Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Where to put garage opener on 03

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to put garage opener on 03

This probably sounds trivial but I'm trying to figure out somewhere to put my garage remote on my 03. The sun visors are way too thick for the clip on the opener and I'd like to try and keep it accessible rather than stored away. In the alternative, is there anyway to buy a universal remote that could be fired off one of the many extra switchplates throughout the truck? Truck obviously didn't have the homelink from Toyota but is that something that can be retrofitted. If so, any idea how much it is?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Great forum!
Old 09-13-2003, 06:16 PM

I had the same problem. I extended the little side extension thingy on the visor a little bit and clipped onto that. It stays there pretty well but I haven't had to pull my visor down yet. I'd imagine the remote will fall right off when when I do flip the visor down.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:14 PM

This won't really help you but I thought I'd just comment.

My wife just bought a Mazda 6 and on the rear view mirror are three programmable buttons for garage doors/gate etc. It's really handy and we've programmed our garage door on it and now no more ugly bulky garage door remote hanging on the visor or anywhere else for that matter. Real nice feature
Old 09-13-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a mikado garage remote unit that fits in my bottom dash panel. check them out.

bob
Old 09-13-2003, 10:39 PM

Is it small enough to fit in the sunglasses holder in the ceiling?

I have the homelink but never use it. Didn't want it. Maybe I should push it once in a while to see if it opens someone's garage
Old 09-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

The homelink transmitters work great. They sell new rear view mirrors with all kind of options, including Homelink. Check it out at:

https://www.mitocorp.com/homelink_mirrors.htm
Old 09-14-2003, 12:07 PM

I simply modified the spring clip on the transmitter to fit the thick visor. Works great.

Would have preferred Home Link, but didn't think it was worth the extra $$. Has anyone bought and installed one on an SR5?
Old 09-14-2003, 01:09 PM

The clip of my remote has the bend flush with the end of the remote housing (I think it's a Genie). It hangs perfectly in the console just like the change doohicky, but hanging on the left side of the console instead of the right. I have no problem closing the console.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Billf6531

Re: Where to put garage opener on 03

Originally posted by tom4416
This probably sounds trivial but I'm trying to figure out somewhere to put my garage remote on my 03. The sun visors are way too thick for the clip on the opener and I'd like to try and keep it accessible rather than stored away. In the alternative, is there anyway to buy a universal remote that could be fired off one of the many extra switchplates throughout the truck? Truck obviously didn't have the homelink from Toyota but is that something that can be retrofitted. If so, any idea how much it is?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Great forum!
You could remove the clip and screw it/velcro it to the fuse panel cover by the driver's left knee. Worked well for me on my '98. Homelink is terrific!
Old 09-14-2003, 01:43 PM

I simply took the clip off of mine, and velcroed it to the back side of that little storage cubby right in front of the main center console

I was thinking about getting fancy, and mounting it below the filp open cover where the 12v outlet is, glue some sort of plunger onto the lid, and make it so when you push it down, it opens the garage door (pushes the remote button). On the plus side, it would be hidden, and that cover doesn't open up when you push down on the drivers side of it.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the HomeLink was standard in all models, the SR5 are a 30k dollar vehicle, thats a lot of money to just penny pinch certain features.

I would say velcro or double sided tape on the left side of the radio/ac-heat controls, their is a big enough area to put it.

You could always try strengthening your telekinetic mental brain power and you could use the FORCE
Old 09-14-2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by EDGE
I thought the HomeLink was standard in all models, the SR5 are a 30k dollar vehicle, thats a lot of money to just penny pinch certain features.

I would say velcro or double sided tape on the left side of the radio/ac-heat controls, their is a big enough area to put it.

You could always try strengthening your telekinetic mental brain power and you could use the FORCE
I'm not 100% sure but I think it was close to a $300.00 option that wasn't available anyway. There has to be a way to mount a switch in one of the blanks and then wire that into the remote to trip the radio signal. Unfortunately, I'm electronically challenged but perhaps I can find an enterprising technician who loves a challenge. In the meantime, I velcroed it over two of the blank switch plates below the console lid - looks kind of J.C. Whitney but it will do for now. Last time I put it loose in the console, my GPS shifted over on top of it and triggered the signal for several hours and freaked my wife out when the garage door kept doing strange and unusual things (it tripped her side, not mine) until the battery finally died. And I agree, for 30K, you'd think a simple thing like a universal remote would be standard but guess they have to cut corners somewhere to deliver "value to the consumer". As for the brain power, I'm afraid I've been on reserve since I turned fifty and there just isn't that much left!!!!