Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Tow straps

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by WATRD
I come from a rock climbing background
Never woulda guessed that one...

(Rob, I dunno why, but I just feel the urge to pick on you lately...hopefully you won't take it the wrong way.)

Jim
Old 04-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jruz
Never woulda guessed that one...

(Rob, I dunno why, but I just feel the urge to pick on you lately...hopefully you won't take it the wrong way.)

Jim
Well, it WAS a while ago... But I used to be a terror in the rocks. But I remember the moment well when I decided to keep my feet more on the ground. I was hanging from Haystack Rock on the top of Mt. Si when my partner above me slipped and dislodged a spray of rotten rock that came screaming down past me. It missed, but my immediate thought was "I am getting too old for this" and I decided to go with my gut.

Pick away... I will just consider the source
Old 04-23-2003, 08:33 PM

I've always been intrigued by rock climbing. Especially when I was into body building. I've come to realize that it takes a certain body-type to excel at that sport. Although I could move a lot more weight than those skilled rock-climbers...they could move that small amount of weight a whole lot more frequently than me.

Yeah, I've been a little jazzed lately. I have an interview on Friday...hopefully this is "the one".

Jim
Old 04-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jruz
I've always been intrigued by rock climbing. Especially when I was into body building. I've come to realize that it takes a certain body-type to excel at that sport. Although I could move a lot more weight than those skilled rock-climbers...they could move that small amount of weight a whole lot more frequently than me.

Yeah, I've been a little jazzed lately. I have an interview on Friday...hopefully this is "the one".

Jim
You were into body building? Now THAT I would never have guessed. Of course I could never be accused of looking at you that closely...

Good luck on the interview! I will cross my fingers and think positive thoughts for you In the same location as the last go around?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:48 PM

Yeah. I started in high school and it came naturally. People thought I was on the "roids" or something...but I think it was my Russian heritage.
Then two things happened and I'm not sure which was the beginning of the decline of my strength...
...I was introduced to alcohol.
...I cut my hair, which had been down past my shoulders.

So, either it was the devil's brew, or the "Sampson syndrome"...I will never know.

Actually the job is not in MS. I am going to stear clear of contracting and MS, unless I can get hired on FT - directly.

Jim
Old 04-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

I'll bet it was the Sampson thing... were you drinking when you cut it? hehehhe

Don't let one greasy, half-witted, bald-headed, chicken-f---er ruin it for you. Keep your options open. The easiest way to FT can often be CSG. But you can get *ahem*, <dumped> on a lot on the way along that route

But, so we don't hijack this thread too badly, seen any good recovery straps recently?
Old 04-24-2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by WATRD
But, so we don't hijack this thread too badly, seen any good recovery straps recently?
Indeed...
I still have not used my strap. I imagine it'll get some use one of these days.
Better to be prepared than SOL.

Only problem re: contract work is that I cannot go without income right now. My unemployment isn't nearly enough to cover the mortgage.

Jim
Old 06-27-2003, 02:06 AM

Hi
Check these shackle mounts out:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/backingplates/

And check were the've been mounted on the Disco.

But where can you mount them on the back of a 4Runner?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

First off, since the thread is about tow straps... anybody thats interested, my boss told me about a place here in asheville that makes them. He said he got his huge one (for his 2500 Chebby) for 20-30 bucks (but its been a while since he got it) I was thinking maybe we could get a group buy together. If people are interested, I'll figure out who they are again and if they have a website then I will get some reg prices and ask if they would be willing to do a group buy. And secondly, hows the best way to add shackles to a TJM. I'm new to this whole thing, so thanks a million!
Old 06-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Cheap Shackles

All this talk about straps, shackles, rigging and so on. I just would like to add my bit.
I'm building my own receiver shackle mount out of 2" square steel bar. I'll be about 6-7" long with two holes 1" apart perpindicular to each other so it can be mounted in the hitch horizontal or vertical. The end will be cut down to accomadate the shackle. I'm not sure how big to go.
Ok here's the point of my whole post. This is the site where I got the shackles.

CHEAP SHACKLES!

http://www.stageriggingonline.com/shackles.html

its $5.00 for a 3/4", imported, 4.75 Ton load rated shackle
$9.00 for it's US made counter part.

Here's the catch
Its a 50$ min order. I just went and got a good selection of shackels to add to the recovery bag.
The imports are from China. They are galvanized and will work great with some grease on the pin. The US made are not galvanized and the ones I got have a painted blue pin. So take a look. The shipping kinda sucks cause its from NY. This may a good option for a group buy

shackle shackle shackle
Old 06-28-2003, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, and I gots da Loops.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:46 PM

tow straps

I like both kinds of ends on a strap. Both can be handy. I have a strap with a loop on one end and a detachable cable with hook on the other. I made the cable with ubolts and hook for like $6 dollars at Ace. It can go on or off in a minute with a wrench. This is handy for trucks with no hooks etc. I however leave the cable on and use a towel or shirt in the middle of the strap in case it does come lose. If it does the "weight" takes all of the pop out of the strap. Rock Crawling Competitons make you have a "winch weight" which does the same thing.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:22 AM

These would make an excellent swap for the front tow hook...
Old 09-25-2003, 09:23 AM

would make an excellent swap for the front tow hook...

These

Kinda pricey tho.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:07 PM

i carry one tow strap and 4 recovery straps but i did not know about the red thread, thanks all for that great tidbit of info just goes to show you learn something new everyday here on the yotatech board or at least i do!
kerry
Old 09-25-2003, 07:22 PM

Just wanted on this thread!

Chris
Old 09-25-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ravencr
Just wanted on this thread!

Chris
Post padder...
Old 09-25-2003, 07:29 PM

Actually, I've never seen this thread, and when I get some more time I'm going to read through it to see what people's opinions are, because I'm about to purchase 4 shackles and a couple more recovery items, and thought this would be a good place to review. But, thanks for making me feel good!

Chris
Old 09-25-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're welcome...

If you liked that, you'll love this. j/k of course.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone remember that off-topic thread with the video clip of a recovery with tow hooks?
I remember everyone posting the same stuff I read here. I didn't think to download it then - I'd like to see it now so I have something to show people when they ask me.

Rob:
I've already saved that pic of yours

Quick Reply: Tow straps