Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra Brake Upgrade Rattle Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra Brake Upgrade Rattle Fix

Hello All,
I know everyone is tired of hearing about the Tundra Brake Upgrade, but I thought I should hare how to fix the clank and rattle that comes with the Tundra 13wl calipers. Many Tundra owners complain about this…at least as long as it takes to get enough dirt and rust in there to stop the rattle!

This rattle happens when you drive over a pothole, washboard etc. or just simply backing up and hitting the brakes. It happens not because the pads “slap” the rotor, but because the shoes slide up in the caliper and clank against the top. The spring Toyota provides is not strong enough to stop this from happening and they haven’t come up with a fix…but for those finicky like me here is how you fix it. (a trick from my grade 11 mechanics teacher from years and years ago)

You need to get Permatex stop squeal goop. It’s not grease but a kind of high temp rubber glue. It bonds the caliper pistons to the shoe stopping vibration and preventing them from sliding around in there and clanking.

!!!! IMPORTANT DO NOT HIT THE BRAKES IN REVERSE IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALL!!!!

Step 1: Remove Brakes Shoes
Step 2: Push pistons back with C-clamp to allow space for shim and Permatex goop.
Step 3: Keep slotted shim…toss the shiny non-slotted one away! See the pic I don’t use it in the install. All the shiny smooth shim does is helps the brake shoes slide around and clank.
Step 4: Put a layer of Permatex on the back of the brake shoes and place the slotted shim on top squishing the Permatex out of the slots.
Step 5: Smear the Permatex along the pad into a 2 mm thick layer (about) and let dry for 10 minutes.
Step 6: Slides the pads back in being very careful to keep the pad against the rotor giving more clearance to the other side so the Permatex side can slide in. The Permatex will get scraped here, but it’s ok as long as you get the majority of it in there.
Step 7: Install the spring and the rest of the hardware then step on the brakes a couple time to squish the Permatex and form it around the caliper pistons.
Step 8: Put the wheels back on and allow 30 minutes to cure.
Step 9: Drive the truck forward only apply the brakes evenly (if you have to go in reverse use the E-brake). The heat from braking will cure the Permatex. Try not to hit the brakes in reverse for a whole day. The next day you’ll notice no more clanking or rattle ..including when you back up!
See the picks below…Plus the Blue Permatex will match your spidertrax spacers if ya got'em!
Attached Thumbnails Tundra Brake Upgrade Rattle Fix-imgp8065-large-.jpg   Tundra Brake Upgrade Rattle Fix-imgp8066-large-.jpg   Tundra Brake Upgrade Rattle Fix-imgp8068-large-.jpg