Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Towing capability

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing capability

Searching for a 1st gen tacoma double cab 4x4. I have a boat that i tow to a local ramp and wondered if this would tow ok. Its a malibu ski wake boat. Fully loaded and gassed im at 4400 lbs with about 375 tongue weight. Would the double cab with 3.4L tow this with 2 to 4 people in the truck? Im looking at no more than 5 miles one way most trips with about 30 one way a few times a season.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i have been towing for 35 years, personally i don't go close to the max weight rating of a tow vehicle, no matter the distance.. have the 2nd batch of people take another ride
Is the truck properly equipped with a class III+ hitch? properly maintained brakes or neglected? Lots of variables..
are you proficient at towing? I have seen guys that go out and buy an F350 that think they can tow the titanic but have no frigging clue how to tow or that physics take over and don't realize stopping distances increase with the 18K toy hauler they just hooked up
found a few links

3705 lbs
http://trailers.com/tow-capacity/200...eCab_3786.html

another source said this
Gen 1 Tacoma (1995.5-2004)

Gen 1 trucks came with three engine options.

The 2.4L I4 (available only in the 5 lug 2wd (non pre-runner) trucks)
142 hp @ 5,000 rpm
160 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 3,500 lbs.
Max. Tongue weight 350 lbs.

The 2.7L I4 (Standard in all pre-runners and in 4x4 regular and xtra-cab trucks)
150 hp @ 4,800 rpm
177 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 3,500 lbs.
Max. Tongue weight 350 lbs.

The 3.4L V6 (Standard on the s-runner, and 4x4 double cab, and available in xtra-cab and double cab pre-runners as well as the xtra-cab 4x4)
190 hp @ 4,800 rpm
220 lb.-ft. @ 3,600 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 5,000 lbs. (*except s-runner 3,500 lbs.)
Max. Tongue weight 500 lbs. (*except s-runner 350 lbs.)

The Gen 1 trucks were NEVER available with a “towing package”

A relatively small number of trucks did come from the factory with a Toyota class III receiver hitch and 4-flat wiring. The trucks that were factory equipped like this also came with a different pitched fan to pull slightly more air through the radiator.

Other trucks had the class III hitch and 4-flat wiring installed at the dealer. These trucks do not generally have the alternate fan unless the customer specifically requested it.

To tow most things safely, these trucks will need some additional aftermarket parts installed such as a brake controller, and an automatic transmission cooler (obviously only if you have an automatic transmission. We’ll cover that later.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 5000 lb tow rating is the recommended maximum GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) that you can tow when the truck is loaded to its GVWR. So you have to know what is the GVWR of your truck? Theoretically, if the actual weight of the truck including cargo/passengers is less than the GVWR, then you can add the difference between the GVWR and the actual weight to your vehicle's tow rating.

Having said that, I would recommend to use a weight distributing hitch and trailer brakes when towing a trailer that weighs 70% or more of your vehicle's rated GTW. Better if your hitch is also equipped with sway control. And as mentioned above, make sure you have the auxiliary ATF cooler and have your brakes and coil/leaf springs checked.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
5 to 30 miles I would do it no problem.
But, only if the trailer had surge brakes or you wired it for electric or hydraulic brakes.
Also you will need a class III hitch as others mentioned.

If your cooling system is in good shape I wouldn't worry about a trans cooler if you have an auto.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Capability is also affected by the presence/absence of steep grades and your rpms going through them.

It looks like you're at your max, if not slightly over, particularly if those 4 passengers were adults (vs kids), and whatever else you carry along.

Definitely check hitch and ball rating. Aftermarket stuff can help make it safe to tow, but a stock 3.4 engine might need upgrades to actually give it the torque you need. Or find a way to shave off the excess weights.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

A Tacoma would never be my first choice to Tow anything that Heavy

Be different if it was once in the spring and then once before freeze up

I tow in the 2000 to 2500 pound range then I have been doing it quite often.

A day or two longer then Dropzone

In this day with the Traffic Volume Constantly being at 125 % alert is a given.

What were you using to Tow this boat before ??

How did you come up with the 4400 pound weight ??

Does it Include all the goodies for a day on the pond surprising how fast the weight add ups.

While one does what one needs to why put people yours and others the truck and the boat at risk

This does not take into account the cost of bringing what ever Truck you find into shape let alone all the Towing goodies
Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The weight has been done on a truck scale fully loaded with gear, drinks, toys and fuel. I currently use an 06 honda pilot 4x4 to tow. Its not the best but it gets the job done. My total towing years is about 18 years now. Ive had this boat for 3 years. Previous boat was roughly 2500 to 2800 and i towed that for 11 years prior to buyng a tundra using a 90 2nd gen 4 runner 3.0l, 02 honda odyssey van, and a 94 reg cab 22re 4x4 toy truck. Id really like to get the 03 or 04 double cab tacoma since i really like that style. I just started wondering how it would tow this boat i have. Id hate to have the truck and it not handle this load at all.