Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trying to Mount winch by saterday (need help!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTdawgs
Gadget and sdastg1 -

Where did you mount your solenoid and how? i need to re-do mine.

Mine is on the bumper above the winch. I just put it there temporarily and intend to move it into the engine compartment somwhere. I think I am going to attach it to the side of the battery, someday...

Gadget
Old 03-14-2004, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

This is how I did my battery, just rebend the stock bracket.....

Old 03-14-2004, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
This is how I did my battery, just rebend the stock bracket.....

BruceTS-
Do the cables still reach the terminals .. mainly the positive one? From what I have read, that you have to somehow extend it. Also I need to push the battery as close as to the quarter panel as I can get it, b/c I want to mount an compressor right next to the battery.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

ok I got the battery on there, and I extended the positive battery cable via the copper metal pipe. Pics will be up soon, I'm just hungry right now.

I didn't have to bend the stock bracket to get it to work. But the battery is not secure from shifting left-right. Am I making sense? So how do I secure that?
Old 03-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
BruceTS-
Do the cables still reach the terminals .. mainly the positive one? From what I have read, that you have to somehow extend it. Also I need to push the battery as close as to the quarter panel as I can get it, b/c I want to mount an compressor right next to the battery.

I didn't have to bend the stock bracket to get it to work. But the battery is not secure from shifting left-right. Am I making sense? So how do I secure that?
By rebending the bracket it'll hold it from moving at all, after re-routing the white wire from the fuse block there was plenty of cable to the positive terminal. I had to lengthen the 1 ground wire, which you can see in the picture. If you want to push it closer to the quarter panel, you'll need to re-route the positive cable by loosening up the lead that goes around the bottom of the engine.

A better place for your compressor is in front of the radiator, between the grill, plenty of room there.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

ok trying to finish this up by today/tomorrow. I have the winch mounted to the bumper. The three wires (yel, gr, bl) I;ve attached to their respective terminals.

1) Where does the motor ground wire attach? I know I have to ground it somewhere on the bumper. But how exactly?

2) Those of you that used zip ties? Did you just zip tie the box to the winch?
How secure does this need to be?

3) Those that have yellow optimas, what type of terminal do I need to purchase to use the second set of battery attachments? I checked advanced, but I didn't see anything really.

thanks,
Old 04-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Winch

ok trying to finish this up by today/tomorrow. I have the winch mounted to the bumper. The three wires (yel, gr, bl) I;ve attached to their respective terminals.

1) Where does the motor ground wire attach? I know I have to ground it somewhere on the bumper. But how exactly?

2) Those of you that used zip ties? Did you just zip tie the box to the winch?
How secure does this need to be?

3) Those that have yellow optimas, what type of terminal do I need to purchase to use the second set of battery attachments? I checked advanced, but I didn't see anything really.

thanks,
1) Just find a bolt that you can access and scrape down to the metal underneath, and ground it there.

2) My winch box is mounted with bolts to the bumper on top of the bumper in between my lights. If you use zip ties, I'd make sure it is REAL secure.

3) No idea.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
1) Just find a bolt that you can access and scrape down to the metal underneath, and ground it there.

2) My winch box is mounted with bolts to the bumper on top of the bumper in between my lights. If you use zip ties, I'd make sure it is REAL secure.
thanks Brian, I'll go look for a bolt. I don't really want to drill a hole in the bumper for this. One day I will relocate the thing inside the engine bay but for now its going to be zip tied.

k going to Home depot for zip ties .. its funny how the guys there know me now.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking If it'll help...

If it'll help, I can look for where mine is grounded and see if I can get a pic, but as long as you get a bolt on the bumper somewhere and get the connection to bare metal, you should be just fine and dandy.

The days are getting closer...TELLICO!

I just bought a huge thing of zip ties for like $10 one time long ago that has about a bazillion different colors and lengths of zip ties in it and I haven't even put a dent in it and I've used literally hundreds of them suckers...

Old 04-16-2004, 02:44 PM

I attatched the little wire to the same spot as the black (-) cable on the winch motor and it seems to be running fine.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by guinness
I attatched the little wire to the same spot as the black (-) cable on the winch motor and it seems to be running fine.

I'm not following you .....
Old 04-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

ok its zip tied down. Pretty secure, I don't think its going anywhere. Ok I attach the synthetic rope via that one little screw (had to buy a new one to fit the adatper on the end of the new rope) to the winch. then feed it through the hole in the TJM. Then mount the TJM, and find a spot to attach the small black wire. Then run the + and - long wires to the battery terminal. Then tie the end of the rope around a telephone pole and pull the truck in. Thats it right?

don't worry I used the locrite stuff when bolting the winch on and I will use it for the little screw that holds the rope.

and this project should be done!!
Old 04-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

ok its zip tied down. Pretty secure, I don't think its going anywhere. Ok I attach the synthetic rope via that one little screw (had to buy a new one to fit the adatper on the end of the new rope) to the winch. then feed it through the hole in the TJM. Then mount the TJM, and find a spot to attach the small black wire. Then run the + and - long wires to the battery terminal. Then tie the end of the rope around a telephone pole and pull the truck in. Thats it right?

don't worry I used the locrite stuff when bolting the winch on and I will use it for the little screw that holds the rope.

and this project should be done!!
Make sure you have at least 5 or 6 wraps of cable around the drum before you try to pull anything, the bolt that holds the cable to the drum is not designed to ta take any load. You probably knew that I just didn't see you mention it.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:31 PM

Dont forget to pre-stretch your cable before you use it too...

For gods sake make sure you exhaust all options before using your winch, I hope you RTFM... and did you get your "silver handle" in the right spot?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by partszar
Make sure you have at least 5 or 6 wraps of cable around the drum before you try to pull anything, the bolt that holds the cable to the drum is not designed to ta take any load. You probably knew that I just didn't see you mention it.

you assume too much my friend. ok so I wrap it around the drum 5-6 times and then strap the other end and put load on it. thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 04:41 PM

sdastg1
Im talking about the wire (small black one) that runs from the solenoid pack. I ended up attatching it to the winch motor @ the same place I attatched the big black wire. The warn instuctions seemed to indicate this was ok
Old 04-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
Dont forget to pre-stretch your cable before you use it too...

For gods sake make sure you exhaust all options before using your winch, I hope you RTFM... and did you get your "silver handle" in the right spot?
All this new terminology.
How do I pre-stretch the cable?
What is RTFM?

and as far as the silver handle I was about to turn it and then decided not too. I stuck my hand in through the top of the TJM and was able to turn the handle. So I decided to leave it where it is. If I later find out differently, then I'll kick myself in the ass and pull it all down and turn it.

The damn thing is too heavy for me to lift and bolt at the same time. But mainly I don't trust myself, so I'm going to get a friend and bolt it on in the morning.

Last edited by sdastg1; 04-16-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

RTFM= read the f***ing manual
Old 04-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by partszar
RTFM= read the f***ing manual

<-- feels like an ass now.

Yeah I read through it, but there wasn't much on how to install it. Mostly on how to use it.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:08 PM

I felt the same way, so I followed the manual as best I could and it all worked out. I even extended the solenoid box to the engine compartment w/ extended battery cables that worked so I say folloenthe book and good luck. :wtf:

Quick Reply: Trying to Mount winch by saterday (need help!!)