Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wiring fog lights to bright lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring fog lights to bright lights

I didn't see a write-up on this in the electrical section but I am sure there is one someone, if somebody could post a link or just let me know how to wire my piaa 520's up to come on/off with my bright lights. I have them wired up to an auxillary switch in the dash now. Thanks
Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You just have to find the wire that runs to the relay to turn on the brights. Tap into that one and have it go to the connector that your switch is connected to right now on your new relay to bring power to your aux lights.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:53 PM

With mine I just ran a wire from the high beam wire right at the head light on the drivers side. Here is a good way to do it. Just follow the diagram. Mike

http://www.kchilites.com/faq/instruc...layHarness.pdf
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
there where awesome write up's in the tech section but there all gone which really sucks
Old 03-14-2007, 03:52 AM

yeah we should have stickys or write ups that wont get deleted that deals with wiring lights and mounting lights on stock bumpers and etc
Old 03-14-2007, 04:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got them wired directly to the high beam wire on my driver's side headlight (2002 4Runner) with a inline switch so that I have the option to turn them off even with the highbeams on if I choose to. I have automatic headlights that turn off when I shut the truck off and open the driver's door, so I always leave the headlight switch turned on. However, if my inline switch for my aux lights is on, and my headlight switch is off, my aux lights come on (more dim than usual), and there's a slight hum from my aux light relay.

This is due to the daytime running lights coming on. I haven't troubleshooted this yet (because I mostly leave my headlight switch on all the time, so it's not an issue), but I suspect that there's voltage (lower than 12V) going through the high beam wire when the daytime running lights are on. Just something to keep in mind if you have DRL. I will eventually correct this when I have time, but for now, I'm just living with it.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:28 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Elton
there where awesome write up's in the tech section but there all gone which really sucks
I have a rule that states all tech writeups be hosted on this server for that very reason, but the author who put them in there did not follow the rules, and has pulled them down for now.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:36 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Typically fog lights should be on with the LOW beams as HIGH beams in fog are useless so simply tap the low beam wire off the headlights for the 12 volts for the relay.

There are tons of write-ups for lighting on the internet and a Lighting FAQ thread on YT.

Almost all manufacturers of lights have multiple wiring diagrams on their websites.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 AM

Your fog lights will come on and off at random due to daytime running lights if wired up to your high beam. Your best bet is to install an inline switch so you can turn them off. Daytime running lights IIRC use both high and low beam elements at lower voltage.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by zedex
Your fog lights will come on and off at random due to daytime running lights if wired up to your high beam. Your best bet is to install an inline switch so you can turn them off. Daytime running lights IIRC use both high and low beam elements at lower voltage.

That would depend on what vehicle he has. My 01 Tacoma can be set so that the lights come on as soon as I start it or off when I turn it off and open the door or they can be just left off. I leave mine on and have my Hella running lights hooked to the high beam and a switch so that I can turn on the Hella lights when I want them on and they will come on as long as the switch is on and the high beams are on.
I do agree with the idea that fog lights should be hooked to low beams or he can just hook them to a switch alone. Mike
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Beartracker
That would depend on what vehicle he has. My 01 Tacoma can be set so that the lights come on as soon as I start it or off when I turn it off and open the door or they can be just left off. I leave mine on and have my Hella running lights hooked to the high beam and a switch so that I can turn on the Hella lights when I want them on and they will come on as long as the switch is on and the high beams are on.
I do agree with the idea that fog lights should be hooked to low beams or he can just hook them to a switch alone. Mike

how do you hook the fogs up to the low beams (so when the lights are off the fogs wont come on till you turn your low beams on and still have the option to turn the fogs off via the fog light witch)
Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

This diagram is a good one, it is what I followed a few weeks back when I wired up my fogs.
However I tapped into the running light circuit, so the fogs can operate at any time if the stalk is turned to the first or second position.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by zedex
Yeah, like I mentioned, that's how mine are set up. I do have the inline switch so that I can shut off my aux driving lights if my DRL are on, but my headlight switch is typically just left on anyways, so it's not usually a problem. I do want to make it better, though, so I'll be going through the wiring diagram again eventually to find a point that's got 12V when the highbeams are on and 0V any other time (even when the DRL's are on).
Old 03-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
This diagram is a good one, it is what I followed a few weeks back when I wired up my fogs.
However I tapped into the running light circuit, so the fogs can operate at any time if the stalk is turned to the first or second position.

corey, do you have a diagram for 2002 era tacomas v6? and whats an IPF?? sorry for the dumb questions but this stuff should be stickied

thanks man
Old 03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That diagram there is for the IPF (brand of fog & driving lights that are distributed through ARB) lamps are for the harness that comes with IPF fogs/driving lamps.

But you can use it for a guideline for just about any rig.
I have an animated GIF on my site too that is for a three prong switch which should work for you, and an article in the tech section here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127/wiring-up-auxiliary-lights-2nd-gen-4runner-75274/

I used the diagram I posted from the FJ Forums since it is for the 4 prong Tacoma switch which FJ Cruiser owners are using in their rigs.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 AM

thanks corey!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
thanks corey!!!

Looks like Cory to the rescue again,Lol. That's the way I wired my running lights but I used the hig beam wire to tap into. Mike
Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
That diagram there is for the IPF (brand of fog & driving lights that are distributed through ARB) lamps are for the harness that comes with IPF fogs/driving lamps.

But you can use it for a guideline for just about any rig.
I have an animated GIF on my site too that is for a three prong switch which should work for you, and an article in the tech section here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75274

I used the diagram I posted from the FJ Forums since it is for the 4 prong Tacoma switch which FJ Cruiser owners are using in their rigs.
so when you splice into the low beams does it have to just one low beam wire? or do you have to splice into both?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:08 AM

All you need to tap into is one wire. Basically when that wire gets power (i.e. low beam are on), then your relay gets power which closes its main contacts. Both of your aux lights will then be powered through the main feed from your battery through the main contacts of your relay. The split to both your aux lights is done after the relay.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
All you need to tap into is one wire. Basically when that wire gets power (i.e. low beam are on), then your relay gets power which closes its main contacts. Both of your aux lights will then be powered through the main feed from your battery through the main contacts of your relay. The split to both your aux lights is done after the relay.
thanks guys. makes a lot more sense now. can we make this a sticky or tech write up? lots of good simple info in here

thanks again

Quick Reply: Wiring fog lights to bright lights