Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom snorkel Help, then build :D

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motocrossaddict223
gmack, whered you get that airbox? and could i see the way your tubes are run in the engine bay?
I got the "airbox" at Lowe's, it is a water tight electrical box..I traced the bottom of the Weber filter plate on the bottom and cut it out..

I will try to get some pictures of the connecting tube this evening...
Old 06-30-2012, 05:11 AM

Thanks! do you just use a regular rectangle filter in there?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM

I used the Weber filter, mounted the box on the carb. then the filter..The base plate bolts to the carb..

Here is a picture of the snorkel connected to the airbox..If you notice the box is higher than the snorkel..This helps keep water out...Bugs, not so much..Behind the main snorkel cover, I put a piece of rain gutter screen for that..

All of the pipe, clamps & hardware came from Lowe's...I got some strange looks and questions when I walked in with the snorkel head and started laying everything out on the floor.

I have had to change a few things here and there, but the pictures here are the most recent..I will be glad to answer any questions I can..
Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Ohh wow yours is carb'd that makes your method make a lot more sense to me. I think i could adapt that to work with the 3vze though hmmm.... Well for now the snorkel has been put on hold for about a week or two behind schedule, i ran into a little exhaust legality issues here in fl so gotta fix that to avoid a ticket! Snorkel is next on my list so it wont be long.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by motocrossaddict223
Ohh wow yours is carb'd that makes your method make a lot more sense to me. I think i could adapt that to work with the 3vze though hmmm.... Well for now the snorkel has been put on hold for about a week or two behind schedule, i ran into a little exhaust legality issues here in fl so gotta fix that to avoid a ticket! Snorkel is next on my list so it wont be long.
I built one for a Geo Tracker that I used to play with at "Sea World" and raced tuff truck at the citrus bowl. I hooked the septic tube straight to the inlet. I moved the factory airbox inside, mounted to the top.

Is Florida cracking down on exhaust systems now?? I used to live in Apopka...I don't miss FLA.......
Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 AM

They're not cracking down on emissions, juist not having a cat. Basically what happened is since my truck was loud before someone reported my truck to the local pd. I know someone on that works at the pd and basically he warned me to put the cat back on. So i did but my cat is currently half cored so i sound like a tractor , but thats better than a ticket, especially at 17 cuz my insurance is already high!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Understand.......and feel your pain about the insurance...It cost me more to have my son on my 83 than it did for full coverage on my 2 other trucks...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM

Yea if i had full coverage itd cost me almost 3k a year :0...good thing thats the one thing my parents pick up for me..until next year :'(
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO if you want a good snorkel that you are going to be happy with and that will function properly, save your money for an ARB...I completely understand that you are on a budget, I was too when I first got my truck. But do you really want to try to build something that probably won't come out right and possibly ruin your front fender or your engine? Most of the snorkel builds I have seen don't come out looking very good. My idea of a good looking snorkel is one that looks like it could have come stock from the factory and most custom made snorkels I have seen simply miss the mark. For example, this is the one of the only custom snorkels that I would put on my truck: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...kel-build.html

I am not trying to offend anyone who has built their own snorkel, but this is just my opinion.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM

No i completely understand where you're coming from. I just feel like if i take my time and do it right and yeah spend some cash on it, itll look great. Id rather spend the money thatd go into an arb snorkel on my susp. However if i somehoe come into some money, you bet your ass ill get an ARB snorkel.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM

I just like building things....Yodariggin....lol
Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM

haha i think everyone on this forum is like that! Thats why we have dirtbikes, jetskis, and a ski boat! Good thing my parents have their priorities straight and dont go on vaycay but instead buy toys..im gunna miss not having them to wrench on but at least i get to take the red one with me

Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM

wow

This has gotten so off topic.....
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 PM

hey there i need to make a snorkel but also wanted and cold air intake what do you suggest?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 AM

ok, if you have the 3vze, cold air is useless. If you look at my build thread, i show an alternative to cold air that i felt made the most power. That being said, a snorkel is like your "cold air". It pulls air thats not in the engine bay thus being "cold air". Now a snorkel goes through the factory airbox or some type of airbox. The snorkel goes into one side, goes in the filter housing then into the motor. So to answer you, no you cant use a cold air intake with a snorkel.