and was flimsy, just like the other stock skids. He said he was gonna make one, but he still has not fabbed one, so BRAVO Lil Skip!!!

Some particulars that are important if you have a suspension kit that gives your rear axle a lot of flex, like Sonoran Steel 1.2:

--The side of the skid next to the driveshaft is designed to avoid contact with the driveshaft, including placement of a brace to avoid contact with the driveshaft flange.

--The inside back corner of the skid has been angled to avoid contact with the rear diff.

--The outside rear corner has been angled to avoid contact with the rear anti-sway bar (SS 1.2 has custom brackets that reposition this bar.)

--Lil Skip (Chris) is not only a talented fabricator but also wheels a 2000 4Runner, and so he knows first-hand the need for a robust fuel tank skid for our 3rd Gens. He has worked hard to produce one that really works.

Last edited by RockyMtRunner; 10-29-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Pics or it does not exist.......
Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 AM

I'm glad that things are working for you guys. There are a couple of changes in this next run that I building right now.

RockyMtRunner, It was good to see that you have used/scratched your skid.

My last trip to Moab, one of the guys that has the tank skid was constantly sliding on his.

Last edited by Gerdo; 10-29-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
I'm glad that things are working for you guys. There are a couple of changes in this next run that I building right now.

RockyMtRunner, It was good to see that you have used/scratched your skid.

My last trip to Moab, one of the guys that has the tank skid was constantly sliding on his.
Nice, I can't wait to get mine!! That's nice to hear your comments about the extra driveshaft clearance RockyMtRunner, I rub the driveshaft flange on the stock skid at full flex so that will be nice.

Gerdo, what changes did you make for this batch?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Requested Pics

Here are pics of my Lil' Skip fuel tank skid.
The light in some of the pics makes the skid look unpainted. Actually it is powder-coated black.

Profile View

The front of the fuel skid fits above the Budbuilt belly skid.

Wear and Tear

Angled corner on the control arm side.

Good clearance between driveshaft flange and skid.

Last edited by RockyMtRunner; 10-29-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Brian2sun, my driveshaft flange pressed a dent into my stock fuel tank skid to make room for itself after my tech installed the SS 1.2 suspension kit. We also had to do some cutting and hammering along the side of the stock skid to keep the driveshaft balancing weight from tearing up the side of the stock skid.

I am happy to report that Skip's skid does not contact the driveshaft nor its flange at any point. And I really tried to make contact happen before posting my "trail report" above. Yesterday, I crawled thru the deepest series of whoodeedoo holes I could find in my area (#360I off of Gold Camp Rd). The holes were so deep that one or another wheel was catching two/three feet of air as I crawled thru. I did not hear, nor could I visually see, any contact whatsoever between skid, shaft, flange.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 PM

That is great news. I recently got some LC shocks because my OMEs were limiting the rear axle travel and I was rubbing the driveshaft even with those shorter shocks. Then I put some sweet new LCAs I fabbed up and those freed up even more travel. I think this skid is going to be perfect especially after seeing your pics and reading about hanging tires in the air. Thanks for the review and thanks Gerdo for making these!!

Here is the write up my buddy Jason did on the rear LCAs we made if you're interested in copying the idea or having him/us make you a set...
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...wer-links.html
I got to test them out a couple days ago and I actually split a boulder when I landed the bung for the heim joint right down on the rock. Knocked a little paint off the arm, killed the boulder. These things are one of the best mods I've done armor-wise since the stock LCAs and mounts are weak sauce.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
That is great news. I recently got some LC shocks because my OMEs were limiting the rear axle travel and I was rubbing the driveshaft even with those shorter shocks. Then I put some sweet new LCAs I fabbed up and those freed up even more travel. I think this skid is going to be perfect especially after seeing your pics and reading about hanging tires in the air. Thanks for the review and thanks Gerdo for making these!!

Here is the write up my buddy Jason did on the rear LCAs we made if you're interested in copying the idea or having him/us make you a set...
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...wer-links.html
I got to test them out a couple days ago and I actually split a boulder when I landed the bung for the heim joint right down on the rock. Knocked a little paint off the arm, killed the boulder. These things are one of the best mods I've done armor-wise since the stock LCAs and mounts are weak sauce.
you really need that skid... Your gas tank skid is totaled. mine is getting there...... lol My cross member is bent!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 AM

Nice

Thatskid is a definite upgrade looks like it takes a hit