Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

Dangerous rocking at hway speed, 2000 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dangerous rocking at hway speed, 2000 Tacoma

I have a 2000 Tacoma PreRunner 2WD work truck with a V6. It has developed a dangerous condition when traveling at highway speeds (around 70 mph) that I can best describe as a serious 'rocking' condition. I did an internet search and there was a lot on 'wobble' (some posts even mentioned 'death wobble') but the descriptions they gave did not seem to match what I'm trying to describe. Only one post had it pretty much right when they described it as the running boards going up and down (one side up, the other down and vice-versa). It isn't a side to side motion, nor is there any kind of vibration whatsoever. The steering wheel does not move. The truck just starts to rock and will quickly get worse and worse unless I immediately slow down. Once I drop below about 60 mph it will then stop and I can get up to speed again for a bit until it begins to happen again. I am now fearful of driving the truck on the highway at speeds to match the traffic, but this is a problem since it's a work truck and daily highway driving is almost a must. I believe I need to start looking at the front suspension, but don't have any local mechanic that I trust. The various internet posts I looked at pointed to almost every front and rear suspension part as well as the steering. I'm hoping another Tacoma owner has experienced this and can give me a good place to start looking. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Is it stock?
Just to toss two very simple suggestions out there - look into new shocks and bushings on your swaybar. These parts obviously wear out over time. I'm guessing your shocks are simply worn out and tired and can no longer dampen the sway once it gets goin'.