Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lock right lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the owners manual it has a pic of a driver on each side (the part I have) with the pins spacers and springs. then it shows the "coupler" and says "(side gear)" underneath it.
in the picture it says ( ) = parts in some modles

so could these drivers be made to fit the existing side gears in my differential, and that write up from 4x4 wire maybe a 4banger differential..?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:34 PM

I didn't notice you had a v6 diff. I guess it is possible that you re-use the side gears, but I wouldn't think so. Too bad they didn't send you better instructions.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 PM

Would it be easy to put this locker in and put in new gears?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:57 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i cant let this thread go by without saying how much i LOVE the lock right in my truck, how awesome it does offroad, how important a mod it is if you really wanna step it up wheeling-wise, and how unimportant the clicking during on-road turns ins
Old 09-18-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lee
i cant let this thread go by without saying how much i LOVE the lock right in my truck, how awesome it does offroad, how important a mod it is if you really wanna step it up wheeling-wise, and how unimportant the clicking during on-road turns ins
I agree 100%, on road manners require mild modification to the way you drive, but nothing major. Once you are used to it you don't even notice it is there. On road manners are fine, snow, rain, etc. Off road you notice it all the time because it will bring you places you never thought you could go.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:24 AM
lee
Contributing Member

the first time you approach an obstacle that you KNOW you cant do and climb it with relative ease and not much throttle, then stop at the top and realize what has happened..... you will never think that $200+ for a locker wasnt worth it!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:17 AM
Banned

hell I actually got up an obstacle in 2wd locked faster then a jeep in 4wd open the other day. He did get up it without problems but I got up it faster hahaha!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:10 AM

I am impressed when people rant and rave about how transparent these things are.

I personally have not driven a bigger piece of annoying crap.

Click, click, click...

Chirp, chirp, chirp...

I know a half dozen people personally who have pulled them out because of how much they hated them. Not buying this transparent thing for a minute.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We put a lock-rite in our 88 this summer, piece of cake. We re-geared at the same time to 4.88 . now its ready to pull!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
We sure did.

As far as street manners I find it is middle-of-the-road. Perhaps I didn't set the backlash correctly, I don't know.

There is alot of click-click but that's not a big deal, the only thing that bugs me is what happens if you vary the throttle too much while you're in a tight turn. Sometimes it will start to buck and you just have to push in the clutch.

Also, it makes an audible "clunk" when the clutch is pushed in, mainly when you're in a turn.

But offroad it's great, as well as road-to-offroad places, like patches of gravel.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I am impressed when people rant and rave about how transparent these things are.

I personally have not driven a bigger piece of annoying crap.

Click, click, click...

Chirp, chirp, chirp...

I know a half dozen people personally who have pulled them out because of how much they hated them. Not buying this transparent thing for a minute.
The clicking is obviously there, I don't intend to say you never hear it, but it is well covered by the hum of swampers or a low radio. My tires hardly ever chirp, perhaps I drive this truck too easy. You get so used to its quirks that your driving style forms around them and you don't even notice it is there IMO. Is there the occasional parking lot bucking? Sure, but that is once in a while, not all the time. I have gotten in the habit of coasting around corners in parking lots with either the clutch in or a little bit of gas and it goes fine. Perhaps I am not so picky or just more tolerant, but I love mine and would put one in a DD any day.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan Buchanan
I didn't notice you had a v6 diff. I guess it is possible that you re-use the side gears, but I wouldn't think so. Too bad they didn't send you better instructions.
I just did a lock-rite install in a v6 third with 4.88 gears. The side gears are indeed reused. The kit came with two bit chunks of hardened steel - one side has the cross grooves for the spider and the other side is cut to accept the side gear. Along with that is a bag with like 8 little springs, 4 pins, and some spacers.

When you're done, you'll have 4 little spider gears with no home, but that's all.

Make sure to torque down the bearings real good on the sides, Zuk has a good writeup about it.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:33 AM

Ive got lockrites front and back, and I never know they are there, and it isnt hard to steer with it, it just opens up. As for the clicking/chirping... Man up and deal with the compromize that comes with the greatest 4x4 mod since mud tires.....or go buy a kia sophia.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4rnr
Man up and deal with the compromize that comes with the greatest 4x4 mod since mud tires.....or go buy a kia sophia.
exactly

anyone who really cant handle some small amounts of noise doesnt care about their wheeling ability.

i drive everywhere, all over the east coast, not to mention 60 miles a day to and from work, and i have NO problem with the small noises and 'compromises'.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Who brought this thread back from the grave....started in 03.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 PM

Along those lines, taken to absurdity...

This is not a manliness thing. It is just flat out wrong to tell someone here, who drives a nice new truck and is not wheeling it hard, that a Lock-Right or similar is a transparent addition worth the trade offs.

I have ARB's. No trade offs at all. Maybe not cheap or manly, but worth every penny.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Click click click.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bob200587
Who brought this thread back from the grave....started in 03.
If I remember right the original poster of this thread went with an ARB . He has also sold the rig and moved on.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:46 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I have ARB's. No trade offs at all. Maybe not cheap or manly, but worth every penny.

OHHHHHHHHHHH... that explains it!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:53 AM

That explains it?

Come on now, this is more than preference.

Lock Rights and similar have trade offs that impact drivability. Claiming they are transparent is a lie, a flat out lie. This is coming from someone who is not recapitulating internet lore, it is from someone who has driven many different rigs with them installed.

Quick Reply: lock right lockers?