Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 97T4RNR
I think he, as many of us do here, like to go on what so many here have claimed to be the best in their opinion. So, as for he being the blame, only so in taking the forums over whelming preference to the BFG AT's.

Personally, I like my Pro Comp AT's. You can keep the BFG AT's

As for what most of us find on this forum, it is what we personally have expereinced, tried and found to work. Not everyone is going to agree.
Most people may prefer filet mignon over ground steak, but there will be those who prefer the ground steak.

Good, then you and "Nitto-man" have learned a valuable lesson.....don't listen to other people over what you already know, stick to what works for YOU and NOT me or anyone else.....DUH!!!
Old 12-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by fastkevman
Good, then you and "Nitto-man" have learned a valuable lesson.....don't listen to other people over what you already know, stick to what works for YOU and NOT me or anyone else.....DUH!!!
The only lesson learned from you is that you are a smart ***. Constructive critism must not be in your vocabulary.
If you had actually read what I posted, you would have thought out a much more educated response.

Last edited by 97T4RNR; 12-08-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by nick_8787
Do you mean 3 psi? I run around 30 psi normally.
suppost to be 50psi ...i dont have beedlocks... this is for driving around town...havent went wheeling in the snow yet ..kinda new
Old 12-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Albert.G
suppost to be 50psi ...i dont have beedlocks... this is for driving around town...havent went wheeling in the snow yet ..kinda new
What suppose to be at 50psi ??

Fred
Old 12-08-2007, 04:13 PM

bfg a/ts
Old 12-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1
I am just curious why every person I talk to says the BFG A/T is the best tire they ever had and this and that. I have had them for a few months now and they suck in the snow and mud they are almost as bad as the stock bridgstone hts that where on here. I had Nitto terra Grapplers on here and they were awesome in every kind of terrain. Does anybody feel this way about those tires or are the Nitto's that much better? So as of right now I think I have a set rims and tires for sale as in my avatar. Make me an offer you have to pick them up.

Helo Maxx 6 rims 16x8 265/75/16Bfg a/t's
I can satisfy your curiosity as to why everyone raves the BFG. As with all things, tire opinions are like buttholes. Everyones got one. Sorry you had a bad exerience.

I love mine.

Personally, i think the vehicle has a lot to do with it. I have a first gen, with 100 hp. In snow and ice, i have to WORK to make the truck slide. I litterly have to drop it into 2wd, and gun it for all its worth to make it spin out. I never hydroplane, and I have zero trouble on the ice. I'm running a 9.50.

I did notice hydroplaning on the BFG with a 12.50. Also have noticed significant hydroplane on the MT/R, but it wasn't my truck.

My advice to you is: Go back the the NITTO's in a hurry. No reason to stick with a tire you don't like. Rest assured, you aren't the only one who hates them. Fred TJ, and X-AWDriver hate them too.

Hope you find a tire you like better, but the good news is, that size is pretty popular, so you should have no trouble selling them, and getting a set of NITTOs.

Dude. No. Not ever, EVER EVER should the BFG AT be run at that pressure. I never go above 33 psi. 40 would be the upper limit. You'll wear out the center of the tread like nobody's business.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 PM

really..its what it says on the tire...been running mine 50 with nothing wearin out...
Old 12-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That is not what you should be using. You must have a bone jarring ride.

See this link: http://www.betiresmart.ca/inflation/...n&loc2=placard

From that page:
The pressure listed on the tire sidewall is the maximum tire pressure - or the tire pressure that is required to carry the maximum load of the tire. It is not the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure, which is a common misperception.

Last edited by toy_tek; 12-08-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 PM

I have some bfg a/t, i don't really care for them. They seem to have basically no grip on road in the rain. However, I live in arizona so I don't have to worry about that too much. but, when it dose rain all the oil on the streets cant help the grip.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 111db

From that page:
The pressure listed on the tire sidewall is the maximum tire pressure - or the tire pressure that is required to carry the maximum load of the tire. It is not the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure, which is a common misperception.

I can't tell you how many people get really defensive and almost angry when I tell them the pressure was way to high at work. They always point at the max pressure and say but thats what the tire says! I don't understand why people don't get it, it's not the speed limit after all. Only once we show them the recommended pressure on the door placard do they believe us. It does get kind of hard to explain on trucks with larger than stock tires though.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:57 PM

lol it rides like a caddy ...but im also use to riding an inch off the ground with h&r ultra lows
Old 12-08-2007, 05:54 PM

i got 31" BFG mt's. personally i think theyre an amazing tire. havent had trouble in any terrain with em yet
Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 PM

bfg a/ts
And where did you come up with that pressure (what size are the tires also)?

Fred
Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 111db

From that page:
And that dont work unless your tire is the same exact size that little itty bitty sticker in the door jamb. If I were to do that with my T100 I would be running 30psi in 31x10.5 tires up front-catch is door jamb says 225's! The manufactures recommended I run 29 psi up front with 225 tires..hmm logic tells me I aint running 225 tires so that pressure is out the window.

Chalk test is what ya do, draw a line across thread and drive checking it and air down or up till line wears evenly.

I truly detest those of you who seem to think b/c the door jamb or manual or manufactures specs say to run x pressure you do.. How do you know its for the tire your using, how do you know its the correct pressure unless you do the chalk test. The pressure listed by the manufacture is the pressure for the stock size tires that come on the truck..
Old 12-08-2007, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJM

I truly detest those of you who seem to think b/c the door jamb or manual or manufactures specs say to run x pressure you do.. How do you know its for the tire your using, how do you know its the correct pressure unless you do the chalk test. The pressure listed by the manufacture is the pressure for the stock size tires that come on the truck..
I understand that, I was talking about stock tire sizes only. Thats why I said its hard to explain to the lift/big tire guys that they don't need the pressure at the max, because we can't show them the door placard and say "see this is what its supposed to be" since it no longer applies. Good point on the chalk test though.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:20 PM

I had a set of bfgats but didnt like them so i traded them for the bfg mts and like them right now i have a set of mtzs which work great on and really awsome offroad they even work awesome in the snow
Old 12-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Whats the chalk test?
Old 12-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by nick_8787
Whats the chalk test?
Draw a chalk line across the tire and drive a few yards or so.
Look at the chalk line.
If it's worn evenly you're good to go.
If it's worn only in the center you have too much pressure.
If it's worn only on the outside edges you have too little pressure.

Fred
Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Simple, thanks.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:07 PM

I have bfg at 31s and they are good tires in some conditions bu not in mud and soft dirt. I don't like them for the lack of lug but like them for the road. If I aired them down on the trail I bet they would work great, but I don't have on board air so thats the downside for me.

Quick Reply: BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet