Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And you thought ifs sucked for rock crawling...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Exactly I wasn't trying to say your definition of rockcrawling was wrong, I was just stating that I don't think you have to have a rock buggy to be able to rock crawl. Idk if that's what you were intending to say, that's just what I got out of what you said. Your opinion is fine, I was just stating mine as well. There isn't really a written definition of rock crawling, unless I'm missing something?

And there is no way an IFS yota with a rear locker is going through the Sluices, unless they want there truck to look like it just got murdered lol I agree, there is no way an IFS rig could keep up rock crawling with a SA rig hands down, its been proven millions of times over.

I agree most people on this site think that rock crawling is going wheeling and goin over some rocks here and there. Most people on this site don't even actually use their trucks so just let them have fun when they think they are rock crawling lol

Like I said Idk about trails in CO, I'd assume there are many very difficult and pretty trails because CO has some large and beautiful mountains. I can't compare CA wheeling and CO wheeling, but I can assure you that the Rubicon and Fordyce are no cake walks but for a tube buggy, the Rubicon would not provide hardly any challenges. I don't even think that wheeling in a rock buggy would be fun. It would be way to easy. I believe it takes more skill to navigate an IFS rig than to be able to just point your rig wherever you want to go and just crawl over it like you could on trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce in a buggy.
I agree 100%.

That is exactly why I'm still IFS. Its hard to wheel IFS. To me, thats fun.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a pretty cool buggy and I wish I could go see it in action. This years KOH looks like it would be really fun to go see.

It is cool to see something being built that is different. It will be interesting to see how it does.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeez.. Crazy...

Course, I donno, if you've got such an awesome rig, not worrying about flopping, breaking parts, or anything...what fun is that?!?!!

Wouldn't it just get boring? I mean... the only way you'd get a jolly would be trying to climb up a vertical wall or something.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Jeez.. Crazy...

Course, I donno, if you've got such an awesome rig, not worrying about flopping, breaking parts, or anything...what fun is that?!?!!

Wouldn't it just get boring? I mean... the only way you'd get a jolly would be trying to climb up a vertical wall or something.
No doubt it'd be fun to have an expensive buggy and smash through all the trails, wrecking havoc, and going crazy driving over everything not caring about what the trail was like before you went through it, but what happened to 4wheeling/rock crawling ( whatever you wanna call it ) being about trying to find the sickest line possible, and challenging yourself to make it over insane terrain? Oh and doing all this without trying to break something or get body damage? Weird.

Nothing can replace goood old fashion wheeling.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
A few years ago Walker Evans built a completely IFS rig for competition. He used it for a couple events and got his ass handed to him. He immediately went back to the S10 buggy for the rest of the year.

I am not saying that this rig will not do well in this one race. After all, Shannon is the reigning champ and passed the entire field last year after starting at the back of the field. I will put my money on a solid axle buggy in this race though. This race was won in the rocks last year and will every year. Its where most of the passing takes place, where most of the breaking takes place, and where JR lost the race last year.

I'm just glad I get to see it in person this year.

I'm putting my $$$ on Tracy Jordan this year in the new Spidertrax Bug. That and I think John Reynolds is still the man to beat.
Yea I hope your right. Shannan Campbel is becoming the Jeff Gordan of rock racing.