Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Also, with your 4Runner, in 287 miles, you didn't think to ever look over at the oil pressure gauge? And notice it was on ZERO?

to be fair, a lot of the v6's have a problem where the needles read WAAAY below where they should be...

mine regularly runs at half BEFORE the first check mark...
in fact, the techs at the local toyota dealership even overfilled my truck trying to get the pressure gauge to read right...
Old 03-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's why I still say do a visual check yourself within 10 miles of leaving the place if you are choosing to take a chance with those places.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

I can't believe that it went that long with locking up.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I used to work for them; I have all the right to bash on them

ultimately in the end, the person the blame comes down to one person, assuming things are still run the same way they were ran when I was there

There were basically 3 positions; Lower-bay technician, Upper-bay technician, and Superviser

*Lower-bay technician, obviously did the draining, put the plug back on and tight, changing the filter, checking dif fluids, checking trans (if manual) and t-case fluid, greased fittings, and did a once-over to spot leaks or any other abnormalities

*Upper-bay technician, checked fluids under the hood (PS flud, washer fluid, coolant via the overflow tank, and trans if it's an auto), checked the air filter (unless aftermarket), cheked tire air pressure (unless nitrogen charged), informed the lower-bay technician what filter is needed, picks up that filter to make sure it's the right one (verifies by writing the store # and date on it) and oils up the O-ring on it, then puts oil in it once told by the lower-bay that the plug's back in, then waits for confermation from lower bay that everything's clear to start (ie; filter's on and their hands are out of the way) Once the vehicle starts, the upper bay technician is SUPPOSE TO LOOK AT THE DASH LIGHTS AND VERIFY THAT NO OIL PRESSURE OR LEVEL LIGHT IS LIT, INDICATING NO OIL PRESSURE (in the process of doing this, you will normally here that person yell "Light's out, pressure's up"). Immediately after, the lower-bay technician yells "System sealed" after he verifys that the filter or anything else is leaking under the vehicle. The upper-bay technician then checks the trans fluid if it's an auto, adds if needed, then shuts the vehicle off. THEN, after all that, they do a final safety check, where the upper-bay technician gets down and actually watches the lower-bay technician as they move from rear to front of the vehicle, checking everything as they go; for example: "Rear differential's full and plug's tight, transfer case is full and plug's tight, manual transmission's full and plug's tight, front differential's full and plug's tight, wrench on oil drain plug (while physically putting a wrench on the plug) drain plug's tight, hand on (filter number; they use Penzoil, for for instance PZ51) oil filter's dry (not leaking) and tight, greased 4 u-joints and 10 fittings on the front suspention", then they show the upper-bay technician the old filter that was removed WITH THE OLD GASKET STILL ON IT. After wich the lower-bay AND upper-bay technician's work is done

*Superviser, greet's the customer, get's their info on the vehicle, ring's out customers, but the most inportant thing I would say they do is a QUALITY INSPECTION; the first step of that QI is to CHECK THE OIL LEVEL!!! They then check to make sure all the caps under the hood are on tight, and shut the hood and tell the upper-bay technician to pull the vehicle out once the lower-bay technician has closed the safety net that's over the open bay

Even if the upper-bay technician, who's job is suppose to be PUTTING OIL BACK IN THE MOTOR, screws up and doesn't do so, they should catch it as soon as they start it. If for some reason that does slip by the superviser is to be held in full responsibility, becuase they do the final check, and are the last ones to check the oil level!

So I don't know if they still run things the same way, this was 4 years ago, and I know they were just bought by someone else about 4 months or so back, but it's that last person that does the final check that holds full responsibility for things like this when it happens.

And I can tell you that the person that did the QI used to be printed on the reciepts, but I couldn't tell you is they still do that; might be something you want to take a look at.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-14-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 PM

How the hell did it last 287 miles on no oil! That one thing is what I find hardest to believe in this hole story. I'd find it pretty difficult to believe an engine would last 50 miles with zero lubrication, but 287!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RiNkY
How the hell did it last 287 miles on no oil! That one thing is what I find hardest to believe in this hole story. I'd find it pretty difficult to believe an engine would last 50 miles with zero lubrication, but 287!
maybe he uses Z-Max; I seen the video where they ran a motor with no oil in it after running that stuff through it

btw, I have that stuff in my 22re actually dropped my temp down a little! like, 15 degree on a hot day!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always show the customer the dipstick after we have put oil in it and let it run to verify the level. They see that its full, sign off on it.... and boom. not our problem anymore.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Squeebs
I always show the customer the dipstick after we have put oil in it and let it run to verify the level. They see that its full, sign off on it.... and boom. not our problem anymore.
that's common practice too, if the customer stands out side and watches

I know I watched the guys like a hawk last weekend just when I had new tires installed and an alignment done, lol
Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 AM

One thing led me to never go to my local jiffy lube again. It wasn't all the horror stories, which I heard from just about everyone. It was one incident. I was 18 years old and had an 87 4runner. I had just put a new fram air filter in it. I took the truck to Jiffy screwed and had an oil change done. They brought me some Auto-Lite dirty as hell ROUND air filter and told me "Sir, your air filter is dirty. We recommend that you purchase one of ours and have it replaced". I ended up having a heated argument with the supervisor and thier tech. First my air filter was a different color, size and shape. Also it was BRAND NEW! Get real the people at my local Jiffy Screwed are just con artist trying to rip someone off!!
DO NOT GO TO THE JIFFY SCREWED IN EASTON MARYLAND!!! ok thanx i feel so much better now
Old 03-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time for me to go to jiffy lube too. I need a new engine :-)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Time for me to go to jiffy lube too. I need a new engine :-)
hahaha, you wanna know something sad is that the same thought ran through my mind
Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
hahaha, you wanna know something sad is that the same thought ran through my mind
LOL! We should all meet at this same Jiffy Lube!

Anyway, people make mistakes. It happens, we are human. I pump gas all day long and sometimes I overfill tanks or when they only want $20 I accidentally fill it up. Its natural and its going to happen. Sorry it happened to you.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many cases of Jiffy Lube catastrophes will it take for them to shut down?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah it definately sucks but at least I am getting it replaced. I know mistakes happen and I am ok with that. It's just the whole horrible customer service after the fact that has me pissed off.

By the way, I talked to the Toyota dealership mechanic yesterday. He has a Scion sitting in his shop right now that was driven over 700 miles without oil in it before it seized!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya maybe they messed up but 287 miles and you never noticed that you had NO oil pressure in 287 miles of driving? Also, that thing had to sound like a box of bolts in a paint shaker.

Glad they are fixing it for you.

There was never a clue that there was a problem??

900 for a rebuilt motor......man where is that? I may be interested!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

The oil pressure always read fine. Neither me or my mechanic can figure that one out yet. And it sounded just fine. I use it as my daily driver but I work about ten minutes from home. The first sign of anything being wrong was about two miles before it locked up. I cranked it up to drive home and heard a VERY light pinging noise which went away once the truck warmed up a little. Started driving and a few miles down the road the pinging came back. By the time I was at a point on the highway where I could pull over it got incredibly worse.

As for the rebuilt engine, My mechanic gets them from somewhere in California. Not exactly sure what company but I will try to find out and let you know.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that would be cool as I am in california!!!

Please PM me and let me know
Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Ya maybe they messed up but 287 miles and you never noticed that you had NO oil pressure in 287 miles of driving? Also, that thing had to sound like a box of bolts in a paint shaker
My truck doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, what would you suggest I do then
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM

dang nab, sounds like a pretty good checklist, but still i do know someone that had there drain plug stripped?? but for me ---- watch my kid do it :0
Old 03-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get em to get you a 3.4 and swap it in.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube