Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What does the Clutch Start Cancel button do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does the Clutch Start Cancel button do?

I have no idea, fill me in please.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tatsuo,

It allows you to start your 5-speed without pushing the clutch down to start the engine. You have to have your truck in (N)eutral to do this. If you try it in 1st, it will not turn over though it will try.

Put your truck in Neutral, hold down the brake, hit the Clutch Start Cancel and then turn the ignition. It should fire up right away.

I thought this was a useless feature until I got stuck on a sand dune and was sliding backwards. I hit the brake, hit the switch, fired it up, got into 1st gear and was on my way.

Bob
Old 05-19-2003, 09:34 AM

Thanks
Old 05-19-2003, 09:41 AM

It will allow you to start moving uphill when the engine is off without having to dynamite the clutch to get moving. If you are pointed uphill, and have the engine off, you can put it in 1st gear (or maybe 2nd if you are in low range) and start moving again without spinning your tires and stressing your driveline. It's a much more graceful way of starting uphill. This feature doesn't really work so well if the engine is cold because of the high idle speed. I use it all the time when off-roading.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:03 AM

Glenn,

Good lawd, that would be great if I could fire up my engine w/ the clutch start cancel in 1st gear. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here but wehn I try to fire her up in 1st, the engine goes "wooaaa woooaa woaaa"---it surges a little but goes nowhere.

Or am I misunderstanding what you said?

Bob
Old 05-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Post this over on on the Pirate board I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses!! hahaha Just kiddin man. That button is part of my checklist I have to run to start my truck sometimes. My buddies say it's the hardest rig they have ever seen to start. If you are standing outside and don't feel like getting in to start it you have to pull the E-brake, put it in nuetral, turn the key to on, hit the button on the remote to cut out the immobilizer if it's been more than 30 seconds since you de armed the alarm, hit the clutch start cancel and then crank her over..hahaha Makes it good for me though and provides good entertainment when someone else tries to start my truck.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:47 AM

Bob_98SR5-

Make sure the E-Brake isn't set or your foot on the brake at all. Put the tranny in 1st gear and use no pedals until the engine turns over; even if you're on a hill it won't roll back much (if at all) wihtout the e-brake.

I wouldn't have suggested this if I had not made the same mistake myself!
Old 05-19-2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Glenn,

Good lawd, that would be great if I could fire up my engine w/ the clutch start cancel in 1st gear. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here but wehn I try to fire her up in 1st, the engine goes "wooaaa woooaa woaaa"---it surges a little but goes nowhere.

Or am I misunderstanding what you said?

Bob
Like the other posts said, make sure the parking brake is off, and no feet on the pedals. You might want to get your foot over the gas pedal to give it gas if you need to. If I am pointed up a steep hill, I know I will need to gas it right after it starts, otherwise it will die. Also, are you doing this when the engine is warmed and won't try to go to high idle? I once tried to start my truck with it in gear when cold, but that was a no go. Try it in low range first gear, and see if that gets you rolling. Using the Clutch Start Cancel switch to get rolling is not something for everyday driving though. One reason for this is because both your hands are off the steering wheel; one to push the CSC button and the other to turn the key. So you kinda have to have the wheels pointing the right direction and/or be quick about getting your hand on the steering wheel. One other thing is, that this feature works the best when starting uphill. On level ground, the driveline might "kick back" a bit when the initial surge of power is applied. This might be what you are experiencing. When starting uphill, gravity usually cancels out the back and forth "kick" of the driveline by providing an even force to drive against.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I use to use it in my '90 truck I had with a stick when off roading.

It also comes in handy if you do your own oil changes and fire up the engine after you put the oil in and the cap on the valve cover.

This way you don't have to get into the rig with dirty clothes.
Just reach in the window and push the clutch start cancel button, then turn your key.

Of course makes sure it's in neatrul first.
I use to always idle my engine for 5 minutes after doing my own oil to check for leaks this way.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once used mine when I was sort of stuck. My rear wheels were just spinning when I tried to move in 1st and second just didn't do it either and I was to lazy to get out into the muck to turn the hubs. So I just left it in 1st and hit the button and turned the key, the truck jumped forward inch by inch until I was able to keep going.
Just another way it can be used.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:29 PM

rpe and Glenn,

Thanks for the great advice...now I'm gonna have to try it out on a hill after work!

Bob
Old 05-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Glenn
One reason for this is because both your hands are off the steering wheel; one to push the CSC button and the other to turn the key. So you kinda have to have the wheels pointing the right direction and/or be quick about getting your hand on the steering wheel.
Hmm? Not sure what year your Runner is, but on my 97 that isn't true. Turn the key "on" to turn on the electrical system. Push and let go of the clutch start button - it will light up and remain active, leaving your hands free for whatever strikes your fancy...
Old 05-19-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by denverbikeguy
Hmm? Not sure what year your Runner is, but on my 97 that isn't true. Turn the key "on" to turn on the electrical system. Push and let go of the clutch start button - it will light up and remain active, leaving your hands free for whatever strikes your fancy...
Ditto...

In first gear 4-Lo your starter can pull your truck through quite a bit. I think I have used it twice (on other people's yotas) when the truck stalled in the middle of a mud hole and would not start again to get the truck out of the hole so we could fix it...
Old 05-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

looks like everything is cleared up now on how it works, its definately made to start in gear and you can still keep a hand on the wheel. toyota designed the clutch start cancel with off-roading in mind, for situations where any movement in the wrong direction (since you can use it in either 1st or reverse) to allow for the clutch to engage could be detrimental to you and or your rig, with the cancel, even if the rig dies, it lurches only the direction you want it to.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:13 PM

i didn't realize you could start it in gear with this... never really tried but i figured it would probably be bad..... guess i was wrong. cool
Old 05-19-2003, 09:46 PM

Ok ya'll thanks again, I tried it out today, pretty pimp. Gonna have to remember that for when im in a bad situation.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:31 AM

Whoa, new to me. I've always used it when the truck is in nuetral when I don't want to get into the truck. Didn't know it was safe to start in gear like that. I've done it before on accident in other cars only to get a nice jerkin'. I'll have to try this sometime. So this is a safe way to pull out of a parking spot on a hill when someone is very close to your rear bumper?
Old 05-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, but just remember on a steep hill, you may not have enough "power" from the starter to get you going (unless you are in 4LO).

When faced with a bumper rider, use your e-brake until you start slowly moving, then release it. You know, the age-old trick.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Well that, or use the ebrake to hold you in place, and slowly feather out the clutch - as it starts to grab, simultaneously slowly let out the ebrake with your right hand. Practice it a couple times and you will be able to move forward without rolling back at all.

Of course my super secret ninja skills let me just go forward normally on a hill without losing more than a couple inches backwards (hint - be very fast with the gas and very smooth with the clutch), but I wouldn't learn this technique when you need it the most.

I didn't even think about using it when offroading until reading this thread (I guess I've never been stuck enough to warrant it) but that's a great trick I will have to keep in mind!

Who knows, maybe I will get a chance to use it after I get the M/T's put on.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:21 AM
Banned

Its really cool to watch somone start like that if they have a crawler t-case and its in super silly low range.

Regarding not rolling back when starting uphill, I use the right foot on both the brake and gas pedals to get revs up while the main brake holds the truck in place, then slowly release clutch and brake together. I do it both on and off road and I do not roll backwards even 1 inch. Someday i'll get a hand throttle but for now I do not need one.

My e-brake is a joke. It won't hold it still on any incline at all, especially if the rear is on loose gravel.

Last edited by jx94148; 07-25-2003 at 02:24 AM.

Quick Reply: What does the Clutch Start Cancel button do?