Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time builder here needs some help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First time builder here needs some help.

Ok so my cousin and I are trying build our first truck and we are just building it to do some muddin and trailing. So my cousin and I got what i believe is a 79 im not sure he bought it and has the title. We are trying to do this as cheaply as possible because we are both pretty broke but anyways it has a 20R and it has a lot of vaccum lines everywhere for the carb.. and it runs like crap... We ripped all the vaccum lines out of it and are trying to find a carb that doesnt need all that... I know we gotta have the vaccum advance but other than that we dont really need a whole lot of other vaccum crap do we? I mean we dont care about mileage or anything we just wanna take it down to the river and have some fun on the weekends. We had two yota's to begin with the 79 and an 84 with the diesel in it. we were originally gonna swap the motors because the 84 is 2 wheel drive and we thought that it would be cool to have a diesel 4x4 to take muddin but then someone offered us a good amount of money for the 84 if we put the diesel back in it and so we did but the guy ended up backing out then going to jail and now its my daily driver... But anyway i kinda got way off subject there lol so what i need to know is what carb we can use that will fit and run decent without all the vaccum crap. So if someone could give me some ideas on whats cheap that we can do to get this up and runnin so we can have some fun...... Thanks to all who actually read me rambling on and on lol sorry about that
Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 PM

Does noone know or what???
Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM

a lot of people put weber carbs on those engines. A simple search would've told you that though

As far as having no vacuum lines, that's impossible. You're going to have a few vac lines no matter what you do. Put all those lines back on or else its not going to run properly. Usually there's a vac diagram in the engine bay somewhere. Or just get the FSM and put em all back where they're supposed to go.

If something don't work, tearing it out isn't the best option most of the time. Do it once, do it right. You can jury rig the entire thing, it might break, it might not. But having a reliable truck that you don't have to worry about is better than breaking down 5 miles into the woods with no one to help you.

-Nic
Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by FatBoy87
Ok so my cousin and I are trying build our first truck and we are just building it to do some muddin and trailing. So my cousin and I got what i believe is a 79 im not sure he bought it and has the title. We are trying to do this as cheaply as possible because we are both pretty broke but anyways it has a 20R and it has a lot of vaccum lines everywhere for the carb.. and it runs like crap... We ripped all the vaccum lines out of it and are trying to find a carb that doesnt need all that... I know we gotta have the vaccum advance but other than that we dont really need a whole lot of other vaccum crap do we? I mean we dont care about mileage or anything we just wanna take it down to the river and have some fun on the weekends. We had two yota's to begin with the 79 and an 84 with the diesel in it. we were originally gonna swap the motors because the 84 is 2 wheel drive and we thought that it would be cool to have a diesel 4x4 to take muddin but then someone offered us a good amount of money for the 84 if we put the diesel back in it and so we did but the guy ended up backing out then going to jail and now its my daily driver... But anyway i kinda got way off subject there lol so what i need to know is what carb we can use that will fit and run decent without all the vaccum crap. So if someone could give me some ideas on whats cheap that we can do to get this up and runnin so we can have some fun...... Thanks to all who actually read me rambling on and on lol sorry about that

You at least sketched out where you pulled them off from, right??
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by kramykram
You at least sketched out where you pulled them off from, right??

x2, always take pictures before you start yanking crap off...

try some paragraphs and periods too

your carb question has been asked a ton of times here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/
post up some pictures of your '79 here, we are all a bunch of suckers for 1st Gens:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...-crowd-112052/

but anyway, just in case you need it here are some pictures of the vacuum line diagrams from the Toyota Factory Service Manual for my '81, not sure how close it will be for the '79 (there should be a sticker showing the vacuum layout under your hood too)

Old 07-31-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
a lot of people put weber carbs on those engines. A simple search would've told you that though

As far as having no vacuum lines, that's impossible. You're going to have a few vac lines no matter what you do. Put all those lines back on or else its not going to run properly. Usually there's a vac diagram in the engine bay somewhere. Or just get the FSM and put em all back where they're supposed to go.

If something don't work, tearing it out isn't the best option most of the time. Do it once, do it right. You can jury rig the entire thing, it might break, it might not. But having a reliable truck that you don't have to worry about is better than breaking down 5 miles into the woods with no one to help you.

-Nic
Ok so I am new to forums and honestly this is the first one i have joined so thanks I see how you welcome to your new people here. I know that NO vaccum lines is impossible but what Im looking for is fewer vaccum lines. Plus we tried to replace the lines and get it to run right but somethin is wrong and it dont wanna run. We checked all lines and made sure they were all right. We do have the FSM and we compared everything and all lines were in correct places and new. We are confused about it all. Also I used to have an old car and I replaced ALL the vaccum lines on it and when I did it I replaced all the T's and Y's and everything to do with the vaccum lines and as I pulled one off I put the new ones on and still it ran like crap due to vaccum leaks I have bad luck with vaccum lol Yes your right having a reliable truck is better than breaking down but the only real trailing we do is in my woods at my house on 11 acres in which i just go get the tractor and pull it out of the woods. as far as muddin goes we have a convoy that goes and I can get help. Yes I want my truck to be reliable, but on the same hand wrenching on it is just as fun as running it to me.

Last edited by FatBoy87; 07-31-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
id go with a weber 32/36 i love mine
Old 07-31-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
x2, always take pictures before you start yanking crap off...

try some paragraphs and periods too

your carb question has been asked a ton of times here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/
post up some pictures of your '79 here, we are all a bunch of suckers for 1st Gens:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...-crowd-112052/
Ok yes I got the manual so I didnt necessarily need the pictures. Yea if I needed them I would have taken them. Sorry about the paragraphs and punctuation too.... Yes I am a hillbilly but Im also a proud one!! I am also sorry about the carb question. Like I said Im new to forums and this is a learning experience!!! This is all kinda a learning experience for me. I have built motors and stuff but havent ever had problems with this crap till here lately. But we will git er dunn and I will post some pics in there as time progresses and we get the truck fixed up I will do a time lapse for ya.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by algranger
id go with a weber 32/36 i love mine
Thanks.... Sorry for all the questions but well whats one run price wise? I am tryin to do this on a limited budget

Last edited by FatBoy87; 07-31-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i want some pics of that 79 that must be sahweeet..
im gonna be working on my first carbed yota soon and frankly i hope i dont give up and go propane right away!!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
i want some pics of that 79 that must be sahweeet..
im gonna be working on my first carbed yota soon and frankly i hope i dont give up and go propane right away!!
It looks ruff right now man... No bed, No bumpers, tranny sittin on the rear frame with tarps on it... Lol man its crap right now. but when I get it done its gonna be pretty decent. May take me a while but I have some idea's I also got an 84 Im workin on as well. Its a diesel and it was beige but now everything is primer except the passenger door lol and its got custom 5 inch stack out the bed.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Hey guys. I changed my Avatar to the picture of my 84 2 wheel drive. It has some changes made since then. Its got AR rims and its all primer now.