Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone in the group work for Toyota? I don't mean a dealership but maybe TRD or their corporate office. There should be a mode that the truck can be put into for chassis dyno testing...... This may require the scan tool though...

my 2 cents......
Old 12-07-2004, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I thought there were a few Toyota techs that frequent this site.

I'm trying to locate Vol. I of the shop manual. I bought Vol. II right after purchasing the truck but it does not have the schematics... Hopefully that will allow the investigation to continue

Andreas
Old 12-07-2004, 08:15 PM

Got my runner back from the shop, but forgot to get the wiring schematic while I was there. I guess I got distracted writing a $400.00 check... I'll try to get it this week. We need to figure this out!

Dozer
Old 12-07-2004, 09:07 PM

How bout This?

Yes I have a 2001... BTW If you need any other diagrams let me know ill see what i can dig up. (this does not mean im MR got the manuals ask me anything... get your own manual lol) im just interested in defeating this too...

A vsc on off switch would rock... I think me and hillbilly have been trying to work on this issue since the begining lol...

Last edited by Ducky; 12-07-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:17 PM

"There is a switch in the Corolla Altis that allows you to manually turn the Traction Control System on or off as you desire. For example, if you were stuck in the mud, it would be better to turn off the TRC switch. This is because VSC is an advanced total control system that adds braking control to the ideal traction control."

BTW... this is VSC for you ppl who don't know what it is...

http://www.toyota.com.my/index.asp?f...article&aid=24

Fookers! Give us a switch frigging aholes lol...
Old 12-08-2004, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
How bout This?

A vsc on off switch would rock... I think me and hillbilly have been trying to work on this issue since the begining lol...
Amen Ducky... definately a frustrating endeavor. I was just about to post some schematic images until I saw your link above.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Ducky,
Thanks for posting that. Looks like the wiring schematics for the space shuttle...

I would love to employ the TRAC OFF switch from the 2WDs and have it kill both TRAC and VSC, but then allow the systems to become fully operational again without re-starting the truck or having to engage in some other re-setting exercises.

Andreas
Old 12-08-2004, 11:33 AM

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the 2wd models to trace back where the TRAC off button leads to?
Old 12-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Simon
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the 2wd models to trace back where the TRAC off button leads to?
Simon,
That's one of the better replies to this post. We all seem to be concentratinbg on the wiring of the 4WDs - but figuring out what the 2WDs do makes quite a bit of sense.

Andreas
Old 12-08-2004, 01:19 PM

Thanks aowRS. I noticed that you were on 4x4 wire also, do you mind posting my question on 4x4 wire also?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks aowRS. I noticed that you were on 4x4 wire also, do you mind posting my question on 4x4 wire also?
Will do.

Andreas
Old 12-08-2004, 07:03 PM

Thanks alot Ducky. I did notice on page 149 of the wiring schem. that there is a TRAC off switch location for the 2wd vehicles! Does this mean anything to you guys that can decipher the diagrams? It's beyond me.

Dozer
Old 12-08-2004, 07:35 PM

The theory sounds good but the TRAC does NOT turn off when in 4 low, center diff locked.

Last edited by Dozer; 12-08-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:38 PM

BTW, that beeping from your moms rig will occour if the center diff is not locked. (Its the ABS overheating as the TRAC tries to keep up, or the Vehicle Skid Control activating). Lock the diff and go test it and you will see what i mean. TRAC is far superior to open diffs in most situations. I would like to be able to shut it down when I need to spin, and while in 2wd. All in all i have been impressed by the TRAC system off road. We should just have the option of whether or not we want it on. They should have at least given us a rear e-locker too. Then I would be content.

Dozer

Last edited by Dozer; 12-08-2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:19 PM

So after a tiny snowstorm here in Denver last week and a lot of traction control use, I noticed that the clicking relay noise seems to come from drivers side fuse panal area. This may or may not be known already. I haven't done any snooping yet, maybe this weekend.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:20 PM

Hmm...
Old 12-28-2004, 07:39 AM

So is that a hmm... like duh, or is that a hmm... like that gives you some ideas?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:19 AM

I found a way this weekend accidentally to turn off the TRAC so I could spin the tires in the snow like crazy. I have 4wd and was able to be in 2wd and go crazy fishtailing like a fool.
Wanna to know how this happened?? Now try and follow cause this was by accident and I actually thought I seriously Fuc$$d something up. I am at the spray wash with the truck running and I powerwash all the salt off. I have a relay in the back for my extra reverse lights to go on when i put her in reverse. I tapped into the passenger side backup bulb wire to power the relay a year or so ago and all is well except the 1st realy corroded and I am on the second cause it gets a little muddy being back by the spare tire underneth the truck. Ok anyway i got water on the realy and with the truck in park, the relay powered the backup lights without the truck actually being in reverse, everyone follow so far? So I get in the truck after II am done rinsing the thing off and noticed the reverse indicater on in the dash, I put it in gear and pull out of the carwash and the truck wont shift out of second.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 AM

Talking

I pull down a down a snow covered and the VSC TRAC lights and check engine lights are all on. at this point I still hadnt figured out that my back up lights were still on cause I had a relay that was still powering my reverse lights kind of backwards. So I pull over pop the hood and the fuseed power lead going back to my backup lights still hasnt popped but was warm to touch( probably cause it was on for about a mile or so). So I take out the fuse to power the relay and walla... no more powering the reverse light cicuit backwards. at this point the check engine VSC TRAC lights are still on but the truck runs normal/ shifts normal and I can spin the tires all I want. So I go out to home depot...still on then to lowes still on. it took 3 on off cycles with the ignition and about 20 miles of driving to get the VSC/TRAC C.E. lights to go off and everything is back to normal.... Sooo it seems if we made a switch to send power to a backup bulb wire backwards, this fools the computer for a while to turn off VSC/TRAC. I would power this for a quick second in park with truck running and not in gear. well guys what do ya think? Like I said this was an accident. sorry for the long post
Old 12-28-2004, 11:47 AM
lee
Contributing Member

So after a tiny snowstorm here in Denver last week and a lot of traction control use, I noticed that the clicking relay noise seems to come from drivers side fuse panal area. This may or may not be known already. I haven't done any snooping yet, maybe this weekend.

after a big snowstorm here, i can tell you that is FOR SURE where i hear it coming from.

i hate that noise sometimes.....

Quick Reply: VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?