Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire Impressions(wear factor)??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Impressions(wear factor)??

What are yalls impressions on these tires, mostly tread wear wise?

Dunlop Radial Mud Rover
Goodyear MT/R
BFG MT

I'm looking at a set of used MT/Rs and a brand new set of Dunlops(good price on 35s) and I want a tire that is going to wear good, I'm all about getting as much wear as I can for the money. Any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stump1883
What are yalls impressions on these tires, mostly tread wear wise?

Dunlop Radial Mud Rover
Goodyear MT/R
BFG MT

I'm looking at a set of used MT/Rs and a brand new set of Dunlops(good price on 35s) and I want a tire that is going to wear good, I'm all about getting as much wear as I can for the money. Any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
I have roughly 10k miles on my MT/R's and they don't show any tread wear. They still look brand new. Having said that, be careful with the MT/R's a couple different people on this board have had problems balancing them. In fact I have one MT/R that takes no less than 5 weights to get it balanced. The other three only have 1.
If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the BFG MT's.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking MT/Rs

If you get MT/Rs, get them at a place that can road force balance them and don't take any tires that have a road force value over 16-20, make them give you another tire. I got 5 MT/Rs that I rotate and they are smooth as glass on the interstate and great offroad. They have about 10K on them and still have some of those little rubber thingies on them in between the treads like new tires do.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Nic

Oops, I accidentaly erased my post.

Anyway, I have Dunlop Radial Rover RVs on my truck. I've only put about 12K miles on them. Tread wear is not noticeable.

What I wanted to say is I cannot get them balanced. They are crappy tires in my opinion. I took it to an independent garage a week ago and they road force/lug balanced the tires with only a slight improvement.

My next set will not be Dunlops or Goodyear-since Goodyear makes Dunlops. We use Goodyear for our fleet vehicles at work and we have to have them replaced all the time.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

I'm confused, if you have to have them replaced all the time then why would your next set be a set of Goodyears?
Old 04-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Nic

I'm not quite sure how I confused you, but, I said "My next set will NOT be Dunlops or Goodyear." That statement was about my personal vehicle (Tacoma) that just so happened to come with Dunlops from the original owner.

If you are referring to me having them replaced all time, that is on our work vehicles (not my Tacoma). I work for State Govt. Our Dept. has a contract with Goodyear for the tires we use. Whenever we have a tire problem on work vehicles, I have no choice but to go to Goodyear.

Sorry about any confusion.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about those, except the MTR's don't handle mud well. I have gotten 70k miles out of a set of Bridgestone Dueler MT's (285/75/16) on my Z-71 and 80k miles out of my last set of Mud Kings on my Z-71 (285's also), currently on my second set of Mud Kings on the Z-71 with 33k miles on them and show very little wear. I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler Mt's (32x11.50x15)on my 4Runner that have about 20k miles on them with very little wear.

Of those three tires get the BFG's, if $ is the main issue, get the Dunlops. My next set of tires on the 4Runner will be BFG MT's and probably Mud Kings for the Z-71. The Mud Kings were $596 mounted, balanced, lifetime rotate and balance, including tax for 4-285/75/16. The only downside to a Mud King, I guess this a downside, is that they look plain from the side b/c they have no sidewall lugs like the MTR of BFG.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

No confussion, I just can't read . As for tires, I good deal popped up on me and I had to jump. I was looking into BFGs but when your getting 35's they get really pricey. It was $741 for the tires, lifetime mount and balance, and haszzard protection, but that was just too much for me on this budget build of my 85' Runner. The deal I got was on 4 MT/Rs for $400 plus shipping from NJ. The tires are only a month old, 95% tread, so I feel like a got a deal. Even if these tires only last me 2-3 years, I'll be happy with a $400 investment.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dragr1
Not sure about those, except the MTR's don't handle mud well.
Not sure who you've been talking to, but that's a load of crap. We ran MTRs on our competition mud runner with very good results. A lot depends on the tire size and the HP of the vehicle, but they are by no means a bad mud tire.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MNBOY
Not sure who you've been talking to, but that's a load of crap. We ran MTRs on our competition mud runner with very good results. A lot depends on the tire size and the HP of the vehicle, but they are by no means a bad mud tire.
I briefly had a set of 285/75/16's on my Z-71 and they were no where near as good in the mud as the Bridgestone Dueler MT's and Mud Kings that I have had on the same truck in the same size and in the same places. Given, in Alabama red clay, anything other than a bogger clogs up, but the MTR clogged up and would not clean at all.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:31 PM

Scott-

If you get 2 years out of a set of MT/R's, you're doing something.... not driving....

I get 35k, MAX out of a set... on the 4Runner. And that's w/ ideal air pressure and occasional wheeling. For that very reason, the runner is wearing BFG A/T's.... the 315's on the cruiser are showing serious wear already, and I'm @ 25k on those... I'd guess 1 year, MAX on your MT/Rs, depending on your driving/wheeling schedule.

J
Old 04-11-2004, 12:15 AM

BFg

hey Stump,
I stongly think that you should get the BFg's...i went threw almost the same problem about a month ago....between the BFG's or the MT/R's...i know people with both tires and they have said that the MT/R's wear fast and are not good in the mud....but are really good in the snow and plus they are more expensive in my case.....the BFG's are rated the second best in the mud...next to mudders...and they have a good tread life and they are cheaper
but its up to you
cody