Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

what did i do?

Old 11-04-2003, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what did i do?

Hey guys. Yesterday i got my stereo stolen , so i decided i'll just take the sony head unit out of my IROC. I searched the boards for info and found all the color coding for the wires i needed. Got everything running, but i'm wondering why i have left over wires. There was a green one and brown one left over. I chose (G)reen for (G)round. Oh, and what bothers me the most is my parking lights no longer work, yet i can signal, and my brake lights show. It was dark, but i'm sure the fuses checked out fine. You guys got any ideas? Are the parking lights somehow linked to all those wires comin off the radio harness?
BTW, i drive a 1993 22re 2wd truck. Help me out please.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:53 PM

Yes, there's a wire in there for the dash lights which are linked to the parking lights. Can't tell you what color it is though, you need a service manual for your year. You could also check with a voltmeter, disconnect everything and then check each wire with the light switch on and off to find it.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:57 PM

Thank you Shane, i was just thinking that. I'm sure i should have used the brown wire for the ground. Not the green one. Thanks again
Old 11-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah it sounds like you grounded your system. I'm not sure on your vehicle, but with most there is an orange wire that has a mate on the wire harness, however, you should not connect these two wires, because it gronds out the system. Check your connections again and make sure everythig is connected correctly.
Also re-check your fuses, if lights are not coming on then you most likely have a fuse blown somewhere. Believe me I used to work at an audio store and we saw these kinda messes all the time, usually much worse however.

Last edited by Jonathan; 11-05-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:17 AM

I did the same thing installing my system. Except i crossed two wires and my parking lights, interior lights, and brake lights would not turn off.. You sure you hooked everything up correctly with the right wire colors? If you think something could be wrong i can dig through my favorites for a site i found that has tons of the wire color listings for different year and model cars.. Had my 87 so i'm pretty sure it has yours.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:34 AM

Hey 22R, yes please. Right now i'm looking at my truck and i can't figure out what's going on. I checked all the fuses (the ones under the hood near the battery) and all of them appeared to be ok. My dash lights are not working and my front and rear parking lights are not working either. My Brake lights, headlamps, and turnsignals all function properly. I did find a burnt out bulb, but one bulb will not cause the aformentioned lighting to not work, right? Any help is truly appreciated. Ugh, thiefs... i wish they'd do a better job of stealing and remove the harness from the deck, instead of hacking it off. My next step is to undo everything i did yesterday. Start back at square one. I'm still puzzled by this green wire. More details in a bit. i'm gonna stare at all the wiring.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

could this possibly help you?

http://home.houston.rr.com/keisur/Toyota-Wiring.pdf
Old 11-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Did you check the "dome" fuse? I believe there is a fuse designated to the dome lights inside the engine bay of the vehicle, and this is the one most commonly blown out, especially by what you are describing. We had a case exactly like this when I was working for the audio store on 96 runner, and he kept blowing the fuse for his dome lights everytime he turned them on, and the exact same lights were going out as you described. I would say pull it all back apart, get a manual, and start over, before something bad happens to your electrical system.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:55 AM
CTB

Originally posted by truck/love++
Hey 22R, yes please. Right now i'm looking at my truck and i can't figure out what's going on. I checked all the fuses (the ones under the hood near the battery) and all of them appeared to be ok. My dash lights are not working and my front and rear parking lights are not working either. My Brake lights, headlamps, and turnsignals all function properly. I did find a burnt out bulb, but one bulb will not cause the aformentioned lighting to not work, right? Any help is truly appreciated. Ugh, thiefs... i wish they'd do a better job of stealing and remove the harness from the deck, instead of hacking it off. My next step is to undo everything i did yesterday. Start back at square one. I'm still puzzled by this green wire. More details in a bit. i'm gonna stare at all the wiring.
Try checking the fuses under your driver's side kick panel...there are a bunch there.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

did you check the cartridge fuses under the hood? namely the one marker AM2?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:40 PM

Thank you everyone who posted on this thread. It turns out i checked the tail light fuse too fast and thought it was all good. I checked again and it was blown. Thanks everyone. I wanted to eventually join this board, but not because i had a truck problem. Oh well, guess my truck wanted to be part of the yotatech community . Hi i'm Chris, everyone.

Search this Thread