Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gen Skids

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damnit! Quit giving him more work to do! i need that rear bumper someday!

I wonder if this skid would work on a 01 Taco? I have the crappy two-piece skid as welll.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Darx:

Jason is already working on a 3rd gen/taco skid right now. Talk to him and see if he can add you to the list. I believe he's working on getting a batch done so you might want to inquire about it.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
Darx:

Jason is already working on a 3rd gen/taco skid right now. Talk to him and see if he can add you to the list. I believe he's working on getting a batch done so you might want to inquire about it.
Sweet! Will do.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Banned

having holes will defeat the purpose of protecting the bottom.
Someone else said holes. I would think more along the lines of removeable access panels as part of the skid plate. The access panels and screws attaching them would still be weak points and would probably need to be protected by being countersunk or being surrounded by raised bead welds etc.

Plus, since you're already going to be under there to change the oil, removing a few screws isn't going to take that much longer.
Well, I don't change my own oil. Also, if the entire onepiece skidplate is held on by just a few screws and can be easily lifted with one hand then it doesn't sound like a very tough skidplate.

Would this new skidplate design protect the transmission?

Last edited by dcampen; 05-05-2004 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

The skid will replace the 2 piece stock skid. Take a peek under there to get a better feel for what it protects. Most users are pretty confident with just this skid. Unless you plan to do some rock crawling then you'll run into more problems. (i.e. literally just rocks like Johnson Valley)

Unfortunately the stock skids does not protect the tranny. If you want a belly skid to protect your tranny, that'll require an additional skid.

Btw, most aftermarket skids are held by a few bolts too... Most a pretty easy to remove. My Downey skid is held by 4 bolts and it takes me about 1 min tops(?) to remove to access my filter/drain bolt. This skid is pretty durable as well. It's held up to my abuse!

For the ultimate skid protection, you would want an exoskeleton frame under there and then bolt on the skid to that. This way everytime you destroy your skid, all you need to do is replace it instead of replacing everything. ofcourse this will cost more but at this point you're talking about buggy style! hehe
Old 05-05-2004, 09:39 AM

I'm interested as well. What is the approximate weight of an aftermarket skid?

Thanks!
Herman
Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Banned

even the current stock skids only take about 2 minutes to remove, and only require taking off a few bolts. easy as pie. anything that attaches in an even remotely similar way will be just as easy to remove.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Seriously. If you truly want the skid plates for extra protection, you won't mind the extra effort (if any) for oil changes. If you worried about convenience, perhaps these skid plates are not what you really want.

I thought it would be nice to have the drain hole, but I realized now, that it would compromise the integrity of the skid plates; so now I don't really care for it. I have to remove one of the skids for oil change anyways....
Old 05-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Banned

my thoughts exactly, timber.

now ... about your desire for chrome ...
Old 05-05-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4route
now ... about your desire for chrome ...
Could always wish...
Old 05-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Count me in for replacement skid plate(s). Mine is scratched and I can't remember toucing anything yet
--
Chris
Old 05-06-2004, 07:06 PM

About what price are you looking at for the skid plates???
Old 05-06-2004, 08:00 PM

Lance,

What is the count for people interested?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:55 PM

Sorry guys I have been really busy, I am thinking of making two differnt styles of skid plates. One would be simular to lances skid and the other would be much stronger!

the most comon style of skid plate is the simple flat plate usally 3\16in thick. just like lances. This type of skid plate is fine for mild wheelin and will suit most just fine.

The custom ones I have done for some of my customers are built useing a 1in tube sub frame that bolts to the frame of your truck. Then you bolt a simple sheet metal skid plat to the sub frame. This combo makes the skid plat nearly unstopable!

I have one on my truck and on a recent trip to the hammers, someone in front of me dared me to drive straight into a rock. I did and kept going till I slid off it. most might consider it overkill, but most damage comes when you don't expect it. So you want to make sure it works when you need it!.

Some of the problems with a simple skid plate that bolts to stock locations, is after it's been hit a couple of times, it's hard to bolt it up to your stock locations. It can also get warped and is fairly heavy.

The other style with the sub frame, your sub frame stays on, it would bolt on but it would stay on unless you needed to pull the radiator out. if you wanted to change the oil or front diff fluid you unbolt the skid plat that bolts to the subframe. (does that make sence?)

My question is which style would most be interested in?

A simple skid plate 3\16in with reinforcments would run about 300.00 for the front half and 200.oo for the back half. The subframe style would run about 100.00 more.

I don't have any great pictures (sorry) but in this pic you can see the skid plate with out the skid plat skin on it. Notice the front part is a cup for the radiator to hide behind. the skid plate would bolt right below that on the sub-frame. This is a rough pic I will try to get some better pics soon!
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen Skids-skid-plate.jpg  

Last edited by JDeMello; 05-06-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Banned

Well ... I, for one, would definitely be interested in the subframe/unstoppable plate.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:37 AM

Heavy duty! Most of the roadin' I do in AZ is over very rocky terrain. The way I see it some under side armor would be one of the best 'investments' I could make. Put me down for frame and skin.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Same here
Old 05-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

I would prefer the subframe skid too. In fact I'd love a full belly kit!

General Info: The oil filter could always be relocated if it's a big deal for anyone. I've been thinking about doing that anyway. Just to make it easier to access. (There are a few different filter relocation kits on the market)

Doug M.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:39 PM

Does the subframe bolt onto stock locations?
Weight difference between the two?

I'm probably interested in the subframe/heavy duty one.

Herman
Old 05-07-2004, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 02Runner
I would prefer the subframe skid too. In fact I'd love a full belly kit!

General Info: The oil filter could always be relocated if it's a big deal for anyone. I've been thinking about doing that anyway. Just to make it easier to access. (There are a few different filter relocation kits on the market)

Doug M.
The idea would be for the subframe to bolt to stock locations and the skid would bolt to it. I need to look at Lances truck and get some idea's The only problem is there is only one of me and 20 of you Give me a couple weeks and keep bugging me, the more response I get the more I will be pushed to make it sooner

Quick Reply: 4th gen Skids