99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Axle Damage/ Leaking Gear Oil Into Hub

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle Damage/ Leaking Gear Oil Into Hub

Hello and thanks in advance for any and all knowledge shared.

I have a 2000 tundra that with about 240k on it. I took both axles out to have the wheel bearings replaced. I took them to a toyota dealer as i found out they are the only ones set up to do the job. So i take the axles in and they tell me that the retainers as well as the ABS sensor/gear have to be replaced as well. Thats fine, i assumed that would be the case from my research. I also new that they would probably need to be cut off as well, i thought about doing this part but decided let the professionals do it. I also read that care needs to be taken not to damage the axle.

OK HERE IS MY ?
THE SHOP WHEN CUTTING THE RETAINERS OFF CUT INTO THE AXLE CREATING A VOID UNDER THE RETAINERS. THE WORST IS THE DRIVER SIDE REAR AND I HAVE REPLACED THE INNER SEAL TWICE NOR INCLUDING WHEN THE WHEEL BEARINGS WERE DONE, I ALSO HAVE REPLACED THE VENT ON TOP OF THE DIFFERENTIAL. FROM HOW I UNDERSTAND SEAL TO WORK I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW IT CAN CREATE A SEAL WITH THE VOID UNDER THE RETAINER. WHATS THE THOUGHTS?

Old 09-07-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Hope you can prove that no one but the Toyota dealer touched these Axles. If you can, they should pay for new ones.

Why did you accept them back looking like this???

I'd never have reinstalled them, but I might have thrown one thru the dealership window if they bucked at replacing them.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:51 AM

The toyota shop doesn't deny that they damaged them. I was extremely pissed and wanted to start swinging on people. I confronted them on it right away and the tech reassured me that it wouldn't effect them negatively in any way. So i took them home. The truck had been sitting apart for over a week because i was trying to find someone local to do it, but no body had the right tools to do the job. The last shop i tried told me not to let anyone touch them but a toyota dealer. So thats what i did and this is the workmanship i get. I complained to the shop supervisor and told him i wanted new axles or my money back and he said that he spoke with a toyota rep and was told that it wont effect the performance at all. They said that they will give a 5yr warranty. I was still not satisfied with that because i knew that when something goes wrong they would say it was something else besides the damage they caused. I even called toyota to file a complaint and it got me no where. They said they couldn't make the shop do anything.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Please name the Dealership that damaged your axles and refuses to make it right. Everyone needs to know.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:07 AM

They initially only wanted to give me a 1yr warrenty, but i asked if they are so confident why dont they give a lifetime warranty. So they said we'll give you a 5yr warranty. I had a phone conference with owner and shop supervisor trying to come to some sort of agreement and asked if that type of damage to the axle would pass quality at Toyota and be put in a new vehicle. The owner responed with your vehical is old, not new.

Kolosso Toyota
3000 W Wisconsin Ave
Appleton, WI 54914

Im not a mechanic but dont understand how the seal can seal with that chunk of steel missing.

Old retainer trying to show how far under the retainer the damage goes. This is the passenger side axle. Both were cut into. Driver side was the worst.

Above are some articles i read before i even began working on the truck. It influenced me not to try and cut the retainers off. I thought they might be able to possible press them off and if they couldn't they have the better tools & experience to do it without damaging the axle. WRONG!!
Old 09-08-2018, 11:19 AM

They charged me $600.00 for parts & labor.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:23 AM

The dealerships assertion that somehow because a truck is is old is justification for their outrageously substandard work is just about the limit.

This dealerships name and this story needs to be published nationwide.

As a point of interest, all that is necessary for a collar like this to be loosened so that it might be easily pressed off, is to strike the collar several places around its outer circumference with a large chisel and a BFH.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Forgot to specify that the cost of $600.00 was just for the retainers and the labor of taking old ones off and putting new ones on along with pressing the bearings. I provided the new bearings and outter seals. Im going to write a bunch of newspapers and file a complaint with the better business bureau.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:26 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Since they are a Toyota dealership, maybe also contact Toyota directly, they may be able to influence the dealer to do the right thing here, I think they should replace your axle. If you paid via credit card, you can also dispute the charge, tell the CC company the issue and perhaps they can pressure the dealership to do something.

When I changed the rear axle bearings in my 4Runner, I called the local Toyota dealer and the price to simply press off old and on the new bearings was crazy high, I could not believe the price. Most other local shops did not have the proper tool to do the job. I already had a press, so I purchased the correct tool off eBay and did the job myself.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:57 AM

toyota said they could not make the dealership do anything. Toyota explained to me that the dealership is independently owned. Toyota also said they could only punish them by not sending cars that they wanted and that would sell well in the area of the dealership. I find this hard to believe, it seems that if toyota did that they also would be losing $.
I did use a debit card and tried to stop payment using the method online due to the bank not being open. I was unsuccessful. The dealership continued to ˟˟˟˟ on me telling me that they did not make new axles for my truck and that if they did replace them they would be with used ones.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Marshmann - Ok, if they cannot replace the axles, or are refusing, then you should get your money back, simple as that. For $600 you should easily be able to find another axle, even if used.