Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB Compressor Alternative Idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Compressor Alternative Idea

I am going to be getting an ARB air locker towards the end of the summer. I wanted to get a compressor that I can use for the locker and also for an occasional air-up.

My idea was to use a Superflow MV50 (150 max psi, 2.54 CFM)

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi.../mv50/mv50.htm

and also use a VIAIR pressure regulator (85 PSI on, 105 off) for this setup

http://www.viaircorp.com/90110.html

Anyone using this compressor for an ARB locker? Critiques/ Comments?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

The MV50 is a great compressor, but they arent available from Kragen anymore. There is now a new compressor, available at Pep Boys, called the SF1050 or something to that effect. They are both great compressors. I run both on my air system, but the SF1050's head started leaking. It still compresses air but tops out around 80 psi. I had to put a 1 way check valve on there or my whole air system would leak out. I have returned it three times for new compressors and they all started doing this after it ran at a high pressure (100 psi) for a short time.

I've always wanted one of those pressure switches. How much do they run?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

I found the MV50 on amazon for 63$

The pressure regulator runs $22 or so plus shipping, so still cheaper than a compact ARB compressor
Old 06-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't try to skimp on a compressor for your ARB and etc or you will end up lockerless when you need it most.

There is a FAQ thread I started about OBA systems.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Don't try to skimp on a compressor for your ARB and etc or you will end up lockerless when you need it most.

There is a FAQ thread I started about OBA systems.

x2...I plan on using an ARB compressor AND a CO2 tank for backup
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 AM

I got my arb mini for around 80 bucks shipped off of ebay, and thats new. And i am running an mv50 i got off of ebay for 20 bucks new to fill my tires.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

If I could find some deals like those I would definitely run an ARB mini and an MV50 ... I'm looking into the cost of just using the high output ARB for locker and air ups
Old 06-11-2008, 10:12 AM

I run two MV50s in tandem. The internal relays are a failure point, but as they are switched from the cab and use external relays (in my install) they are easily removed.

The compressors themselves seem to be fairly well made and are holding together. Having two speeds airup, and provides redundancy. Aside from the internal relay failures there have been no others, and no leaks. Check valves are a good idea anyway. I use my front bumper as an air tank. I use the ARB pressure switch but you could use anything. Just not over 90-100psi!!!

I mounted mine in the engine bay, relocating stuff as needed. I used Toyota rubber mounts for some such or other radiator on a truck- sorry I don't remember the year, nor the part number. You could use other stuff.

Not impressed with the ARB compressors. BTDT.

Last edited by Red_Chili; 06-11-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Red_Chili

Not impressed with the ARB compressors. BTDT.
Curious...did one fail on you? OR you just werent impressed with the performance?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Performance. It is a single purpose unit (the older design, not the smaller obviously single purpose one).

ARB makes stuff of the highest quality and excellent customer service. I have been extremely pleased with the quality of everything I have gotten from them. However, I was willing to take a chance on the MV-50s after using them as portable units. One compressor is leisurely on inflating 35. Two compressors do a respectable job. Not as fast as CO2, but not that much slower, and no tank to carry around.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Performance. It is a single purpose unit (the older design, not the smaller obviously single purpose one).

ARB makes stuff of the highest quality and excellent customer service. I have been extremely pleased with the quality of everything I have gotten from them. However, I was willing to take a chance on the MV-50s after using them as portable units. One compressor is leisurely on inflating 35. Two compressors do a respectable job. Not as fast as CO2, but not that much slower, and no tank to carry around.
Dang quick response! I might have to look into those for a backup compressor..thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 10:38 AM
CJM

I feel an ARB would be a better idea, buy once cry one I always say.

If you want one of the little compressor for your tires go for it, but dont trust it to work your locker.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Sharing good fortune with you fellers...

I got curious about the compressors sold on Amazon, so I had a look. I saw what must have been a typo:
Master Flow MF-1050 Tsunami High Volume Portable Air Compressor for $5.00

This is the same unit as the MV50. Couldn't be accurate. Or it was fly-by-night (though Amazon guarantees this stuff). So I called the guy.

He is in Missouri, apparently he buys lots of various things and sells them in volume at a discount. On this item his shipping is pretty outrageous, $9+. However, that makes the final cost less than $15, delivered. The price is real. He somehow makes money on this. Probably due to the 'shipping'.

Perhaps he purchased lots of stuff from a company that was folding? No idea.

I have two coming. The greedy part of me wanted to buy him out and resell them to wheelers at a modest profit.
I beat that part of me back into the cave.

So don't turn around and do it yourself, share with the community.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by CJM

If you want one of the little compressor for your tires go for it, but dont trust it to work your locker.
They have worked well for me for two or three years. With the relay caveat above. I converted to 1/4" NPT fittings however. They are simple units.

I tend to buy once and cry a lot as I pay it down. This works better.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

I just picked up 2 for $26! I will probably use 2 for OBA and pick up an ARB mini for the locker just to be safe.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by CJM

One reason i wanted the mini arb is just to run air locker, thats all it is there for.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 AM

did anyone ever receive the inflators from this guy?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
A little off topic, but still concerns Air Compressors.

Has anyone tried or considered using a Lexus LS400 suspension compressor in place of an ARB compressor? I got ahold of a complete air suspension system complete with lines and compressor for FREE but wanted to see if it was feesible to do such a thing.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
CJM

Im sure it could work, an air compressor is a compressor and since its a toyota part Im sure its quality. No different than using a caddy air ride compressor for OBA.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:29 AM

I'm sure one would work if you had a storage tank for the air. I'm not sure exactly how the air suspension systems work I'm guessing like the cadillac rear air? it would be intersting to see fi you could get it to work.

Quick Reply: ARB Compressor Alternative Idea