Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

toyota dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota dealerships

are the toyota dealerships somewhat forth coming on information about a vehicle they serviced? it seems from the carfax on my new purchase it has been serviced regularly at a toyota dealership. so my question is, if i call them will they let me know when my timing belt was replaced? (if they did it)
i bought it off a different toyota dealership and the salesman said since it was at a different dealership he couldnt find out. i read that as "i really dont feel like doing this for you" i have 137k on the clock, and i would just jump up and down for joy if i could find out when it was done.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I have called other dealerships with a VIN and asked for a service history and never had a problem.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 AM

I've never tried but I'm pretty sure the dealership I deal with would. Althought what garuntee that they are doing all the service.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was trying to sell an acura last year, and the previous owner had all the service performed at the acura dealer. So I thought it would be a good idea to get the paperwork from the dealership to have on hand.

Well I was told that they would TELL me anything I wanted to know, but could NOT print out the paperwork for me, due to the previous customers info on them. I even offered a "tip" and said they could cut off the owners info, still a NO-GO.

but if you just want to see if something in specific was done, at what mileage, it should not be an issue.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
toyota dealers are all linked up to corporate, and all service is logged and tracked worldwide. at least all the service done to my 4runner is linked, 'cuz I checked between Maine and Massachusetts and they had the history

they can access the info if they want to, as long as it was entered into the system...
Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 AM

i'm not sure if all dealerships do this but the ones i've dealt with say they put a sticker of some sort on the engine block to let you know that the timing belt has been changed. so you may want to see if that is done.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CLin9383
i'm not sure if all dealerships do this but the ones i've dealt with say they put a sticker of some sort on the engine block to let you know that the timing belt has been changed. so you may want to see if that is done.
When a Toyota dealer replaces the timing belt they put the sticker on the radiator or on the belt cover, never heard of them puttin it on the block.

Call the dealership that did the service. Tell them you recently acquired the vehicle in question and give them the VIN number. Ask them to tell you what service they have record of and when (milage) it was performed. You don't need the print out, just the info. If the dealership is close enough, go to their service department (heck take the truck withh you when you do) and explain it to them as well. Usually they will be more then willing to give you the information you request as its pretty obvious you are the new owner. You don't really need them to print it out, just get them to tell you, write it down and start your own records. Never had an issue asking a dealer in Washington state for info on a vehicle I owned.