99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

05 Tundra Replace Motor - Blown Head Gasket

Old 12-11-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Tundra Replace Motor - Blown Head Gasket

Hello All - Long-time stalker, first-time poster here...

Just inherited a 2005 Tundra Crew 2WD with the 4.7, but need to swap motor. The rub is, it has a blown head gasket and I'm already down a grand shipping it here from Dallas. I am hyped to get this truck, will be the coolest truck I have ever owned - my brother put a lot of cool stuff on it.. Pa-In-Law is a mechanic who owned a shop for 30 years and will be helping me get it going. We are pretty experienced with this kind of stuff, but not so familiar with Tundra's.

We are planning on pulling a motor from the u-pull-it and swapping it out rather than fighting the heads, plus it will be cheaper and quicker (we believe). I was hoping some of you Tundra guys could help me with some pointers on a few things.

What year model vehicles 4.7 motors will interchange with this Tundra? I have heard some of the Sequoias and Lexus 4.7 will fit, but can't confirm. Is there any models that are better or that we should avoid?

While we have the replacement engine out, what all should we replace? We want this truck to be good for another 150K miles when we are done...We are trying to avoid a complete rebuild due to timing and finances, but willing to spend some time and money with a best effort scope.

As of now, we are definitely going to service the AC compressor and do the timing components and water pump. This kit from Aisin looks to be the best for durability:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EEYWKI...I3JM4KLEPH522E

Is there anything else we should swap/rebuild/check while the motor is north of the hood? Any specific problems/issues with this motor/yearmodel?

I have read the starter is a tough job, as it is under the intake, and am considering putting in a new one before dropping it in. What do y'all think? If I do, I want to get the most durable starter and would prefer the 2.0 kW for extra juice. What would y'all recommend?

Only other kicker is he did use the Blue Devil to try and repair head gasket. We researched and chose it as it appeared to be the least risky, it was a Hail Mary and failed. Any possible damage to look for? And best practices for getting this ˟˟˟˟˟ out of the cooling system?

We want to do the job smart and economically? Any links to previous projects, info, or feedback would be greatly appreciated..

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season and thanks in advance for your time and thoughts...

JBird
Attached Thumbnails 05 Tundra Replace Motor - Blown Head Gasket-img-20161210-wa0001.jpg  

Last edited by freebird4xla; 12-11-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:40 PM

Vvt?

Does this truck have VVT? If so, what will I lose if I get a 2004 motor and/or will it work OK?

Thanks

Vin prefix is 5TBET38155S...
Old 12-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Lil help here?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

JG
Old 12-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
I'm not familiar with them either, but I've never heard of anyone replacing an engine because it had a bad head gasket. If you get a used engine and expect 150K miles out of it you are rolling the dice anyway. Back flush the radiator and heater core and go ahead on it, whether it's doing the head gasket or engine. If you get an engine from a different year or model you may end up having to swap intakes/exhaust/sensors, basically tearing it down to a long block and re-using everything from the original. might as well re-seal everything. do a timing belt and water pump, full tune up too.

Search this Thread