Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wiring iPod into factory stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring iPod into factory stereo

I have a 99 limited runner with the factory head unit w/ sigle cd player. I was curious to know if the products from companies like PIE that create an aux input will work for my head unit. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

I found that an iRock from Radio Shack or a cassette adapter was cheapest and easiest when plying an iPod.

Just my $.02
Old 05-21-2004, 07:42 AM
lee
Contributing Member

DO NOT buy an 'iTrip' if you live in a big city.

that thing simply does not work.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:47 AM

yea, I dont want to use a tape adapter or fm modulator if possible. I want to hardwire it. That is why I am asking if the aux adapter will work with my factory stereo.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:52 AM
lee
Contributing Member

if it has an aux port, then yes, but i dont know that it does.

hopefully you can get a new HU in there... most (read: 99.9%) would be able to support it for sure.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

There are some wired fm modulator's. I had a wireless FM modulator on my Sirius receiver and it would go fuzzy when I went to different cities. I bought the wired FM modulator (which has an on/off switch) and it comes in crystal clear. It basically T's into the antenna wire, then you will need to wire a power and ground wire.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Blitzsafe and PIE (Precision Interface Electronics) harnesses are highly recommended for what you're looking to do. You'll want to comntact them to see if they have a harness for the radio/truck combo:
MyRadioStore.com is a dealer:
http://store.myradiostore.com/blitzsafe.html
http://store.myradiostore.com/prinel.html
Old 05-21-2004, 12:49 PM

Try a Dension Ice>Link.

www.dension.com
Old 05-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

easiest way would be to get a cable that goes from rca->headphone then mount a plate with rca jacks on the side of the center console (like people have done with cigarette power adapters).
Old 05-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Personally, I'd save the time and dissapointment with a wired FM modulator and such. Spend the extra money, and get a good aftermarket head unit. Then spend the extra $20 and get the AUX input adapter. I bet you'll spend just about as much, or a little more than the ICE Link. Besides, you'll have mucho better sound quality!

Hit up http://www.crutchfield.com/ to see what you like, then hit up ebay and get what you want.

Happy tunes!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Praufet
easiest way would be to get a cable that goes from rca->headphone then mount a plate with rca jacks on the side of the center console (like people have done with cigarette power adapters).
Originally Posted by spyder
Try a Dension Ice>Link.
You guys are kinda' missing the point... The poster (Gladden) has the stock head unit in his truck which doesn't have ANY form of external line input. An external line-in would be required to mount RCA jacks on the console, and the Dension unit requires a line-in as well - it's a vicious cricle.

Short of replacing the head unit (probably a good idea anyway Gapguy), the Blitzsafe or PIE cable harnesses are about his only option. But, those cables require specific things from the factory unit - namely that it has some sort of support for an external changer. They work by "creating" a set of RCA line inputs out of the factory changer input. You dont have to have a changer already, the head unit just has to be able to support it. The harness will fake the head unit into thinking there's a changer when you plug in an external deivce - like an iPod.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:02 PM

I wired my ipod direct to my stock 4runner stereo with a hardwired FM modulator. It was very easy to do and sounds quite good. There are many kinds of FM modulators, ones that turn on when they sense an input and the switched version, what you use is just a matter of taste they both work well. Let me know if you need more detailed info.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

i use an FM modulator that came with my XM radio. it shuts off signal to all stations when my XM receiver is on (maybe this is how all modulators work, i dont know). anyway. ive driven all up the state of california with it and never had any problems, this includes passing through LA, santa barbara, and my heavily populated part of orange county.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
You guys are kinda' missing the point... The poster (Gladden) has the stock head unit in his truck which doesn't have ANY form of external line input. An external line-in would be required to mount RCA jacks on the console, and the Dension unit requires a line-in as well - it's a vicious cricle.

Short of replacing the head unit (probably a good idea anyway Gapguy), the Blitzsafe or PIE cable harnesses are about his only option. But, those cables require specific things from the factory unit - namely that it has some sort of support for an external changer. They work by "creating" a set of RCA line inputs out of the factory changer input. You dont have to have a changer already, the head unit just has to be able to support it. The harness will fake the head unit into thinking there's a changer when you plug in an external deivce - like an iPod.
Actually, the Dension ice>Link would work just fine for this application. It works just like the Blitzsafe and PIE units, except the Dension product also supplies power to the iPod. The ice>Link can even work with some in-dash CD Changers.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
i use an FM modulator that came with my XM radio. it shuts off signal to all stations when my XM receiver is on (maybe this is how all modulators work, i dont know). anyway. ive driven all up the state of california with it and never had any problems, this includes passing through LA, santa barbara, and my heavily populated part of orange county.
I think there is some problems with terminology that is causing some confusion. The FM modulator will not have problems with interference from other radio stations as it is hard wired into the head unit. The FM transmitter is wireless and works by operating on a certain frequency. When going into a large city most frenquencies are taken up or have a station near it that will cause interference.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:27 PM

I use an FM Modulator with mine. Turn the Modulator on and it blocks all other signals. Most regular radio stations no longer can be tuned in.
I am for this option.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by kronicx
Actually, the Dension ice>Link would work just fine for this application. It works just like the Blitzsafe and PIE units, except the Dension product also supplies power to the iPod. The ice>Link can even work with some in-dash CD Changers.
After a re-read of their site, I stand corrected. At the first couple of reads it looked like they wanted a line-in already present, but then I found the page talking about factory harnesses.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:26 PM

I would have to agree that hard wired is the best option of any. I actually sell the wireless options and they really suck in a big city. Either go with the Dension harness adapter or buy a new head unit.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

OK, so the Ice Link (and similar models) may verywell work. Does anybody know if the runner can support and external changer? My 97 stereo didn't.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
OK, so the Ice Link (and similar models) may verywell work. Does anybody know if the runner can support and external changer? My 97 stereo didn't.
Did yours come with a double DIN deck? Mine came with just the tape player and has a CD changer hookup on the back.

Quick Reply: Wiring iPod into factory stereo