Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All-Pro Upper Control Arms

Old 09-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question All-Pro Upper Control Arms

I was wondering if anyone had installed the All-Pro Off Road Uniball Upper Control Arms. I asked All-Pro if they would fit a 3rd gen 4Runner and they said they should. But I was hoping I could get some feedback from people who actually installed them.

How come they're so cheap compared to TC or Inland Trucks Uniball UCA's? They're almost half price. All-Pro also mention that theirs are slightly longer, but that you can still align the truck to stock specs. I remember the original ATS UCA's were too long to allow the 4Runners to be aligned properly and don't want to have that problem should I decide to go with the All-Pro's.

All comments welcome, within reason of course.

G
Old 09-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

why don't you order 2 sets 1 for you, 1 for me. you can pick up the tab.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:30 PM

Got a link for the control arms I might want a pair too....
Old 09-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago

How come they're so cheap compared to TC or Inland Trucks Uniball UCA's? They're almost half price. All-Pro also mention that theirs are slightly longer, but that you can still align the truck to stock specs. I remember the original ATS UCA's were too long to allow the 4Runners to be aligned properly and don't want to have that problem should I decide to go with the All-Pro's.
The main reason for the price difference is the quality of the materials used, as they say you get what you pay for.....
Old 09-26-2004, 03:39 PM

I dont do anything hard core anyway. I need it more for a street machine, with minor off road capabilites.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Banned

4130 chromoly is good stuff...
Old 09-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
Got a link for the control arms I might want a pair too....
3 items down on this page:

http://www.allprooffroad.com/tacoma.htm
Old 09-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Away

Originally Posted by keisur
why don't you order 2 sets 1 for you, 1 for me. you can pick up the tab.

Um, no.

G

PS Long time no hear from dude! You owe me a few emails! I figure you were just busy with the move and stuff. How'd that all go? Send me an email to tell me all about it...
Old 09-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Away

Originally Posted by BruceTS
The main reason for the price difference is the quality of the materials used, as they say you get what you pay for.....
Bruce, have you seen these things in person? They're made from the same stuff everyone else uses. I just wonder how come they're so much less expensive. It'd seem like a huge liability on their part to make crappy stuff since the UCA isn't exactly a trivial suspension component...

Can you expand on your statement a bit?

G
Old 09-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.chaosfab.com/ucataco.html
Old 09-26-2004, 04:47 PM

I think you've answered your own question. All Pro couldn't tell you for sure if the product would even fit your truck. The manufacturer can't even recommend their product to you for your application.

You should call Camburg and ask them the same question about their product. It is around the same price and I bet they can give you a "yes" or "no" answer, instead of "it should", which doesn't inspire great confidence in my opinion.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Away

I know, I know, I just wanted to hear from anyone who had actually bought these... I was disappointed with and suspect of their answer, which is the reason for this post.

Even though the TC arms look boss, I doubt I'll pay $650 for UCA's, I'll most likely get the the Inland Balljoint model or maybe the Camburg's if I'm feeling rich that day.

Thanks for everyone's input.
G
Old 09-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

I like the color better on the All Pros. If I had the money I'd go with the Total Chaos ones. but I'd end up settling for the ones that fit in my wallet.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

I have the 4th gen 4runner so I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

All I'll say is if you want the quality stuff, go with Total Chaos. I had the ATS/Inland Truck arms prior to getting the TC ones and I"ll say Total Chaos's quality is top notch

Ofcourse all of the arms are similar in design since you can only do soo much. It all boils down to the quality of parts and the quality of the craftmanship. It does look like All Pro designs looks identical to Total Chaos's and suspect that they either copied their design (or something) and just selling it for less but I can't say for sure since I'm just looking at pictures.

Good luck. Either way it's better than stock
Old 09-27-2004, 08:26 AM

I was wondering if anyone had installed the All-Pro Off Road Uniball Upper Control Arms. I asked All-Pro if they would fit a 3rd gen 4Runner and they said they should. But I was hoping I could get some feedback from people who actually installed them.

All comments welcome, within reason of course.

G
Check this link that I found for some comparison info.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/proje...are/index.html
Old 09-27-2004, 03:38 PM

I know, I know, I just wanted to hear from anyone who had actually bought these... I was disappointed with and suspect of their answer, which is the reason for this post.

Even though the TC arms look boss, I doubt I'll pay $650 for UCA's, I'll most likely get the the Inland Balljoint model or maybe the Camburg's if I'm feeling rich that day.

Thanks for everyone's input.
G
The Camburg UCA's are $499. And the have a 1" uni-ball.

Why replace stock arms with a different ball joint arm? If your stock arms are damaged or the ball joints are worn, you should be able to find some good used ones for cheap.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Away

I just can't justify $650 for the TC UCA's. They don't seem like they're THAT much different than everyone else's, even with the uniballs. I don't NEED them anyway. It's more of "want thing" to clearance the larger tires and to be perfectly honest, partly for the coolness factor.

I'll probably just have to save up for the Camburg's. At $500 they seem more reasonable and since they have the uniball, I'll gain what benefits they offer.

Thanks to koda4 for the comparsion link. However, no-one has really answered my original question.

G
Old 09-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

TC is top notch, no doubt about that.

but if you're not gonna get that, go with camburg. they're also quality and more than enough for what you need.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

However, no-one has really answered my original question.

G
G,

I say try out the All-Pros. What do you have to lose? I seriously doubt they will fail and if they suck, send them back or sell them on e-bay or something. Then you will know and you can share actual hands on knowledge with the rest of us.

[RANT=Albuquerque Jim] When I was looking for an economic lift people (who never actually tried them) always told me that running Daystar spacers was a bad idea. I bought them anyways because that's all I could afford at the time. I ran them for 18 months on my stock coils and stock shocks and they worked well. I've done 2 CO4RJ's, been to Moab and done monthly wheelin' trips around here with them. They didn't fail and today they look the same as the day I installed them. I can hang with the guys with $600 coilovers, with my wimpy little $100 poly spacers. I took a chance and I don't regret it.[/RANT]

Since it seems that no one here has actually tried them (your first question) And no offense to anyone for offering advice, but we are all speculating. The only way to know is to check them out for yourself. Hell, contact All-Pro and be the first person to test them on a 4Runner. Maybe they'll give you a discount...wait I should do that.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately you guys do not know All-Pro's business practices. What they do is go around with a prototype to all the tons of machine shop/fabrication places in Southern California and say "How much to make this"? Then when they have a new product or want to drive the competitors out of business they sell the parts very close to cost. All-Pro have very deep pockets and can build hundreds at a time. All reducing the cost.

Think of the Profields. $79.00 for a hardened CV joint. Heck $79.00 is a great price for a stock reproduction.

I have the original ATS arms that were the first ones made that were a hair shorter. They are fine and go up and down. Took them through Aftershock, All over Moab and Arizona. They work fine, they go up and down.

I'm not going to go out and buy any new parts. My old junk works great. I'll see you up on top of Widow Maker or Rock Chucker. Right next to Steve Hunt with all his old crappy Pro Comp lift and leaf springs.

I say buy the All-Pro's they are only trying to drive Total Chaos and others out of business. They have realized that the "old junk" market is flat and are now moving heavily into Tacoma’s.

All-Pro also sells a bumper for 300 bucks and another California fabricator sells some very similar for 750. It is worth 750 with out a doubt. Welcome to the Wal Mart of 4 Wheeling. All-Pro.

It really seems like it's a contest to see who can spend the most amount of money on stuff sometimes. The most expensive is not always the best.

Total Choas makes some great stuff and they get top dollar. Nothing wrong with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All-Pro Upper Control Arms