Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Who's running alcohol injection??

Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, I get it now. The place in OKC I've been going to has underground tanks and a pump like at a gas station. But its just for meth, the nozzle is so big it doesn't fit inside a normal gas can.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TKGN1
100% meth in all cases I know of. I run 100%.
Also, denatured alcohol was used for a few years before methanol became the better choice.

here is a link to the alky forums on the buick boards, might be some useful info there. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/alc...-propane-tech/
Nice link.

I haven't done much research into the mixtures since I installed my system a few years ago, so I went back to my source to see if anything had changed. It appears first glance to be the same recommendation, that its the water that really does the cooling. Here's a link: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=1334

Any thoughts on that?

BTW are you going to school at A&M?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the water is the cooling part, alcohol basically for power (higher octane) about 116 equivalant. I run 50/50 for price/safety but occasionally liked to run 100% for fun before I S/C'ed. Does anyone know if the alcohol also provides cooling of any kind? My buddy's 900 HP Evo IX and other ricer setups all seem to run 100% with their turbos, omitting the water completely; my guess is HP? It would seem any cool liquid atomized pre-intake would lower the temp resulting in a denser/cooler air charge to some degree (no pun intended...)

Thanks for the info about the meth contamination; I'll have to see what they're doing at the shop when they fill my cans; don't want to have to pay for a new pump anytime soon!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Nice link.

I haven't done much research into the mixtures since I installed my system a few years ago, so I went back to my source to see if anything had changed. It appears first glance to be the same recommendation, that its the water that really does the cooling. Here's a link: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=1334

Any thoughts on that?

BTW are you going to school at A&M?
LOL, no man, I'm a few years past college but I did date a few girls that went there! Been in the Bryan/College Station area all my life.

I believe why most that I know stick with 100% meth is for the cooling properties under high boost. I'll be honest, if adding water to the mix showed significant gains, I garuantee there would be alot more cars out there doing the 50/50 mix. Realize that the main reasons most run it on the Buicks is to be able to run high boost, pump gas, and hold detonation at bay, not using it as a "power adder" but more of a detonation preventor.
I have not done any testing on rather a water mix would be better or not, but what I can tell ya is that 100% meth works for me.
As aa1911 says, water mix worked on his car but his buddies car liked 100% meth. I believe what type of engine and the the dynamics of the intake/injectors/alky nozzle play an important role on how and where the alky/fuel/air are sprayed and mixed. Also, if there has been significant testing done on certain types of set-ups (Buicks for example) you get a lot of feed back on what works, what doesn't.

By the way, somewhere in the BCS area there is a Vette owner that is really butthurt today from getting raped by an '87 Buick last night.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 AM

hahaha, nice... Yeah, I run water for additonal safety plus the cleansing effect and I'm only running 8 psi of boost so it's probably not an issue anyway. Once I finally get the time to really tune my timing and meth together a bit better I expect some decent gains; my fuel map is tuned beautifully but I don't think my timing is quite right. I've heard of people actually losing HP when they put a meth kit on (even at 100%) but after tuning the engine they saw huge gains. Like I stated before, my meth/water mix is only getting me an additional 10 HP right now, there's plenty more to be had!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
forgive me for bringing back a thread from the dead, but i have a few questions. first is the voltage controller on the tps for a 3vze. im not boosted or plan to be anytime soon but im very interested in this mod. do you have pics or a link of where u got the voltage controller or is it something i can buy from ace or lowe's?? second is a stand alone ecu or piggy back required or useful with the meth injection? i have several mods on my truck already that have helped a great deal (see sig) but they were also a headache to retune the truck to be drivable. so if i add meth injection will i need a fuel map or piggy back to help it or just plug and play with the voltage controller?? any info pics or links is appreciated
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM

it's plug and play really unless you inject a large amount. a large amount for a veezy would probably be anything over about 5-7 or so GPH nozzles, I'm running a recommended 2gph. a 3 would also be fine for this. I ran a 3 in my 3.4 for a long time with excellent results before I bumped up to a 5.

the voltage controller is available from Devil's Own, they run about $155 I think. you really don't need a controller though, take a look at TexasAces's DIY meth injection thread, very good info and you can put together a system very cheap. You really don't need to waste money on a controller for the 3vze, it's not worth it. A simple on/off control is all that is needed, usually a vacuum switch of some type.

D.O. makes great nozzles, they can be had pretty cheap and tubing/connectors, tanks, etc are also available from many alcohol injection vendors. AEM, Cooling Mist, Aqua Mist, many others out there.

any questions, ask away; tons of pros, no real cons to meth injection!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 PM

and the link....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...-150-a-222254/
Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 AM

Thanks for the reply and the recommendations about the nozzle and the voltage controller. I have read that thread many times about the diy meth setup and that's when I learned you had it on a veezy. My only sticking point so far is the switch. Hes saying run an on/off switch on the throttle body or gas pedal. I guess I'm not clear on what area would work better. I'm thinking gas pedal but I wonder how well it would work with cruise control. Any thoughts or further recommendations would be helpful
Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 AM

I would probably do the TB over the gas pedal, more accurate I think; a lot of times I mush on the pedal in too high a gear, my system won't come on until I get a set amount of airflow going through the tube.

You want it coupled with airflow unless you are running boost (then pressure/MAP sensor is best), the MAF is good for NA engines but since I could not find a usable 0-5v signal anywhere on the VAFM in the veezy, the TPS was my next choice and it works well. It does not come on quite as soon as I want with my controller at the lowest voltage, but it's pretty decent and functions flawlessly.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 AM

oh yeah, and depending on where you hook it up to the gas pedal, cruise should work also as it physically moves the pedal.

I was curious if my voltage controller would work in cruise, and of course! works perfect as it's measuring airflow, I shoulda guessed that one before.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 AM

oh yeah, and depending on where you hook it up to the gas pedal, cruise should work also as it physically moves the pedal.

I was curious if my voltage controller would work in cruise, and of course! works perfect as it's measuring airflow, I shoulda guessed that one before.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 PM

what airflow are you talking bout? im not boosted so that isnt an issue. im just wondering how to set up a switch on the TB since that is A LOT of travel on the it.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM

I have mine in my taco hooked up to the MAF, for the veezy you just need an on/off switch of some type to kick on the system at a desired point, no need for a full progressive injection.

basically, you don't want to be injecting all the time, just during moderate to heavy acceleration really.

as for a switch, a mechanical switch of some type hooked to the TB butterfly plate position (which would be roughly the same as the gas pedal?) or a switch than measures voltage that can be adjusted to turn on at say 2 volts; would be the same as a voltage controller just not progressive. Granger online has tons of stuff, DelCity is a great company that I have ordered from if you want to go the electrical route.

I need to go back and read TA's thread...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM

awesome info. you have given me someplace to start looking for my switch. thanks a ton for your time and knowledge
Old 06-15-2012, 05:09 PM

sure thing! mcmasters was the place that TA has a link to in his thread, lots of goodies there I just have not personally ordered from them yet. Their switches look like they would be pretty easy to set up.

I was a bit nervous at first injecting water into my engine but it's completely good for it and won't screw anything up.

started this thread because after doing a few alky setups, I can't believe more people are not doing it especially with gas costs today.

let us know if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to share what I know!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 PM

speaking of gas prices... how much improvement in mpg's are you getting?? im currently getting ~~18 mpg. just wondering how much improvement i could get from this mod.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 AM

very little to quite a bit depending on driving habits, nozzle size, the switch setting, etc but on average I would be safe saying you should see at least 1mpg improvement across the board.

my taco saw better improvement than my veezy but it also has a lot more to improve on; I'm also running a smaller nozzle in my 3vze.

Also play around with different mixtures of dH2O and methanol, you can even use washer fluid.

To be accurate, I would try and stick with one grade of fuel and one gas station for a while so that you might be getting close to the same fuel and therefore fair/accurate results in mpg's; the ethanol (up to 10%) is BS, some stations have been caught with as much as nearly 30% ethanol. That's enough to completely negate your injection.

(just did a road trip thru WA, OR, ID and MO in my monster machine, mostly highway mileage of course with some variation in elevation/wind/hills, etc but got as low as 12.8 mpg's on some crap 7/11 gas and as much as 17.1 I think on ethanol free 91 octane.)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 AM

can't remember if I've mentioned it on here yet but prior to SCing, my 3.4 was ringing in about 275 miles or so on a tank, sometimes pushing 300 but very rare. After alky injection with only a 3gph nozzle, I jumped to 325 easily and hit 353 as a record for a tank of fuel! that was driving like a throttle jockey idiot too, I could feel a real difference in power.

(then I put bigger tires and steel wheels on and I'm back to about 270 miles on a tank, ha! I need a tune though.... been like 2 years! runnin good)
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aa1911
can't remember if I've mentioned it on here yet but prior to SCing, my 3.4 was ringing in about 275 miles or so on a tank, sometimes pushing 300 but very rare. After alky injection with only a 3gph nozzle, I jumped to 325 easily and hit 353 as a record for a tank of fuel! that was driving like a throttle jockey idiot too, I could feel a real difference in power.

(then I put bigger tires and steel wheels on and I'm back to about 270 miles on a tank, ha! I need a tune though.... been like 2 years! runnin good)
I met Texas Ace the other day, bought a tranny from him, and was scoping out his setup. Pretty sweet. His gauge pods look like a freakin Christmas tree!! My 99 SC Taco gets HOT! Does fine in everyday driving, but I start towing, even a moderate load and have the A/C on and hit a big hill, it wants to stay in boost, of course, but needle starts heading up and stays that way. He was thinking I should hook it up to the 7th injector closeout as I have the 6 larger injectors. I think he's dead on. I was looking at the cool mist setup that has the variable controller. I really like the ability to change my setup on the fly, in case I do decide to start beating on the throttle, or tow, or it's just August in Texas. Gonna stick this tranny in and that's definately my next project.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's running alcohol injection??