Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC/Trac disable

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC/Trac disable

I just bought a 2002 T4R sport, and I'm a little concerned that you can't defeat the VSC/Trac control. I know that the VSC is disabled with the center diff. locked but is there any way to disable the trac? I've read on another forum that you can disable both by adding a switch to a certain ground wire but you can't re-enable the system without restarting the 4runner. Basically I'm wondering if anyone knows how to wire the switch so you can control the system without restarting the 4runner. Also, do you think it's necessary to be able to defeat the system for off-roading (the other forum had horror stories about getting stuck because the VSC/Trac. kicked in in the mud) or do people do it just so they screw around in the snow?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 AM

If I could disable mine, I would in some cases. I was getting stuck in the sand (Outer Banks of NC) and the ATRAC/VSC etc stopped power to the wheels at one point.

Last edited by Trail_Banger; 02-29-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Search for the 'andy mod' to disable TRAC, and ABS, but like you said you have to shut the engine off to re-enable everything. I don't know of any way to re-enable the system without restarting the vehicle.
For what it's worth I've wheeled mine for 2 years without disabling it and haven't had any problems.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 AM

If your engine is actually throttling down then that is VSC stopping you, not TRAC. I would love to be able to turn VSC off altogether, but TRAC seems very useful to me. I am by no means hardcore but a few hiking spots require a little off roading, I have found w/ my 02 and TRAC it does not spin the wheels in places my 00 w/ nothing used to. Either way I made it, but the 02 just keeps right on moving where the 00 used to spin a bit. As stated if you need to be able to gas it in sand or mud then the center diff should be locked. There are threads on the TRAC and it seems to work best when you let the system do its thing, meaning keeping the gas at a steady RPM somewhere around 2-2500 and keep it steered in the right direction. If you are constantly on and off the gas the system is not able to figure out the situation you are in and won't work as well.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 AM

I almost spun out yesturday, the VSC/Trac didn't kick in that I know of, I didn't get any beeping or buzzing, just the a$$ end swinging back and forth while I puckered and tried not to hit anything. I eventually got it under control no thanks to the fancy electronics (at least I don't think so). I traded a crew cab pickup for this and never once had a near crash experience with it. Maybe it's because the T4R has a shorter wheel base, or maybe the tires are worse. All I know is the electronics didn't help when I needed them and tick me off when I don't want them.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 AM

I have the exact opposite problem as fasthorse, if I try to push the thing a little coming out of a turn it kicks in and defuels the engine. It kicks in at the drop of a hat and ruins all chances of having a little fun in the snow.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too would love to disable the VSC and on the 3rd gen Avalon forum a guy referenced this as the all-inclusive panacea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMN-WEWM5IE

LMK if it works.

- Peter
Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by fasthorse67
I almost spun out yesturday, the VSC/Trac didn't kick in that I know of, I didn't get any beeping or buzzing, just the a$$ end swinging back and forth while I puckered and tried not to hit anything. I eventually got it under control no thanks to the fancy electronics (at least I don't think so). I traded a crew cab pickup for this and never once had a near crash experience with it. Maybe it's because the T4R has a shorter wheel base, or maybe the tires are worse. All I know is the electronics didn't help when I needed them and tick me off when I don't want them.

I believe the VSC doesn't kick in until your rig reaches 15mph. How fast were you going? Also, the tires are a HUGE factor.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

I like the a-trac, but the VSC is what is ruining your fun. I think its the same system so if you disable one you disable the other.
My a-trac stopped working about a month ago though... No idea why. Now just the annoying VSC works...
I'm just going to disable both and get locked up.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by quik05
I have the exact opposite problem as fasthorse, if I try to push the thing a little coming out of a turn it kicks in and defuels the engine. It kicks in at the drop of a hat and ruins all chances of having a little fun in the snow.
Wait 'til you pull out in front of traffic and it decides to kick in and defuel the engine :. Happened to me just last night!

Driving around town last night, I had only the 4wd button on the shifter depressed. Figured I had not used 4wd in a couple weeks and thought I'd use it now since the weather was getting bad. I pulled into the median to make a left hand turn at a traffic light. A break in traffic presented itself, so I went. However, my systems kicked in and defueled the engine causing me to just creep thru the intersection at 2mph! Felt like time was standing still while traffic was bearing down on me and I couldn't do a thing about it. Talk about alarming.

Fortunately, the oncoming traffic was further off than I had imagined and I managed to get thru the intersection unskaved. As soon as the truck straightened out, the systems turned off and the 4Runner took off. Had the oncoming traffic been any closer to me, I would most likely have been involved in an accident.

To things to note: It was raining, but it had just started. 2nd, I just eased on the gas pedal when I attempted to make the turn. Meaning, I did not feel any wheel spin what so ever.

I'm not sure how sensitive the system is, but it's obviously very sensitive, b/c this is NOT the first time this has happened to me and probably not the last.

I have the switch installed on my 4Runner to deactive TRAC/VSC/ABS (also known as the AndyMod), so I guess I need to start using it more!

Last edited by Rock Slide; 03-04-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ManyMods
I too would love to disable the VSC and on the 3rd gen Avalon forum a guy referenced this as the all-inclusive panacea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMN-WEWM5IE

LMK if it works.

- Peter
Peter, so far, this is the best solution: Andy Mod

Yes, it would be nice to somehow switch the systems back on without having to shut the engine off and then restarting it, but for me, this works just fine. I do not feel it's a hassle at all.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM

OK, spun out again this morning, probably going 15 MPH. Felt the back end start to slide out (in 4 wheel drive) tried to counter steer and add a little throttle to let the front wheels pull it strait. It beeped, chattered, went to idle and proceded to spin into a snow bank. Very low speed so there was really no drama or danger just very frustrating, I feel like the 4runner is saying "You can't be trusted to drive me, so at the slightest sign of tire slipage I'm taking over no matter what." I might actually sell it with the Temp. tags on it. I'm very disappointed, I wish I would have done a little more research and bought a 2000 or 1999.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 AM

Just put 4 new BFG at/ko's on last night, I'll let you know how it does with "the blizzard of the century" we're supposed to get tonight.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 AM

Mine was pretty sensitive on my 2002 model as well. Kind of annoying at times.

However, if you lock the transfer case it shuts off I believe, so if the weather's bad and you don't want to do any mods, just lock it up.

I wired in the switch to disable mine. Sometimes I don't need 4WD, I just need a little wheel spin. Works like a champ and is EASY.

Hit my site for some pics and what not if you're not sure how it's done. Link is in my sig.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM

What is the "more complicated wiring" you speak of in the mod that allows you to turn the systems on and off without restarting the engine?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by fasthorse67
What is the "more complicated wiring" you speak of in the mod that allows you to turn the systems on and off without restarting the engine?
It would involve relays and what not I believe. It was only theorized, and never actually implemented as far as I know. Restarting the car is MUCH simpler. I looked into this for months before deciding to just do it the simple way as I wanted to re-enable it without restarting the car, but it really didn't make enough of a difference to go through the hassle.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 AM

OK, thanks, I guess I'll just do the regular Andymod.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 AM

I no longer have an issue with the vsc/trac. With the new BFG's I was easily driving through 3-4 foot snow drifts, had total control in turns, and even muscled my way into a parking spot that a snow plow had packed 3 feet deep, only had to back up once then drove straight in. Of course I had a problem opening the door but it's great finally figuring out why people love their 4Runners!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:58 PM

anyone hear about the guy on a dirt road pulled out, someone ran a stop sign so he floored it to get out of the way, TRAC kicked in and he got hit.. last i heard he was trying to sue toyota for that but idk what happened
Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

I have not heard of "that guy", but with the exception of being hit, similar situations have happened to the majority of late 3rd gen owners at one time or another...including me. It sucks.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 06-14-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: VSC/Trac disable