Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

want so badly to get my lift on!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want so badly to get my lift on!

So a week or two ago i bought my 3" Toytec lift. I planned on getting it installed in a local shop to make things simple and professional. I brought my runner down for a quote and turns out they were going to charge me $600. I dont know the exact price i was looking for but i wasnt going to pay that.

Is this something i could install on the weekend in my spare time with a decent set of tools, or is it something i should have done at another shop?

i know how the lift works and ive seen how to install it but im just not sure im up to it.

thanks for takin a look guys

-matt
Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't done one, but I myself are in the same boat at you are. I've done a lot of searching on how to do it (mostly the STEPS on how to do it). I would hate to do step "3" before step "2" and make it harder then what it should be. The only thing that would hold me back from doing it myself is if I get half way through it and find I can't get a nut off due to rust or damage or something like that. I would suggest at least one friend, good set of tools (breaker bars) and a lot of Kroil or other good spray to help getting the nuts loose. One site I've read several times is this:

http://www.4x4wire.com/index.php?opt...sion&Itemid=53

I may be wrong, but the only thing I question on that page is under the Rear section, it says:

"Next, jack the truck up under the axle, supported it on jack stands"

I think he ment (and looking at the pics) put them on the frame in front of the rear axle, because if you put them under the axle you wouldn't be able to

"put your jack under one side of the axle and jack it up as high as it can go. This will allow you to remove the opposite side coil spring without having to compress the springs. "

I hope this helps. I know a lot of guys have done them on here so you should be able to get tons of tips.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 PM

you well need a spring compressor tools for the fronts.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 AM

A spring compressor will help for front and rear and you can rent them from AZ. I don't think your taking the fronts apart though unless you have to in order to get longer studs in but I can't remember off hand. It's not bad really, you could do it if you've done any other type of mechanical work on your vehicle before. Important note, for the fronts be sure you line your top plate studs in the same location or as close to the same location before you let the spring tension off (if you have to disassemble) b/c aligning the bottom bolt and then the top 3 studs is a bear if you don't get it close. OME struts rock b/c the lower spring cup isn't welded in place and you can easily twist the setup to align properly. I'm sure that was thoroughly confusing!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can do it yourself. The hardest part is going to be installing the springs up front.

The rear is pretty easy, once you get the old shocks out, if your replacing them. Sawzaw is your friend if your getting new rear shocks.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just do a lot of reading and ask specific questions.

I've probably redone my suspension at least 5 times, and have done my friends Tacoma, another 4runner and an FJ80, even an F150.

For the rear, you'll be able to drop the axle far enough (provided you removed the sway bar links and removed the shocks) that you'll be able to pull out the springs. Putting the new ones in will just require someone (or just you) to sit on the axle at the drum to extend it another 1-2" and you'll be able to slide in the new ones. Rear should be done first to get your feet wet.

Not to say the front is hard by any means. In this situation, your best bet is to pull out your current "struts" (coil and shock assembly) and your new parts, and take it to a shop!! They should charge you anywhere from $40-$100. (high and low right there obviously) to assemble your new, lifted struts. You'll get them back in a package that you'll just be able to slide back in. Note: The middle bolt on top should not be touched by you, unless you plan on taking them apart and buying a spring compressor.

The fronts are just as simple usually. Just remove the 3 top nuts, and the bottom bolt. The trick with these are to use your bottle jack, up-side-down inbetween the upper a-arm at the ball joint, and wedged inbetween the top of the inner wheel well. You'll be able open up (lengthen) the bottle jack to push down your a-arm (and also your lower a-arm and spindle assembly) to accept the now longer strut.

You'll definetly be better off to shoot some PB blaster on all the bolts for the next few days prior to disassembly. Get a set of metric sockets (I think the largest one, which is the bottom bolt of the front struts is 19mm?) a breaker bar, and maybe a six pack of beer and your best friend.

Last edited by BajaRunner; 03-24-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM

As everyone has said, the rear is pretty straight forward. I'd highly suggest taking the fronts to a shop that uses a pro spring compressor.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM

If you have the proper tools and time, do it yourself...I just installed my lift this past weekend. I really think the rear was harder to install because my LC coils where so long! The front I took in because it's just way easier and it was only $45ish to have them installed...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM

I took my fronts in too. I had rented a coil compressor but i couldn't get my top bolts off the studs. $80 for my mechanic to pull the struts apart and put em back together with the new parts in. I think everything you need to know has allready been mentioned on this thread as far as tips go. It was very rewarding to do myself.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 PM

great information guys! exactly what i was looking for. and yes the spring compressor is the one problem i couldnt get past when planning on doing it myself. ok so im thinking ill do the rear myself and have the front done at a shop. this is great info super helpful!

so only $45 to do front suspension? that takes off some stress anyone else have something to add?

thanks a bunch

-matt
Old 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM

haha and SC4Runner i hear u on the brew!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 PM

anyone have an educated guess on how much it would be if i did the rear on my own but then jus drove the car to a mechanic and had them do the whole front? thanks again

matt
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 PM

If you remove the front shocks & take them in to a shop, should be about $50 to $75. If you take the truck to a shop, It should run $100 to $150 for them to do the front.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 AM

its also easir to lift the front of the vehicle and put it on stands and then remove the 4 bolts holding the lower controle arm on and the take out ur front struts and then when u go to reassemble jus jack up the lower controle arm and bolt it back together and ur done that a way u wont have to worry bout the bottle jack up in ur fender well aand the best thing to do is to rent 2 sets of spring compressors if you dont own any and use them on the rear when u jack up the vehicle put them on then and then remove ur rear shocks and ur panhard bar and support the truck from the fram with jacks and drop the axel and then they will jus fall out no need to push donw or sit down on them then take the compressors off and put them on the lift springs for the truck and put it all back together
Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One simple bit of of advice is to not do this alone, but with a friend...goes 3x (not 2x!) as fast and much easier/safer.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 AM

I'm not sure what your toytec lift consists of but I did go the route of the local 4x4 shop. I had OME shocks and coils all around and costed me about $200. Recently, while in for an alignment, I had asked a smaller shop and they would have charged me about $120 to do a swap. These guys also do regular suspensions but I'm sure they are knowledgeable enough to do lifts since the owner owns a lifted truck. I later on added a lift spacer that I remember paid about $150. These are just some numbers for you guys. I don't have decent tools to use so I went this route.

Last edited by superduper; 03-25-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 PM

I just did my 3 inch ome and i ended up taking the fronts to a shop to swap springs.50bucks.The spring compressor from az was about to snap with my 99 coils. Brought it home and had it all together in about 4 hours with the diff drop also.I defenitely suggest getting a friend to help.Thought i was doing good until the 285's with a stock rim and no spacer=no worky.Now the search is on for some new wheels....
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM

i will definantly do it with an extra set of hands and probably take it in for the front shocks. my toytec lift consists of OME coils and then coil spacers. One other question is a diff drop a good idea for me to buy? i didnt get it with my kit and i hear alot about it. thanks for all this info its great!
matt
Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 PM

Definetly get the dif drop it will save some wear on the cv joints.I got mine for 20 bucks from fat bobs garage.com
Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM

okay just checked that out looks like a good price. Any known problems i might run into while installing the rear suspension??

Quick Reply: want so badly to get my lift on!