95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wasted an MT/R on the highway yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasted an MT/R on the highway yesterday

Sorry for the long post...
The MT/R's originally were my tires, but I sold them along with my steel rims to my cousin. So it's kind of a crappy situation.
Here's what happened:
We went away with some friends for the weekend and he planned to drive his Montero. Friday night he told me that one of the MT/R's was losing air. I checked it out and found that there were no nails or punctures in it. So I filled it back up and I noticed the valve stem was torn where it goes into the rim. This sucked because we wanted to leave for the weekend early the next day. So, Saturday morning we loaded the truck with camping gear and went to the tire shop where I bought the tire. We waited almost an hour but they replaced the valve stem for free. Great. My cousin was happy and I didn't feel like an a-hole for selling them to him. On the way home from Massachusetts yesterday, another tire loses air except it goes flat. But for some reason my cousin didn't notice that he had a flat. Don't ask me how. We were going about 70 75ish mph on the highway and some guy passed by on the left pointing and yelling at the rear driverside tire. I thought I felt the rear end of the truck get a little squirrelly just before that, but it's hard to tell when you aren't driving. We pulled over on I-84 in Hartford, I hopped out and found the driver side tire was completely flat. Not only was it flat, it was smoking and sounded like bacon sizzling on a skillet. I immediatley reached for the valve stem and sure enough, another bad one. I don't know if these valve stems are defective or the wrong size or what, but I'm not happy that I was risking my life on the side of the highway changing a tire on labor day. I think this tire shop should be responsible for replacing the tire but I know the owner is not going to step up and take the hit.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:54 AM
lee
Contributing Member

sorry to go off topic here, but where in MA did you go?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
sorry to go off topic here, but where in MA did you go?
We went to Greenfield to some hippie festival. I've never been to one and those really aren't my thing. But, out of having nothing better to do for the holiday weekend, it was ok. At least the weather was good. Let's just say I won't need to go to another one for a LONG, LONG, LONG time.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

I would take that tire to the tire shop and blame them for screwing up your valvestems. Raise hell until you get a new tire out of the deal. After all, you've already got a "history" of a bad valvestem. That sucks.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
I would take that tire to the tire shop and blame them for screwing up your valvestems. Raise hell until you get a new tire out of the deal. After all, you've already got a "history" of a bad valvestem. That sucks.
I agree. Make them pay for it!!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
I agree. Make them pay for it!!
I went to the tire shop this morning and argued with the owner. Just as I thought, he won't budge. He said he can't do anything since the flat was driven on. I told him there was no where to pull over and the only reason the tire went flat was because of his valve stems. He didn't have an answer other than offering free labor on replacing the rest of the valve stems and mounting a new tire. I've done a lot of business through this guy over the years. Apparently that's not good enough. He can't even look you in the eye when he talks to you. I'm done with that place.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:40 AM
lee
Contributing Member

wow what a rip.

im so glad i have a guy i trust who will always help you out and does things for free here and there.

if i have any problems i bring it in to him and he'll tell me straight out what to do, and how to do it so i can do it myself. if he thinks he should do it, he always gives me a good deal.

a few years ago we had an accident in one of our cars and he searched far and wide for cheaper parts, used parts, etc and ended up doing the job for about 1/3 the cost of insurance estimates.