Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Where'd my horsepower go?!?!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DailyDrive
ODBII was invented just for cases like these. All the stuff you replaced was probably just fine, and could have been tested with an ODBII computer and an infrared thermometer.
Thats not the case--really--google it or search for lazy O2 AFR, TPS....etc..

To the oil changes--I was doing 10k oil changes when i lived out by Edwards AFB (out in the middle of nowhere) and was always driving highway or extended distances.

I use the Napa gold 3.0 liter engine ford filter...you can search it here on the site.

Now i do 10k or 3 months--whatever comes first since i live close to everything (local bar is just two miles down the road) :hillbilly:
Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! Much appreciated Well unless we get a warm day soon I'll update you guys in the spring! Cheers
Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by hross14
Thats not the case--really--google it or search for lazy O2 AFR, TPS....etc..
You haven't used an ODBII computer then. (ODBII code reader, maybe)

Both the O2 and the TPS can be fully tested without ever popping the hood.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM

You haven't used an ODBII computer then. (ODBII code reader, maybe)

Both the O2 and the TPS can be fully tested without ever popping the hood.
This is not a MY VOLT TESTER IS BIGGER THAN YOURS discussion

They get Lazy and slow to respond-and at a ~100k most should be replaced. Even with a graphing program or voltmeter it is hard to detect. So why chance being out in the middle of nowhere? Just take the time to search it out Daily Drive--you will see.......
Old 12-03-2010, 08:12 AM

This is not a MY VOLT TESTER IS BIGGER THAN YOURS discussion
No, it's about proper diagnostics methods. Replacing parts blindly is a prehistoric approach, which is expensive, and ineffective.

They get Lazy and slow to respond-and at a ~100k most should be replaced. Even with a graphing program or voltmeter it is hard to detect.
ODBII can sample O2 readings several times per second, so it is very easy to detect a malfunctioning O2.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At 169,000 miles , your compression is going to be lower than when it had 50,000 miles and your going to loose power over the life of the engine. Do a leak down or compression test.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM

I agree. A compression test is a good place to start, costs nothing and will tell you about the health of the engine.

You say it runs fine but doesn't pull as hard, when it kicks down, on the interstate. Have you serviced your transmission?
If the trans low ( or over full ) it can affect how well the torque converter works.
I would recommend replacing the fluid as the additives in it will brake down over time and it will affect how smoothly the trans shifts. as well as how much slippage there is in the clutch packs.
Changing trans fluid is an often overlooked part of vehicle maintenance. same with brake fluid, and diff fluid.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:19 AM

No, it's about proper diagnostics methods. Replacing parts blindly is a prehistoric approach, which is expensive, and ineffective.

ODBII can sample O2 readings several times per second, so it is very easy to detect a malfunctioning O2.
LOL--cool- i guess our experiences differ......
Old 11-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Gonna bring this post back from the dead. I'm still having this issue of low horsepower in the passing gear on the interstate. I have done a lot of work to it, mostly PM. I have just this past weekend replaced the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, thermostat and drive belts. It sounds brand new but still can't get goin on the interstate. No indications like studdering or bogging down. It simply revs up, sounds great but instead of the head pinned back hp i used to have it just labors forward.

I took it in to the shop today for an alignment, balance, and rotation and asked the guys to check out the engine. they hooked up a computer to it and found nothing wrong. They actually couldn't believe how great it sounded, said it sounds brand new :-D I asked if they'd run a compression/leak down test but they didn't even see the point with how great it ran. I'm not sure what else to do. All i can think is to get a scanner (lookin at the kiwi wifi for iphones) and see whats going on with the TPS at WOT. The muffler is still possibly clogged. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm also gonna run some injector cleaner in about 5 tanks in a row. Done seafoam and gumout already. Will try lucas and chevron teckron. Thanks again for your help guys.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ddeal77
Gonna bring this post back from the dead. I'm still having this issue of low horsepower in the passing gear on the interstate. I have done a lot of work to it, mostly PM. I have just this past weekend replaced the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, thermostat and drive belts. It sounds brand new but still can't get goin on the interstate. No indications like studdering or bogging down. It simply revs up, sounds great but instead of the head pinned back hp i used to have it just labors forward.

I took it in to the shop today for an alignment, balance, and rotation and asked the guys to check out the engine. they hooked up a computer to it and found nothing wrong. They actually couldn't believe how great it sounded, said it sounds brand new :-D I asked if they'd run a compression/leak down test but they didn't even see the point with how great it ran. I'm not sure what else to do. All i can think is to get a scanner (lookin at the kiwi wifi for iphones) and see whats going on with the TPS at WOT. The muffler is still possibly clogged. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm also gonna run some injector cleaner in about 5 tanks in a row. Done seafoam and gumout already. Will try lucas and chevron teckron. Thanks again for your help guys.

they never had "head pinned" back h.p. imo
Old 11-14-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by y2kltdsport
they never had "head pinned" back h.p. imo
Ok, I understand I'm not gonna be winning any trophies on the strip but I should be able to pass a car on the interstate without mapping out a strategy plan and a priest in the front seat! I'm curious to see what the MAF and TPS are doing at WOT. Hope to order the Kiwi Wifi for the iPhone/iTouch this week. Anyone else gotten their hands on one of these yet? http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html
Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Any chance your cat is clogged? Has it ever been replaced?

Fink
Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fink
Any chance your cat is clogged? Has it ever been replaced?

Fink
Not much of a chance there. That was my initial suspicion so I changed both cats last spring and also the A/F sensor. Haven't changed out the second O2 Sensor since it has no bearing on performance adjustments (or so I hear).
Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like mine, no torque. Check the distributior coil packs. procedure is in the FSM. Mine are way out of spec & a new richporter Dist, is not in the budget either. So I drive the dog & get 15mpg or so. I worry about getting rearended on the hwy, I'm so slow going uphill. LOL
Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
Sounds like mine, no torque. Check the distributior coil packs. procedure is in the FSM. Mine are way out of spec & a new richporter Dist, is not in the budget either. So I drive the dog & get 15mpg or so. I worry about getting rearended on the hwy, I'm so slow going uphill. LOL
Uphill is a joke! I suspected the coil packs a couple of years ago and at 223K miles I supose I can justify replacing the original packs as PM lol. I'll see how they test and go from there. Thanks for the info! Curious, how does your engine sound? Any indication outside of the lack of torque? I ask cause my engine sounds and runs great if you didn't happen to notice that you weren't getting anywhere! lol
Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds fine, like nothing wrong. But you need a running start to get up a hill, and it tops out at 70mph. I ran the FSM check and one coil pack was triple the FSM value, the other two were out less. The ECU just cannot advance the timing or add more fuel since the info it gets is wrong.

I downshift to first from a roll to get home and stand on it because if I don't make it I have to roll to the bottom and start over. LOL
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM

lol ok mine doesn't sound that bad thank goodness! I'd go insane having to drive through the Virginian mountains twice a day going to work!

I can't wait to check out the coil packs, I think we might be on to something! Hope to do so this weekend, will post my results. Thanks again