Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

brian2sun's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my new lower control arms on that J-money$$$ and I made ourselves which are 1.75" .120 wall DOM tubing sleeved with and inner 1.5" .120 wall DOM tube so essentially 1/4" thick 1.75" tube going to 7/8" heim joints. Virtually indestructible and provide ~22* more flex than the stock arms. At the same time, we armored the LCA mounts on the frame side with some steel plating to reinforce the vulnerable mounts. Here's the thread all about them (pics shown are J-money$$$'s truck but it looks the same as mine)...
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...wer-links.html
Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 PM

I got my front ARB installed last weekend!!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2sun
I got my front ARB installed last weekend!!
Nice! Keep us posted on how the CV's hold up
Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good Brian, have you had a chance to try out that LCA armor?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
Nice! Keep us posted on how the CV's hold up
For sure.

Originally Posted by okie81
Looking good Brian, have you had a chance to try out that LCA armor?
My new LCAs are fricken tough! I actually split a boulder a couple days ago when I landed the bung for the heim joint right down on the rock. Knocked a little paint off the arm, killed the boulder. These things are one of the best mods I've done armor-wise because the stock LCAs and mounts are weak.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good man, I have been following you on T4R.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:16 PM

As many of you know, Jason (J-money$$$) and I built some heavy duty rear lower control arms with heim joints a couple weeks ago and they added a couple inches of more travel to the rear suspension:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...wer-links.html
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165606

The problem we had is the OME comfort shocks we were running weren't long enough and they limited the travel. We decided we needed to get rid of them fast because we didn't want to over-extend them and break them. So today we threw on some Tokico Trekmaster Landcruiser shocks (which are ~2" longer than the OMEs) and now I have some ridiculously awesome flex. Jason and I have the rear upper control arms in the works as well, so stay tuned for those. For now, here's some pics from today after we installed the Tokicos (BTW, the tires are on the ground and still getting traction in all of these pics)...

Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is friggin sweet Brian! Can't wait to see what ya'll come up with for the upper links
Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
That is friggin sweet Brian! Can't wait to see what ya'll come up with for the upper links
Thanks! Jason ordered the materials for the upper links today so if all goes to plan, we should have them done this weekend.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM

97 T4R Lift

Hey there i want to do a lift on my truck i saw these 2.5" spacer for the front, Will that affect my cv axles. Is that why you did a 1" diff drop on yours?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Nice looking truck. Hopefully mine get to be @ leat 1/2 of that.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Any lift is going to affect your CVs. Chances are your stock CV boots will leak grease when you put the lift on. It happens more often than not. You can put regular hose clamps over the stock ones to try to tighten them, but they won't like the new angles. I let my stockies leak all the grease out, let the boots get shredded up, duct-taped them, and ran them like that for over a year. They never did break, but I replaced them for maintenance and the new ones have been fine with the angle. Yes, the diff drop will help a little bit on your CV angle. They are cheap so IMO it's worth getting one.

Please search for those kinds of common questions, my build thread isn't the place to ask tech questions. But you're pretty new so it's cool, haha.

Last edited by brian2sun; 12-07-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM

thank you for the info
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Nice rig man. Have you ever had a load on those D-rings in the front?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Yeah, I've pulled out vehicles and other things with my front D-rings. I pushed a few trucks/Jeeps with the ARB too. It has its fair share of dents and scrapes, but it's sturdy.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM

I love reading about rigs like this - great build! I'm just wondering a couple of things - first, are you happy with your 4.88 gears, or do you think you could have gone to 5.29's and been happier? Also, how are your Maxxis Bighorns on the road? Lastly, in the "sticky - must read" 3rd gen suspension thread, Bamachem makes a huge deal about not using OME shocks with an ARB locker in the front, as that combination will supposedly eat CV's. Have you had any issues with that?
Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 12:41 PM

With all the extra weight I've added (bumpers, skids, sliders, tools, spare parts, gear, etc..), I would have gone 5.29s in hindsight, but the 4.88s are still pretty good. There isn't a big difference between the 2, maybe 100-150 rpms at highway speed.
The Bighorns are great off road tires, but I think they are the loudest tires I've ever had on road. They wear a little fast IMO too, but on the trail they are great and get awesome traction on the rocks.
I've had no issues with my OME struts and my front ARB locker. I have also read about how OMEs are supposed to overextend the CVs, but I've been running comfort shocks and wheeling hard on them for over a year with no problems. Sonoran Steel's site says that you shouldn't run OME struts at all in the front without limit straps or something, but I've hung plenty of tires and mine have been great.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 PM

The ice box holder is made! Big thanks to Jason (J-money$$$) for making it for me. It bolts to the same mounts as my gas can holder. I'll get some pics in a few days with it installed, but I still need to paint it first.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Little update...
My engine finally started missing really bad lately (kind of a long time in the making) and t ended up being burnt (or badly mis-adjusted) valves on #3 and #5. I also have a small HG leak into the combustion chamber (which I diagnsed by pulling the spark plugs overnight and seeing coolant in there in the morning). The cost of a valve job or a HG job on their own are almost as much as a full rebuild, so I just bit the bullet and went for it!

If all goes to plan, I will have her back by the end of the week with a newly rebuilt engine ready to go for at least another 205K!! I could have just done the valves and HGs, but I figured with my luck I would spin a rod bearing, or have ring issues, or something else in the not-so-distance future so it was a better choice to just start fresh with a clean slate.

I should be picking it back up Friday and then hopefully on Saturday I'll install my new and improved rear lower links that J-money$$$ and I have been working on for several months (we already finished my uppers and those are installed and working wonderfully). I also have some new OME 861 rear coils to install! OME makes them as small lift coils for an FJZ80 so they are basically like 9 wraps but will support more weight. It's going to be like a new truck!! Pics of the new links and lift to come soon...

On a side note, I was also planning on selling my DD (an '05 Honda CR-V) and maybe buying a little 4-banger, 4x4, manual, standard cab Taco for a new DD because it would be more useful to me than a CR-V. But knowing that the 4runner will be like a new truck again in a few days, I'm leaning towards just slapping my front sway bar back on and driving the 4runner as my DD again. So I think I'm takin it out of retirement for now baby! So from now on, you may call my 4runner "Favre". I'll get to keep about 1/2 of the $$ I get for my Honda after I pay off the loan so I may even splurge a little bit for "Favre" and get a couple little things... like a winch, exhaust, and maybe some rock lights.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Here's a shot of what my upper links look like...

Quick Reply: brian2sun's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread