RC Vehicles Discussion on remote controlled vehicles of all types

my new toy

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking my new toy

I love my Crawler, but I need something a little faster

Ultimately, I want to get a 1/10 Traxxas Slash Platinum, but those kind of funds are just not available to me right now SO, I just bought a used Traxxas 1/16 Summit VXL (comes with a Castle Sidewinder ESC and 3 batteries, not shown in the photos below)

Should feed my addiction for a little while and let me have a little fun on the parking lot track at the local hobby shops after a morning of crawling.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-08-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Geeez those things have come a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way since I built them...ugh
Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Geeez those things have come a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way since I built them...ugh
yeah they don't look much like any old school RC's with the inboard shocks and center mounted motor and trans and stuff

should be a blast to drive though; 40mph + out of the box!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
aawesome travis...just what body is that though? some kind of exo'ed 2 door grand cherokee?

i really need to get an other RC
Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome! I need videos of this ASAP! I want to get something to run at the track, and bash also.

I've been looking at the SC10, Slash, Blitz and RC10T4 - I just can't decide which one I want.

I won't be getting one for a while, as I still need to focus on my SCX (which is still in the box mind you) for a bit first, but I know after a while I am going to crave speed.

Fink
Old 12-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
aawesome travis...just what body is that though? some kind of exo'ed 2 door grand cherokee?

i really need to get an other RC
I don't think it's really "scaled" after anything at all. Almost looks like a strange cross between a Ford Explorer and a Hummer H3 if you ask me, lol

Originally Posted by Fink
Awesome! I need videos of this ASAP! I want to get something to run at the track, and bash also.

I've been looking at the SC10, Slash, Blitz and RC10T4 - I just can't decide which one I want.

I won't be getting one for a while, as I still need to focus on my SCX (which is still in the box mind you) for a bit first, but I know after a while I am going to crave speed.

Fink
there's some videos of them floating around on YouTube. once it comes in I'll have to see if I can film it in action (just shipped out today). but that's pretty much the only reason I wanted something like this; something to beat on at speed so I stop trying with my SCX10 and twisting up drive shafts, lol
Old 12-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
there's some videos of them floating around on YouTube. once it comes in I'll have to see if I can film it in action (just shipped out today). but that's pretty much the only reason I wanted something like this; something to beat on at speed so I stop trying with my SCX10 and twisting up drive shafts, lol
Makes perfect sense to me.

You going to the GTG tomorrow morning?

Fink
Old 12-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Makes perfect sense to me.

You going to the GTG tomorrow morning?

Fink
no I'm not in town stayed home this weekend

you meeting the crew and taking the rig out tomorrow for the first time?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

no I'm not in town stayed home this weekend

you meeting the crew and taking the rig out tomorrow for the first time?
I was planning on meeting them out there to see what it was all about, and if I had the rig done I would have brought it, but currently I am sitting in our data center in Jacksonville trying to diagnose an issue with a new firewall appliance we just installed. Not necessarily what I wanted to be doing at almost 1:00am...

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 12-10-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

should be here this Wednesday

just put in a good size order on Tower Hobbies that included two 2s lipos and a charger that will charge ANYTHING that I might ever get I figure it's about time I get into lipos. but I also ordered a series connector so I can run the thing on 4s if I ever feel the need for some ridiculous speed and also got some steel drive shafts for this little guy since I read that the stock ones are prone to breaking, like, immediately, lol, and I ordered some new rockers for the inboard shocks to give it a little bit of a lower stance, since I'll be bashing this thing on the pavement more than anything else

I'm stoked; in the words of Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast!"
Old 12-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to be honest this is not the kind of toy I was expecting..
Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

should be here this Wednesday

just put in a good size order on Tower Hobbies that included two 2s lipos and a charger that will charge ANYTHING that I might ever get I figure it's about time I get into lipos. but I also ordered a series connector so I can run the thing on 4s if I ever feel the need for some ridiculous speed and also got some steel drive shafts for this little guy since I read that the stock ones are prone to breaking, like, immediately, lol, and I ordered some new rockers for the inboard shocks to give it a little bit of a lower stance, since I'll be bashing this thing on the pavement more than anything else

I'm stoked; in the words of Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast!"
What batteries and charger did you get?

Fink
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

What batteries and charger did you get?

Fink
Charger:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUAB8

Battery (got 2 of these for now, just for this mini Summit; I'll get some full size 2s 5000mah's later for the crawler)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXMP0

also ordered one of these to complete the setup
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWPW2
Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

OH, and it came in today

can't really do anything with it yet since I can't charge the batteries it came with, lol. the only charger I have charges at 4 amps, and the NiMH batteries that I got with it from the seller can only be charged at 1 amp... so I have to wait until my order from Tower shows up to even drive the darn thing but I do know that everything works good on it at least, because I plugged it into one of the 7 cell NiMH pack I have for the crawler and hooked up an extra receiver I have, blipped the throttle, and the thing about jumped out of my hand if it's this powerful on a half dead 8.4v pack, I can't WAIT to see how crazy this thing is running almost 15 volts

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-12-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

so anxious my batteries and everything should show up tomorrow, so tomorrow afternoon I'll tare the thing apart, shim the diffs (apparently a weak spot on these things from the factory without shims...), and probably break something first thing Saturday on the street in front of the house, lol

hopefully I can keep it in one piece over the weekend because a buddy at work just bought a T-Maxx and he wants to race in the parking lot at work during lunch on Monday after he gets is running this weekend. I think I'll be able to own him on 4s

been browsing YouTube for some video of this thing on 4s lipo, and most of them are with 1/16 Revos (pretty much the same vehicle, just a different body, wheels, and a lower suspension setup, which mine will actually be running the lower suspension setup when the parts come in) but have the same motor and some the same ESC as well, and HOLY CRAP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ihbnXa64Mk

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-15-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

You think you have it bad? I've had my SCX10, batteries, charger, driveshafts, diff parts, transmission parts, etc sitting in boxes for two weeks now.

Work has been too insane to even open them up. It's killing me!

Fink
Old 12-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

looks like I've got some work to do

Old 12-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

just got it all together with the steel drive shafts, lowered stance with the new rocker arms, shimmed the differentials, tossed on a different set of wheels and tires I had laying around, and basically went ahead and went through the ENTIRE driveline and freshened everything up, and it moves SO much smoother now

even went as far as making some simply body clip keepers, since I know I'm going to be beating the crap out of this thing and body clips are bound to fall off

but of coarse before I did that, I had to test out my new lipos first as soon as I blipped the throttle on a 2s pack, I snapped a front drive shaft

so I raced it around in the yard for a little while in 2wd; this little thing is quick!!!

BUT, I don't think I'm going to be able to run 4s on it with the Castle Sidewinder unless I can roll back the firmware on it when my link shows up Monday... so we'll see...

for now I'll just get use to it with 2s
Old 12-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

well, bashed around with it in the front yard today, stripped the spur

rode up to the local hobby shop (well, I say local, but it's like 35 minutes away...) and picked up two different spurs, a different pinion, and some spare center drive shafts. the new spur and pinion is higher geared, and HOLY CRAP this thing is stupid fast on just 2s lipo now. I don't think I need to go much more than 2s until I learn to control it a little better, lol

I'll try to get some video tomorrow out on the street in front of my house with some speed runs and maybe a little running around in the yard, although the yard isn't near big enough to really get up to speed and it's like 1/4 acre, lol
Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

teaser

I'll have to see if I can get a better camera angle later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQfys...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: my new toy