Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Locker

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit Locker

I drive a 1990 toyota pickup 4x4 and I am planning on getting a detroit locker in the rear. It is my dd but I try to offroad as much as I can, does anyone have these lockers in their dd, how do they handle on road/turns etc. thanks
Old 10-23-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I drove a loc-rite in the rear for years in a DD. Loc-rite is suppose to be rough autolocker for a DD. It had quirks that I found to be predictable and very learnable then I had no issues. Snow in 2wd was slow as rear wanted fish tale with gas, solution was put it in 4wd. I plan to go back to an autolocker rear one day. Prolly a Grizzly but open to a Detroit too.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had Lockrite and a Spartan in rear . the spartan is really loud sometimes . the Lockrite seems smoother to me . both were fine on the road ,no more noticeable tire wear I live in socal though so I would be more concerned if I had to drive in snow or ice . . there is a learning curve to driving with them so go easy around corners untill you get the feel, it will buck ,and squeel tires once in awhile . less power applied in corners the better . I have a hi pinion front coming now with a grizzly in it . from what I understand Detroit or Grizzly are the same even down to interchangeable parts , but have not confirmed this .
The following users liked this post:
Wracks82 (05-02-2019)
Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, I live in hawaii so don't really need to worry about snow, but there is rain. I think it would be worth driving it on road for when I go offroad, open diff is annoying sometimes (all the time) . I think I can get a free toyota e-locker diff off a 4runner from my uncle, but i'm not too sure if its worth the drilling/welding/wiring and "modifications" it takes to install it in my rear end that are not exactly reversible if something goes wrong or fails. But it would be pretty damn sick to be able to manually control the rear locker and would save a lot of money. any thoughts?

I also might even be able to get the whole axle rather than just the diff and swap it if that's possible

Last edited by Yoti808; 10-24-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put lockers in front too ... I have 3 runners rite now . my 90 is locked front and back . what I did was put manual hubs on the front so its fine for pavement with hubs unlocked ,but sometimes hard to steer offroad . an elocker up front with an autolocker like detroit in back ,and it is like a goat . then I swapped the trans to an older one with a geared transfercase with 4.7 crawl gears and a twinstick shifter now it goes almost everywhere in 2wd low ,so with no power going into the axle it lets the locker unlock while turning. then shift it into 4wd low when needed . rain isnt too bad there is enough grip to unlock , its take a little getting used too . im able to fishtale now on pavement with a 22re haha its funny ,but thats what I mean the more power applied the harder it fights unlocking .it makes a clicking ratcheting sound going around corners . not too loud , once in awhile it makes a loud bang mostley offroad .people think something broke that hear it , but its just the locker .

Last edited by mikesnyhere; 10-24-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Get the E-locker for the rear. It’s a great move and if you don’t like it’s quirks on road leave it disengaged. Lockers off road are amazing.

If you end up not liking it, for some strange reason, you should have no problem selling or trading it for a stock rear end. I’m doing ARB’s front and rear. Had just a rear Detroit soft locker in my last 85. Had to be stupid or in some thick slick stuff to get stuck with decent tires and the right tire pressure.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I've been driving with a Detroit in the rear for years. It takes a bit of getting used to because it reacts differently than an open diff. Power to the inside tire in a turn instead of the outside.
When I first installed it and got on the road I nearly messed my drawers when I went from on the throttle to on compression in the middle of a swooping turn. Felt like the rear shifted a couple feet over on me.
Now I barely even notice, it's just how my truck handles.
E locker would be a "better" choice, but I'd personally put the e locker up front and the Detroit out back.
That's me though.