Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Toyota Truck, 4Runner, Tundra Balljoint Failures

Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy hell...seriously...why is the recall only for certain newer model Tundra/4Runners? IMO, this is a much more serious safety issue than the unintentional acceleration issue that has always been on the news.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by nobb
Holy hell...seriously...why is the recall only for certain newer model Tundra/4Runners? IMO, this is a much more serious safety issue than the unintentional acceleration issue that has always been on the news.
Engineering blunder!!! This is not supposed to happen on a front suspension...the engineers carried over the first gen IFS balljoint locations to the Second gens but totally missed the load stresses on the lower joint. They made it worst by attaching the steering to the lower joint too stressing the 4 Tiny support bolts and dowels. They totally redesigned the IFS latest models.

Last edited by milowilli; 01-31-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 AM

Name:  572772298093d4b28a2461f00e140be1.jpg
Views: 7660
Size:  65.5 KB
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened recently?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by KZN185W
This happened recently?
Not sure..somebody posted on line.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 AM

Recall

Guys this is a well known issue. Toyota issued a recall for this exact reason...I bet all those 4runners didn't bring their vehicle in for the recall.

Recall Date:
MAY 17, 2005

Model Affected:
2001 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, DUE TO A MANUFACTURING ISSUE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE SURFACE OF THE BALL OF THE JOINT MAY HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED. THE BALL JOINT MAY EVENTUALLY EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE WEAR AND LOOSENESS, RESULTING IN INCREASED STEERING EFFORT.

Consequence:
THE LOWER BALL JOINT MAY SEPARATE FROM THE KNUCKLE CAUSING LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 5, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. 50J

Read more: 2001 Toyota 4Runner Recalls, Notices & Car Safety Reports - Motor Trend Magazine

Here's some more links about it

LOWER BALL JOINT FAILURE

Don't get too freaked out, this is also a fairly uncommon problem. It is mostly an issue of failure to maintain, or if someone disregarded the Recall. In 2005, Toyota recalled over 3/4 of a million 3rd gen 4Runners for this exact issue. The issue is that the Lower ball joint, which holds the spindle and control arms together, can rupture while driving. This will cause the wheel to fall off, break the CV axle on that side, and cause total loss of control which can lead to an accident. The lower ball joint can wear faster than normal on trucks that are lifted, have an aftermarket bumper, and larger tires. This issue will become a concern if the vehicle was called for recall and never brought in, or if the Ball Joints have a very large number of miles on them.

Red Flags:
Stuff like this is the reason you want to test drive. There is only a few ways to know about this potential hazard. If there is any front end noise, rough feeling when steering then that is a sign of trouble ahead. You can lift up the truck and check for excessive play in the front hub. A visual check is also a good way, look for old and worn out material, leaking grease, etc. Just do a quick forum search of 'lower ball joint' and you will find all kinds of stuff.

Instructions to check for excessive ball joint play:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...a/flbj/ovi.pdf

Fixes/ How to Avoid:
It's simple really, just swap them before something bad happens. Only advice I can give is to only use OEM parts, there are so many horror stories about people using cheap aftermarket brands like Moog. A few members have also figured out that the OEM Tacoma LBJ from the same years are stronger than the 4runner LBJ, link below.
As stated earlier, there was a large-scale recall on this issue, mostly on the '99-'02 years. Stop by your dealer with your VIN and see if your vehicle is still pending the recall.

To check the Toyota maintenance records on your 4runner, register the VIN on Toyota Owners' website:
http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home

Resource threads:
Tacoma Ball Joints
You should replace your ball joints...
Ball Joint Failure - My Turn

Recall information:
2001 Lower Ball Joint Recall
Motor Trend- 2001 4Runner Recall

Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Scary... had'nt heard about that recall... guys call toyota and check the status of your vehicles on recalls it takes no time at all and they can tell you if any are outstanding and on any that were done when they were accomplished. They will also register you as the owner of the vehicle and you will get notified of any future recall/maintenance issues.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Scary... had'nt heard about that recall... guys call toyota and check the status of your vehicles on recalls it takes no time at all and they can tell you if any are outstanding and on any that were done when they were accomplished. They will also register you as the owner of the vehicle and you will get notified of any future recall/maintenance issues.
It's still a stupid silly design!! Pull apart non Failsafe design.. Front suspension not supposed to fail like this. This problem is only common to these Gen trucks..first gen IFS trucks can be driven until there is slop in the balljoints without failure. Toyota screwed up big time!!! The finally fixed it in the latest Gen trucks and SUVs.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

In toyota's defence it was the first time they tried rack and pinion steering in a truck and the first [truck] they designed and built in the USA ... {yes IK the runners are still built in Japan/asia but the front end mechanical design is still wrong and common to all}

By the way anybody know who makes this bumper? except for the stinger hoop I like it.

Originally Posted by milowilli
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

well yes it is all well and good .

If you are that scared to drive perhaps it is time to quit .

then again people that never check under the trucks the techs at the quicky mart oil change might not notice as they tighten your drain plug with the 1" impact.

What next failsafe wheel bearings that never ever come apart.

Mandatory run flat tires in only one size for people that never check the air pressure.

mandatory limit on any horsepower over 100 in all vehicles!!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
well yes it is all well and good .

If you are that scared to drive perhaps it is time to quit .

then again people that never check under the trucks the techs at the quicky mart oil change might not notice as they tighten your drain plug with the 1" impact.

What next failsafe wheel bearings that never ever come apart.

Mandatory run flat tires in only one size for people that never check the air pressure.

mandatory limit on any horsepower over 100 in all vehicles!!
It's no use Wyoming...he's still stuck up on his soap box. Yes, we've all admitted that if it does fail, it will be a dangerous situation, but as people have said time and time again, it comes down to having a competent technician or yourself inspecting the equipment. I'm a technician at a Toyota dealership. I've seen thousands of vehicles, including thousands of tacomas, 4runners and early tundras. I check each and every one that I pick up with my lift. Like my colleagues, I notify the customer of every safety issue I can. Beyond that, there is nothing it can do. It comes down to what each individual can afford, and whether or not they care. People use and abuse these trucks, they get worn, and some of them rectify the problem. But from my experience, for every one who does inspect and rectify an issue, there are five who say ok, then forget it the moment they start their car to drive away. I'm sorry to all of those people who shown above have had a ball joint fail, but it really does come down to proper care.

Btw Wyoming, why would we need run flats when their is that annoying as crap tire light on the dash?

Last edited by 250000_yota; 03-06-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by aviator

By the way anybody know who makes this bumper? except for the stinger hoop I like it.
It's the 4xinnovations 4runner plate bumper but they added the 2 bend stinger. It's a really nice looking plate bumper, flows well with the front end http://4xinnovations.com/p-FB1140.html

Last edited by Android_2; 03-06-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 250000_yota
It's no use Wyoming...he's still stuck up on his soap box. Yes, we've all admitted that if it does fail, it will be a dangerous situation, but as people have said time and time again, it comes down to having a competent technician or yourself inspecting the equipment. I'm a technician at a Toyota dealership. I've seen thousands of vehicles, including thousands of tacomas, 4runners and early tundras. I check each and every one that I pick up with my lift. Like my colleagues, I notify the customer of every safety issue I can. Beyond that, there is nothing it can do. It comes down to what each individual can afford, and whether or not they care. People use and abuse these trucks, they get worn, and some of them rectify the problem. But from my experience, for every one who does inspect and rectify an issue, there are five who say ok, then forget it the moment they start their car to drive away. I'm sorry to all of those people who shown above have had a ball joint fail, but it really does come down to proper care.

Btw Wyoming, why would we need run flats when their is that annoying as crap tire light on the dash?
There you have it...perfectly said.

However, I bet we still get the "It's a bad design Toyota", endless rant.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Ya...I figured We would probably hear it again. It just needed to be said eventually. I work for Toyota. Even I think it's a crap design. But that doesn't mean that he needs to keep .

Last edited by 250000_yota; 03-06-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM

Ya...I figured We would probably hear it again. It just needed to be said eventually. I work for Toyota. Even I think it's a crap design. But that doesn't mean that he needs to keep .
Yes I am pissed and wish I could spank the designer for ruining the reputation of a Great Truck!! I love Toyota trucks..I build and modify them but I have no tolerance for engineering blunders!!! they screwed up big time. The first gen IFS was relatively bullet proof....hundreds of thousands of these trucks were built without balljoint failures!!! Second gen IFS wheels are now falling off and you accept that from Toyota??? Come on guys ..mechanical engineering is common sense. The first gen trucks had no brace behind the lower A- Arms..frames would spread and cave in with off road use..they fixed it in the second gen..put a huge chassis brace between the lower control Arm pivots..very strong but let the truck front suspension hang by 2 balls, 4 tiny bolts and hook up the steering to the balljoints!!!! What were they smoking???? Man I am pissed with them..look how much $$$ they cost the company in recalls. What about the shocked owners who never expected their Toyota truck to break in half due to rust or have their front wheels folded under the fenders???
Ok enough from me on this issue ..I take my spanking from you guys...peace!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM

All I'm saying is you've been ranting and raving about a known issue since the other thread you started, showing your friends truck in South America, and this thread dating back to November 2011. This issue has been documented on multiple Toyota and 4x4 forums, and by Toyota itself through recalls and TSB's (technical service bulletins).

So, in the full understanding that you are trying to shout to the heavens and justify every wrong doing Toyota has ever done (throw the 3VZ-E head gasket failures and the center relay rod failures while your at it ), I'm just pointing out that we've heard you. So please, step down and quit mucking up the forum.

Last edited by 250000_yota; 03-06-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Lol..u funny!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by milowilli
Lol..u funny!!!
Glad I can make someone laugh.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Android_2
It's the 4xinnovations 4runner plate bumper but they added the 2 bend stinger. It's a really nice looking plate bumper, flows well with the front end http://4xinnovations.com/p-FB1140.html
Thanks 'droid... I thought that stinger looked tacked on it does'nt seem to flow into the design at all... and the tubes look under size to me fwiw
Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

I think we can all climb down off our soap boxes now folks... every mfg. cuts corners or makes a bad choice now and then or does'nt anticipate something becoming an issue... for example horse meat in ground meat products... nothing wrong with it horse tastes good IK I've eaten it... but when you don't out it on the label or people expect "pure beef" burgers people get all out of shape... or you build to a price and get exploding Pintos...

hmm anybody catch the horse theme lol...

at least Toyota steps up when they find something wrong and issue recalls even on vehicles approaching 20yrs old {steering link recall}...
as for people not doing needed work when they are told about it sometimes it comes down to budget and others to trust, a lot of people don't trust their mechs. not to try to "pad the bill" with unneeded work... and since a lot of shops won't allow the customer under the hoist to be actually shown the issue for "insurance reasons" the cust. ignores the advice.
The budget problem could be solved if there was a system to allow the customer to pay in installments... that is a credit issue that the mfgs. could work on through their existing credit devisions... the under hoist one by making the customer sign a waiver of liability of some kind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Truck, 4Runner, Tundra Balljoint Failures