Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Yoda Jim's

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yoda Jim's

So I live a long way from Colorado but have contacted YodaJim's about shipping me a rust free frame to replace my rotted out one that has been destroyed by Northern New England road salt. They have been incredibly nice and helpful and have very reasonable pricing, in my opinion. However, since I would have no opportunity to inspect what they might send me, I was wondering what other folks' experiences with YodaJim's has been, if they would trust them to send a "good rust free frame" if that is what they said they would send. Feel free to PM me if this is not an appropriate public discussion. I have heard good things about YodaJim's and have no reason not to take them at their word, but I also don't want to drop $750+ (with shipping) on something that is going to rot out on me in two or three years. What do you guys think? Buy a frame from Yoda Jim's sight unseen and trust them to send me something "near mint" or "rust free"?

Thanks for yourtime & opinions
Old 09-22-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
You do realize even a Virgin frame never even seeing rain you still need to be after all the time

In that Climate up there Been there all to often

A used frame is just that used if you want mint you would be paying about 3
times the figure you were quoted

My truck came from Central Texas 3 winters in Pa with a few trips to Virmint and Up state Ny I was doing major frame repairs

In this day and age can you not have them take pictures ??

The thing is to make sure your both on the same page . Your mint and there mint might be 300 yards apart

Case in point I think your body looks decent others think it is not worth doing anything .

Are these refurbished frames ?? All sand blasted and painted ??

Just stripped out of salvage vehicles ??
Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes your version of rust free might very well differ from their's.
I would call a rust free frame one that doesn't have rust flaking off it and is solid. It could still look rusty.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have dealt with Jim for years and would trust he would send you a good frame. I have never had a part not work from him.

In fact I have hoarded away every important part needed to keep my 88 going indefinitely and they all come from Jim.

He's a good guy.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks everyone for giving me some things to think about. Just to address some of the good points brought up, I am aware that where I live the fight against the weather and salt is a constant, and ultimately a losing battle. It is because of my awareness of that fact that I would like to get the best frame I can, because at least now I am old enough to realize the importance of "keeping after it" and know what needs to be done, and fortunately for me I can now often afford to fight the best battle against the salt and humidity that can be fought. Eventually, yeah the same thing is going to happen and the truck will rot, but I think I can do what needs to be done to make it last as long as possible. I also agree that yeah, in this day and age it seems perfectly reasonable to ask for photos of parts, but I have found a lot of places that turn up on my car-parts searches can't really be bothered to send me photos. I just don't do business with those folks, but it seems like there are so many that I run across it's almost the norm and I am often told that I should really come inspect the part if I am interested. Even photos though, are not the same as seeing it in person and I was just looking to get an idea if the good things I have heard about them were still current.

So far, I have to say that YodaJim's customer service has been beyond my wildest hopes. They have been very quick in answering questions, helpful, and even cheerful in their email correspondence. We haven't gotten to far into things yet, but I am really pleased with the way I have been treated so far and if this is the way they handle things in all parts of their business I feel pretty good about how things may turn out.

Thanks again for the information folks have offered about YodaJim's