Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering stabalizer swap from Ford to Toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering stabalizer swap from Ford to Toy

A guy I work with has a mid 90's Explorer with Rancho shocks. He upgraded the shocks to something else and will sell me his Rancho steering stabalizer shock for $10. Should it swap over to my toy without fabbing it? Ben
Old 04-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

Since no one else bothered to answer your question, I'll give it a shot.

The Rancho steering stabilizer requires a bracket to mount it on the 4runner. I'm sure it will be the same for the Exploder. My guess would be that one from the Exploder isn't going to fit. I'd be almost willing to put money on it.

You probably won't care about what I think but here it is anyways. You can get the Procomp steering stabilizer and boot from Summit for $45 shipped (got mine for $30 because of their $15 gift cert ). I just got mine and this thing is a monster compared to the stock stabilizer. I can barely pull the ram out of it. IMO since it's half the price of the OME and does the same job (though I can't compare the two side by side), it's worth it. Hopefully it will go on tomorrow or next weekend.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
Since no one else bothered to answer your question, I'll give it a shot.

The Rancho steering stabilizer requires a bracket to mount it on the 4runner. I'm sure it will be the same for the Exploder. My guess would be that one from the Exploder isn't going to fit. I'd be almost willing to put money on it.

You probably won't care about what I think but here it is anyways. You can get the Procomp steering stabilizer and boot from Summit for $45 shipped (got mine for $30 because of their $15 gift cert ). I just got mine and this thing is a monster compared to the stock stabilizer. I can barely pull the ram out of it. IMO since it's half the price of the OME and does the same job (though I can't compare the two side by side), it's worth it. Hopefully it will go on tomorrow or next weekend.

AgRunner, Thank you very much for the reply. Why wouldn't I care about what you think? I do. I know we have had our up's & down's in conflict's in our opinion's but trust me I have nothing against you. I think your an alright guy. There are many topic's you speak about here on the board and I agree with many of them but I don't alway's respond as much as I guess I should. I like your idea on just buying a ProComp s.s. for the $45. I to have the coupon but mines only $10 off. But hey $35 ain't bad. BTW how did you know that your s.s. was going bad or bad? I am not sure if by replacing it I will be able to expect a stiffer steering sensation or not. I am kinda doing it as preventative maint.. Thanks again for your reply. Ben
Old 04-26-2004, 08:16 AM

The Pro Comp is very good. And very beefy. Your steering won't be more stiff afterward, it will be smoother. While driving with the stock stabilizer I could feel potholes with my hands, which I didn't like, now I can't feel potholes. Another change I noticed offroad; With the stock stabilizer, I would have to hold the wheel pretty firmly so rocks didn't turn the wheels, but with the Pro Comp I can loosly hold the wheel with my pinky and it doesn't turn. It makes it feel like the steering wheel isn't connected to the front wheels. But in a good way.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
AgRunner, Thank you very much for the reply. Why wouldn't I care about what you think? I do. I know we have had our up's & down's in conflict's in our opinion's but trust me I have nothing against you. I think your an alright guy. There are many topic's you speak about here on the board and I agree with many of them but I don't alway's respond as much as I guess I should. I like your idea on just buying a ProComp s.s. for the $45. I to have the coupon but mines only $10 off. But hey $35 ain't bad. BTW how did you know that your s.s. was going bad or bad? I am not sure if by replacing it I will be able to expect a stiffer steering sensation or not. I am kinda doing it as preventative maint.. Thanks again for your reply. Ben
Thanks for the nice reply.

Anyways, I've got a pretty good idea that mine isn't doing it's job anymore. I'm getting a lot of feedback from the road through the steering wheel. Since you have such big tires, it will really help out. I'm expecting my steering to get a little stiffer, but according to tenfourtyeight that's not going to happen. Hopefully I can get it on today since it won't take very long to do. I just have to go and put down $160 deposit for a whole suspension kit when all I need is the pickly fork . Oh well.

I'll post how it feels after I've got it on there.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Talking It's Installed...

I took the time to install it this afternoon. It took me about 35 minutes to put it on there. The install was straight forward and went pretty easily. My breaker bar made things so much easier. I highly recommend using one. Especially for the nut on the drivers side. The angle there is less than 90 degrees but thankfully my breaker bar will swivel that far. I used a regular hammer without having any problems.

Here's some pics for everyone.

My battle scars...

The final install...

Review:

The steering is a little stiffer but it's nice and not a problem by any means. There is almost no feedback from the road now. The front end feels much more solid. I no longer have to make sure that I'm holding onto the steering wheel when going over bumps. This is a very worthwhile mod.

For the $30 and short period of time I spent on it, this was definitely worth it.

Enjoy!

Old 04-26-2004, 03:14 PM

Ha, I had cuts and scrapes on pretty much the same spots. And many others. It took forever to get my stock one off, so I tried everything I could think of, then tried everything again, and by that time my hands looked like I did the install five different times.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:26 PM

Great info & pics Ag. I will do this after I pay on my credit card. Someone, but I wont mention any names (me) racked up $3,600 on the Visa. So $1900 was for an engine swap but the engine wouldnt just blow up. So since the engines running strong as ever I am going to pay it back down. I may sneak the $35 in for this though. And enough for a better air compressor. My 300 psi portable sucks arse. Ben