Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

(unintentional) Disco tail light mod (help.. no really, help)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(unintentional) Disco tail light mod (help.. no really, help)

Sold my old girl, 96 tacoma with a fair bit of work in her. Bought an 01 double cab so I could fit people in the back before the mods get any more involved/ expensive. Swapped a few upgrades/ mods over, including clear turn signal tail lights (w/ LED break and reverse bulbs).

I was driving yesterday and found out that if you put the left blinker on, the transmission starts jerking/ slipping. If you put the hazards on it (sometimes) goes into neutral completely.

There is one extra wire in the plug on the OEM lights that just bridges two of the "prongs" in the plug (on the light itself). This wire didn't exist in my original OEM lights for the old truck and isn't on my aftermarket ones. Tried swapping it over to the new tail lights, no luck.

Then I tried the right tail light, no running lights, reverse and turn work fine.

Then I swapped the wire back to the OEM setup and put the original light back in. Here's where it gets fun. Sometimes all three (running, reverse, blinker) will come on solid, sometimes the brake light will flash in time with the blinker and sometimes (personal favorite) the reverse and brake alternate (one on, other off, then switch) like EMS lights. Once all three even worked fine with the aftermarket lights until I swapped back to OEMs to see if the problem was actually gone. After this, back to disco mode.

I've tried pulling all the fuses, every combination of lights I can come up with, all checked all the bulbs, checked the wires to make sure nothing was mashed and shorting.

Any ideas? I'd just assume not get arrested for being a bipolar police impersonator who only occasionally brakes while he slows down and sometimes can't accelerate except for in 1 second intervals.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Your lights worked fine before you swapped things ??

During the course of your adventures has your MIL tripped and have you read the codes??

switching back to stock it seems like your not getting a good ground although impossible to tell without being in person

Feeding back into the ECM and the ECT module some how .

You seem to have quite a mess .

Break out the Meter and do some trouble shooting
Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 AM

VEE HAF OUTSMOTTTED ZEE ZHAPANESE!

Apparently there is an extra wire that bridges two "prongs" on the left light and an extra wire on the right that bridges two different "prongs." Swapped em in and everything works fine now. Still somewhat baffling but at least its sorted out.

No MIL codes but you could actually hear a clicking in the tranny when the blinker clicked on and off. Took me a good bit to figure. Only with both wires installed the way they are on the new truck did it work. It won't let me upload pictures right now but the upgrade is worth it in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM

Good you got this fixed. Total shot in the dark, truck wired with trailer package?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:03 AM

Nope, no trailer wiring. Odd thing is that both wire "bridges" were hot wires. Neither one should've effected ground at all.