FJ Cruiser (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jason's 07 FJC

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after driving through hours of pouring rain, the leaks seem to be fixed so that's a win.
The fuel mileage situation actually got worse on the way home 😣, I'm going to be digging into that, it's a little perplexing because the truck seems to run great, plenty of power, no misses or hesitation, if it was running rough it might give me a direction to look. There is a reason and I will find it.

On a brighter note, the factory stereo head unit had been replaced by the PO, in sure the unit they installed was a great unit in its day, double din, touch screen, GPS etc etc, but no Bluetooth, aux input, or USB port which are all features I've come to rely on.
So this happened
Jason's 07 FJC-photo133.jpg
Just an inexpensive single din, but with the features I wanted, it also opened up a spot for a CB radio because every good 4x4 has one right.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
There is a reason and I will find it.
I hear you there.

Glad to hear you've got the leak fixed, should be getting enough rain in your neighborhood to know for sure.
Been real happy with the Cobra 18 wxst 'cept I went for a different mic. You're likely WAY more knowledgeable on that stuff though.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
I hear you there.

Glad to hear you've got the leak fixed, should be getting enough rain in your neighborhood to know for sure.
Been real happy with the Cobra 18 wxst 'cept I went for a different mic. You're likely WAY more knowledgeable on that stuff though.
We are getting plenty of it, seems to be following me where ever I go lol.
I think the little Cobra will do fine for what I need, I have a couple Road King RK56 mics laying around I may toss one on there just because. I'm not sure if this truck will end up with a Ham radio or not, but more than likely at some point it will.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Well with a couple days at home and nice spring weather I had plenty of time to get out and do some yard work, BUT WHO DOES YARD WORK WHEN THEY HAVE EVENTS TO GET READY FOR.
With the 4runner getting some much needed love from a buddy of mine I took the opportunity to work on the non project FJ.
In an effort to get the fuel mileage to a respectable number, I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs, like I said before, they didn't look terrible but it couldn't hurt right. I also clean the MAF sensor, it was visually dirty so that I'm sure was some of the issue. It was also do an oil change so I got that knocked out as well. Wasn't able too drive it much afterwards but what little I did it seemed to pull slightly better at speed so maybe I'm moving in the right direction.
I also finished up the stereo and cb install. Ran new coax for the cb antenna, mounted the mic for the Bluetooth etc. also do to Toyotas inability to install a 12 volt accessory plug that stays hot with the key off I added one with a plug and 2 USB ports.
Jason's 07 FJC-photo749.jpgJason's 07 FJC-photo334.jpg
Wiring up this new stuff was super easy because of the auxiliary fuse block under the hood, this is something I have wanted to do for awhile on the 4runner and it's definitely moved up the list.
I also spent a few minutes making sure the second battery was wired and charging properly.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 AM

I also decided to dig into the winch, I have not been able too get it to work and getting to it meant removing the bumper, I was pleasantly surprised how easy that was.
I got the winch working but in the process I broke a stud on one of the solenoids and had to order parts, I decided to swap over to the new style relays and move them from behind the bumper to under the hood, hopefully the parts to do so will be there when I get back home.
Jason's 07 FJC-photo865.jpg
Hope everyone had a great Easter weekend, thanks for checking in.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Yard work or Truck??? I dont blame you on that choice. I dont like doing yard work either.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:38 AM

We the truck made its second road trip and my first wheeling trip with it without a hitch.
I made the nearly 900 mile trek to the FJ Northeaster run at Rausch Creek off-road park in PA over the weekend.
Because of the long drive and it being my first time having the truck off road I took it pretty easy, but did manage to run some fun trails and had a fantastic time.
Because I have become accustomed to having it and to cut down a little on food costs, I wanted to have my fridge with me, so I took a few minutes to put together a simple mount and add a 12 volt plug in the cargo area. For a mount I just used some aluminum angle I had laying around and made a frame for the fridge to sit in.Jason's 07 FJC-photo876.jpg
I just screwed it directly to the floor, not the perfect solution but time was tight.
Jason's 07 FJC-photo362.jpg
For the plug, the po had already had a fridge installed and most of the wiring was still there, he had hard wired his, but because I want to be able too move mine between the FJ and the 4runner I just want to be able too plug it in. Didn't get any pictures of the plug etc again time was tight.
We I bought the truck it didn't have any skid plates and I really didn't want to wheel it with out them, so I started reaching out to friends for a set of stock take offs or something similar, a buddy made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a set of aluminum skids, so I picked them up on the way and after figuring out I probably have the only FJ on the planet that takes m-6 bolts instead of m-8s I finally got them installed in the parking lot at Rausch Creek.
Anyway I didn't get many pictures but will post up what I have asap. Thanks for checking in.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Nice work Jason. All the time I have to do yard work, house work, work on the truck. It's a rough life.

Hope the basic maintenance improves the mileage, it'll be nice to be able to use the fridge in both places.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 PM

Haha Hab. The little work I did had a good impact on the fuel mileage I'm happy to say, I managed to average about 14.5 round trip this time, not great but a huge improvement from before.
The fridge is honestly one of my favorite purchases towards my hobby, and the dual batteries in this truck make it all the nicer, I would survive without it for sure, but I really don't want to lol.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:58 PM

nice work on your FJ Cruiser Jason
Old 05-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I seen on FB where your wife was wheeling it. Looked like she had a lot of fun.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I seen on FB where your wife was wheeling it. Looked like she had a lot of fun.
She has a blast covering the interior with stinky mud. I will try and figure out how to share the video over here.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:02 PM

A couple pics from PA a couple weeks ago
Name:  4E5BB7EC-B71F-418D-9BE1-3313BF080EA0_zpsgsqxujop.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  211.6 KB

Name:  DEF3CB25-B6D3-4606-BC27-D26975098C7D_zpsn96uwxdl.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  311.4 KB
Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks like a great time! I am a little jealous, it would great to have a couple of capable rigs like that.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Looks like a great time! I am a little jealous, it would great to have a couple of capable rigs like that.
It was a blast, long drive but that's what I bought the FJ for, to do those longer trips and wheel a little, it's a really good fit for that.