Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a 97 elocked rear in a first gen runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a 97 elocked rear in a first gen runner

Picked up a elocked 4.56 geared rear from a 3rd gen runner over the weekend for $130. Im looking to install the whole rear under my 85. I know ill have to weld perches and so on but has anyone else done this i need some measurements for the perches and some pics of what the extra width looks like. Also i want to wire up to a factory switch. I have the locker ecu. Im assuming i will have to get a signal from the speed sensors to allow it to lock up. Just trying to see if anyone has done this on a 1st gen runner or 2nd gen truck.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Gonna be cool!! You gonna run wheel spacers in front to match rear?

i haven’t done the elocker, so my input is more curiosity than helpful info. Do you need Locker ECU? Or can you just run 12v power through factory switch? Seems the factory setup requires input from Tcase that vehicle is in low range. But I don’t know if that is just newer models.

Cool find!!

When I changed pinion angle by replacing spring perches a magnetic angle finder on pinion flange and perches to tack perches down. Had read/seen someplace that after market perches can collapse and solution was to box ends off like factory design. But just like factory make drainage holes in box plates.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Gonna be cool!! You gonna run wheel spacers in front to match rear?

i haven’t done the elocker, so my input is more curiosity than helpful info. Do you need Locker ECU? Or can you just run 12v power through factory switch? Seems the factory setup requires input from Tcase that vehicle is in low range. But I don’t know if that is just newer models.

Cool find!!

When I changed pinion angle by replacing spring perches a magnetic angle finder on pinion flange and perches to tack perches down. Had read/seen someplace that after market perches can collapse and solution was to box ends off like factory design. But just like factory make drainage holes in box plates.
I figure my solid axle is 55.5 in wide so ill do IFS hubs so that will bring me to 58.5 inches wide so ill run 1in spacers to get me to 60.5in wide. The rear is 60.75 so ill just deal with the front being .25 more narrow. Should not be a problem. The input for 4x4 can come from the t case however im running twin sticks so i may just have to send a constant signal so i can run a locked 2 low. The measurements im looking for is how far the perches should be from the backing plate so i can make sure the axle is centered. I hear the Taco perches are the same distance apart however i dont have a taco to measure nor do i know if thats 100% correct. My biggest concern is the input from the VSS. I have the sensors in the axle still. Im thinking i will have to wire them to the ECU so it can sense vehicle speed. The next problem however could be that the locker ECU gets the signal from the PCM. I hope it is the same signal that comes from the sensors. Im just spitballing here i have only looked at the diagram twice on my phone briefly.