Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Snowshredder's 1997 4Runner Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right around the time I'm getting my coils and 5100's from WabFab...great timing!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by punkelberg
Right around the time I'm getting my coils and 5100's from WabFab...great timing!
Still kinda confused on what you're doing with the Anthricite. You're taking the suspension from the 96' and transfering it over to the other one?

-Ted
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Yea, the front adjustable coils from the 96 will be swapped over to the Anthracite truck once I get the new ones delivered from WabFab.
Hoping the struts you have will fit. If not, I'll get some 5100's for that one too.
Rear of the Anthracite will be OME 880's and 5125's but not for a month or so.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 PM

looking at the pic you posted above, I don't think those will work on the coil setup I'm running on the 96 currently...

Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 PM

If they're stock coils with the stock top hat, they should. At least based on the research I've done. Worst case, they don't and you could give em' back. If they don't work out, I've spoken with Brandon about putting them on his.

-Ted
Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM

pretty sure stock coils didn't require a spanner wrench... The pic above is what I wanted to mount your struts in...don't think it will work.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM

pretty sure stock coils didn't require a spanner wrench... The pic above is what I wanted to mount your struts in...don't think it will work.
Well, it never hurts to try.

-Ted
Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM

Update...

Well, the shocks came in on Tuesday and I can't wait to get them on. I've been collecting more parts for the front end in anticipation for rebuilding it with all new bushings and wearable component's. I was able to pick up from Autozone the Outside Tierods from the foundary "555". This foundary is suppose to be the same one that Toyota OEM's come from. My guy over at the local Autozone has been a huge help and very patient with tracking this specific item down. So, this just proves to me that not all parts counter people are douches.

So this Saturday is gonna be a big day with the 4Runner and my F-150. Need to change out the D-side header gasket AGAIN on the F-150 cause it's leaking again. I had the header resurfaced last time and dont think it's at fault here. More like I was overzealous with the wrench on the collector tube which didn't allow it to rotate in the ball connector flange like it's suppose to. We'll see, cause I'm getting tired of replacing em' and this time, I'll check to see how flat the face is on the head and carefully file away as needed. Then, I'll start on the 4Runner with the shocks. That's my only goal as I still need the other two UCA bushings and all the LCA bushings. Unfortunately, the LCA's are the more expensive one's so they'll probably take a little more time.

I can't wait till I get to tackle the rear bushing's or come up with something that allows it to flex (rotate) a little more..... Reasearch is underway for this portion already.

-Ted
Old 02-02-2012, 08:15 AM

"I can't wait till I get to tackle the rear bushing's or come up with something that allows it to flex (rotate) a little more..... Reasearch is underway for this portion already."

Like quick release for the SB? Or something different?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 PM

"I can't wait till I get to tackle the rear bushing's or come up with something that allows it to flex (rotate) a little more..... Reasearch is underway for this portion already."

Like quick release for the SB? Or something different?
I'm thinking heim joints at both ends of the control links (correct part name?) or stock bushings at the frame attachment points and heims at the axle. I'll probably do quick disconnect's for the sway bars, but haven't taken the time to look at any recently for a design. Besides, that's still down the road a bit.

-Ted
Old 02-11-2012, 01:08 AM

Decided that since I'm So.Cal. for the weekend and to take my 3 yearold to see Mickey Mouse I wanted to stop by California Mini Truck to see if they had a few things on the short list. Front mudflaps and a new antenna. No to the flaps but had success on the antenna mount with mast. I've been rockin the uber cheapo, poorly installed aftermarket paint eating antenna mount with rubber mast. Lost the rubber mast that came on the 4Runner from the PO, spent $8.00 for its replacement then another $25.00 today for an OEM fixed mount with solid mast. Can't wait to install it and return this portion of the rig to a Toyota original. Spoke with Mike and he dug through several different boxes for the mudflaps...without success...darn.

-Ted
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 AM

update...

This weekend was my opportunity to finally install the new ball joints (upper/lower), inside/ outside tie-rods, front sway bar bushings, new Bilstein 5100's (Tundra 1st gen.) and the 1st gen Tundra TRD Blue/yellow yellow/yellow front springs.

Side by side shot for comparison. Stock TRD Tundra shocks with springs, new Tundra 5100's and old stock 4Runner's.

Installed pic:

New Lower BJ:

You can't see the inner tierod but they've been replaced, so a shot of the outter tierod will have to suffice:

Upper BJ with clearencing for the inside of the mount for the new springs:

And a head on shot. Now to take it to get an alignment. Could've adjusted it better but I was done for the day.

A side shot. I don't think the new springs lifted it much if any at all. I'll get a new side on shot at work after the alignment is done. I chose the 1st perch of the shock to see where it landed me. I think it'll do for now and we'll see how it does on this next weekends run through WoodPecker.

Thanks for looking..comment's good or bad are appreciated.

-Ted
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, you were in, as my kids used to say, "Dizzynand"! hahaha... Haven't been in AT LEAST 15 years! HOW SAD IS THAT!?(Kids liked going to Knott's more for some reason, so we DID hit the Amusement Park...just not that one < ME! lol)..... Any pics of your trip there? Hope you had fun, man!

Great job on the front end repairs/upgrades.... Looks great! I hope you like the ride more with the Billy's, etc.,

PS> THANKS on the www.calminitruck.com ! I know of a few, but I'd forgotten about them. I think there used to be one right up here in Torrance.... But they had to FLEE due to "L.A. Proper Taxes"! hahaha. Not sure on that, .... think so though.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-20-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM

looks good ted, should make the front end feel much tighter. wish I could afford your front end set up, may be some day LOL.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM

love the 4runner, love the build. didnt have time to read over it all, but did you order longer shocks when you relocated your shocks to the outside?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
love the 4runner, love the build. didnt have time to read over it all, but did you order longer shocks when you relocated your shocks to the outside?
Yes. 10" travel with a 255/70 rating...IIRC. Might be wrong with that...I can check the shock and get the part no. if needed. But I think those ratings are correct and thanks for the kudos with the build. Slowly progressing.

-Ted
Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
looks good ted, should make the front end feel much tighter. wish I could afford your front end set up, may be some day LOL.
I hope it toghtens it up...been here at the shop for an alignment now for just about 3 hours and they still haven't gotten to it. Funds are konda tight and have been since the purchase so I've been trying to buy 1 part a week. This seems to be working out as I'm very particular as to the suspension components. Factory "555" parts are an OEM foundry that supposedly make the parts for Duralast. My guy over at Autozone has been awesome with tracking em' down for me. By the way, MOOG and "555" have the same part numbers for the 4Runner. If its not OEM, its MOOG for me. I've always had good service life from MOOG parts. The Bilstein's in the front seem to match the rear well, but we'll have the final verdict after this next weekend. Thanks for checking in.

-Ted
Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Initial impression: After waiting the better part of 5 hours for them to start on the alignment, it was finally underway.

1- I can't believe how sloppy the steering was before. Now its tight and crisp.

2- It did level out more or so it seems. It was dark by the time I'd arrive to work so I didn't get any pics. Tomorrow though, I will and post before and after.

3- With the sway bar bushings replaced, there isn't as much body roll. Initially, it rolls but then stops.

4- With the rear OME coils and 5125's valving, the front and rear seem as though they're in unison with each other. This combination seems like they were designed to be together. The front could be described as plush...definitely not harsh. My idea of harsh is cranked T-bars with tires inflated to max pressure.

I like it so far for its street manners. I hope it does as well in the dirt and rocks this weekend.

-Ted
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 AM

are you setting up to be able to disconnect the sway bars? neither of mine are connected, the road manners don't bother me but anybody that rides in it says its scary. I need to go thru the front of mine its not falling apart but definitely loose. glad to hear your happy with the out come, can't wait to hear about the results of your upcoming wheeling trip.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Looking good...reminds me I need to do all my bushings and TRE's. Still waiting on my suspension from....evidently Tasmania as long as this order is taking!

Quick Reply: Snowshredder's 1997 4Runner Build-up