Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Verdict On The Airlift Air Bags (air Lift 1000)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Verdict On The Airlift Air Bags (air Lift 1000)

Overall I'm really disappointed in these:

-The price $84 shipped from Amazon. I think price was high considering what you get and quality(pretty much the only name in the game though is airlift--I think the Firestone version might be the exact same product rebadged but I'm not sure.

-Install was really difficult I think. I would recommend having some experience with suspension work before doing this

-Says on the box installs in one hour. This would be true if you had a garage with a lift, and again--experience--"installs in under an hour" is total selling hype I think:

-...how about "intalls in an hour if you own your own shock shop and have installed airlift a hundred times already"

-if you've never put them in I'd say 4-6 hours

-If you DON'T have a high quality jack and stands then take it to a shop--not worth the effort

-after getting them in and driving around a bit I found the ride pretty bouncy and somewhat harsh even at the lower pressure of 10lbs

-I decided against them and pulled them--reass'd the truck.

-Quality is questionable. Just having them on and driving just a few blocks and after pulling them I noticed some chaffing and rub marks

-This may be a product that started out a USA product and since went to China manufacturing???.

-I FOUND THEM OVERALL A WASTE OF TIME AND EFFORT

-I may try air shocks for towing instead

- it didn't say to NOT do this in the manual--I preaired them and let them sit overnight at 30psi each(to check for leakage). One of the bags seemed to balloon out permanently the other did not. The ballooned one was a PITA to get in and out of the coil......More questionable integrity issues I think--since just one bag ballooned

-For those who have airlift and like it I'm not totally bashing it--it's a great idea--maybe I got a lemon kit/maybe all the new kits are lemons...I guess when AIRLIFT is the only name in the game they can build them how they please

Last edited by Tom2000t4r; 11-23-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The company isn't going to waste money and time so that you can know how long it will take you to assemble depending on your skill level. Of course they will have scuff marks, and don't put any pressure in them, they are for TOWING of course they'll f up the ride with no load, that's not the purpose.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

As was said, they are for towing ONLY. If you ride with them in without a trailer then of course your rise will be bad.

It is to keep a trailer from crsuhing your coils. Not to adjust your ride height or anything like that.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Thats odd, I installed the Firestone air bags in my FJ80 rear coils, a few moths ago. You just need to compress the spring and pull it out, I did mine in about 2 hours. I found the FJ80 coils to be a bit on the soft side for street driving, you really get body lean on corners, after adding the airbags the ride is perfect now, just a bit stiffer and adjustable, and when fully loaded with camping gear it makes a huge difference in hwy handling. I had to reinstall the inner cone bumpstop and trim off one or two of the sections so the bags would make contact inside the longer springs. The downfall is that I have another 1/2" of lift in the rear, so I have quite the rake, but the ride is awsome!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Timbrens??